Free Day in Chiang Mai

Nov 19th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Free Day in Chiang Mai

We will be in Chiang Mai in late June 2008 and will be spending our first day seeing the city itself and then spending about 4 days in the surrounding area visiting some of the hill tribes, Chiang Rai, and the Golden Triangle. Then we will most likely spend one more day in Chiang Mai before heading on to Phuket and I am wondering what we should do that day. We rode African elephants in Zimbabwe, so I'm not sure that we need to ride an elephant, but I'm wondering if going to Elephant Nature Park is worth it or if we should go to Doi Suthep for the day or venture out to Doi Inthanen. Any advice? Thanks so much.
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:00 PM
CFW

Personally, I think Doi Suthep is one of the abolutely must-sees in Chaing Mai, but you will not spend more than a couple of hours there. If you are interested in shopping, Sankampaeng(sp?) road has some nice shops for laquerware and celadon. There is also a small village in that area where they specialize in woodcarving. Since you will already have spent time in the hilltribe areas between Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai and in the Golden Triangle area, you may feel as if Doi Inthanon is more of the same type of scenery, but we loved the day we spent there with Sgt Kai, who has received excellent reviews on this forum. It was very peaceful and quiet and we enjoyed several tropical waterfalls.
Nov 20th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I have seen Sgt. Kai's name previously. How would we get in touch with him if we were interested in hiring him as a guide?
Nov 20th, 2007, 06:33 AM

You could certainly visit the elephants, or some other venue and still have time for Wat Doi Suthep. I can't think of a better way of ending a visit to Chiang Mai than to visit there in the late evening. So much so that, provided we are here in June of 2008, I will offer to drive you there!

Don't forget to visit the Northern Village in the Airport Plaza, in the heat of June it is the ideal place to shop -- or just window shop.
Nov 20th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks tangata - I may just take you up on that offer ;-)! We will most likely be leaving Chiang Mai for Phuket on July 1st so our final day there would be June 30th. Great idea to go there in the evening. I suspect the days will be fairly long that time of year.
Nov 20th, 2007, 04:00 PM

Sunset is 1905 (7:05 pm) on June 30th.

End of twilight 19:29

Nov 20th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Glad you put the translation in there or I'd still be scratching my head ! I was never one for easy math. I'll have to start practicing now so I'll know what time our flights really leave. With it getting dark at about 1600 (I think that's 4 !) 1900 will seem like a really long day.
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:18 PM
CFW

If Tangata isn't in Chiang Mai when you are, here's Sergeant Kai's e-mail address: [email protected]

His website is chiangmaitours.com so you can get more info. He's just a delightful person to spend a day with and will work with you to plan what interests you.
Nov 20th, 2007, 07:47 PM

I also agree with the reports on Sgt. Kai. WE had him tour us for 5 days in CM-CR & the Golden Triangle. He is very easy to talk to and very accomodating to whatever your wishes are-I loved Northern Thailand-so much more peaceful than BKK & Pattaya-Chris
Nov 21st, 2007, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link to Sgt. Kai. I will definitely be contacting him to show us around the Chiang Mai area. I think we'll skip Doi Inthanen and definitely do Doi Suthep, The elephants we will ponder.

Off to buy my turkey now! Happy turkey day to all you Americans out there.

Search this Thread