Notices

Free weekend in Beijing

Oct 1st, 2012, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Free weekend in Beijing

My husband has a conference in Beijing in mid Oct and has a free weekend that he wants to use to see the Great wall and the Terracotta Warriors. I would really appreciate a respon to the following questions:
- recommended travel agent that do day trips. He has been recommended Beijing Discovery tour - has anyone used them?
- Is his plan to see both the Great wall and the Terracotta warriors feasible? Or should he just stick to one? Which one?

Many thanks
Oct 1st, 2012, 06:24 PM

The terracota warriors need a whole day. The Great Wall is a whole day as well. Xian is a couple of hours by flight from Beijing. So it is possible, if a bit tight.

If you are not going back to China, go for it. They are both awesome.
Oct 3rd, 2012, 10:40 AM

Maybe you can visit the Great Wall at Badaling first thing in the morning and then in the evening fly to Xian for an overnight stay and see the warriors the next morning before fying back to Beijing.

If you decide that you can only do one then I'd suggest renting a car to visit the Great Wall at Simatai. It's a few hours outside of Beijing, and the remote location is stunning.
Oct 3rd, 2012, 11:18 AM

Shwets, if I were you, I would make sure your husband realizes that the Terracotta Warriors are not a daytrip from Beijing but are in Xian, a good 700 miles by train from Beijing.

It may indeed suit him to take a flight or overnight train from Beijing to Xian just to see them on his one free weekend, but it is possible he might choose to do something special in Beijing instead once he was clear on the travel requirements of getting to see the warriors.

Beijing has the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, the Summer Palace, the Temple of Heaven, the Lama Temple, etc., right there. Lots of local traffic in Beijing, to be sure, but no planes or overnight trains required.

If his work colleagues are already going to show him the major sights during the work week, that is a different matter, of course.

Search this Thread