Thailand in October-Girls trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 of us "gals" are heading to Thailand in October. I've been there once before, on a guided trip with OAT. What do you think of this plan, feel free to make any suggestions..

This will be a budget trip. We want to spend no more than $200.00/night, so that would be $50.00 per person. I think guesthouses would be best for this, or maybe villas.

We will fly into BKK and depart the next morning for Hua Hin (taking the train). I guess we'd have to buy tickets in advance from here? Relax in Hua Hin for 4 nights, then back to Bangkok for 6-7 nights, hopefully stay at/near river.

After our time in Bangkok, take the overnight train (for the experience) to Chiang Mai for 3-4 nights, fly back from Chiang Mai to LAX.

These will be the basics. I think we will not have a daily plan, and will just play it by ear as to what we do from day to day. I know the main things to see/do in Bangkok, the other areas, not so sure.

We all enjoy hanging out and laughing, eating and drinking, and are all physically fit and athletic. Is bike rental feasible in Chiang Mai or Hua Hin? I did the Co Van Kessel bike tour of Bangkok and it was thrilling, but not sure I'd want to do it again!!

Thanks for any and all suggestions and comments about my plan.

Lynnie
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 08:29 AM

Your plan sounds good to me! For activities in HH and CM - I've rent ATVs in CM and went on a tour on wheel around the Dois(mountains) which I thought was fun. You can also rent bikes if you wish and there are many rental places for ATVs, bikes as well as motorbikes. For CM town itself, I think it will be fun to bike around the old city - within the city wall and visit the various Wats. A guide would be helpful.

For HH exploring Sam Roi Yod national park on bikes would be fun. http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp...sp?npid=8&lg=2

Go to the Phraya Nakhon Cave while in the park, take about 1/2 a day by a combination of boat and trekking(biking) and do the Khao Daeng Canal cruise. All very inexpensive and beautiful. Another place that I like to visit for lunch and relaxation is a local vineyard own by the owners of Red Bull drinks. http://www.huahinhillsvineyard.com/

Let me know if you want restaurant recommendations etc..
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 08:45 AM

Before I forget - here's a place to relax and chill in CM - Vieng Joom On Teahouse. http://www.vjoteahouse.com/

Quite popular and you ladies might like it.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 09:43 AM

Pook, that teahouse looks really nice. I think Maeng and I might like it too! Thanks!
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

We will certainly be going to that teahouse!
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 11:21 AM

I don't know if your Hua Hin plans are set in stone, but I think you would probably be better off visiting an Island like Phuket. Better beaches, as well a lot more to do.

You can get some great places to stay very cheap. A villa out here would cost more than what you want to pay though, so Guest Houses would probably be your best bet.

Have a look online for some of the things you want to do, but I would recommend avoiding Patong unless you like to Party.

I have written several articles at - http://guides.suksanvillas.com

Enjoy
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 11:45 AM

If you're willing to share rooms, for $100 per night, you can get some very decent hotels in BKK and Chiang Mai. Check out SDawadee.com. Also, if you want to fly to Phuket or Krabi. Air Asia has very cheap flights.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

so in early October would Phuket or Krabi be a better choice than Hua Hin? I just figured it would be easiest to get to Hua Hin for beachy relaxation.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 02:30 PM

early october can be difficult---end of the rainy season...

in bkk look at a serviced apartment...on the river it would be centre point silom-- multiple bedrooms
or the various marriott and ascott serviced apartment properties-- many of them are nicer than hotels...

in HH i like the hyatt the best

do any of you have any sheraton points? really good deals for cash and points at www.spg.com

i like to rent a car in HH and drive all around...
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 03:38 PM

The advantages of Hua Hin over Phuket is that it's easier to get to and from Bangkok and the area is quite compact. Hua Hin accommodation is cheaper than Phuket or Krabi as well and I really like the town of Hua Hin over Phuket. Phuket and Krabi are nice, more expensive and does have better beaches for swimming. For October though(the sea can be rough and often cannot swim for safety reason) being the end of the monsoon the weather can be unpredictable so I would opt for Hua Hin. If the weather is bad while you're here, you can always come back to Bangkok early or go to Chiang Mai early.

For general "beachy" relaxation I would recommend Hua Hin in October but if you want to risk the weather then Phuket or Krabi can be better. A good comparison is that Hua Hin is like Santa Barabara while Phuket and Krabi is like going to Hawaii from LA.

Carol,

Dang and friends really like the tea house. It's quite beautiful inside and they offer several type of teas and snacks.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 03:44 PM

Here are some pictures from Hua Hin beach mix with personal family shots.

http://khun-pook.smugmug.com/Travel/...565911_ZBVcG/1
http://khun-pook.smugmug.com/Holiday...10838232_xhAmt
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Great pics!!! I really think I'm sticking to Hua Hin for this trip. The Hyatt looks great and fits our budget, plus I like being closer to Bangkok if the weather does not co-operate,
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 07:31 AM

Check out the brand new Inter Continental in Hua Hin as well.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 07:43 AM

the sheraton north of town is very nice in HH and any new hotel is always a plus..
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 07:49 AM

intercontinental appears not to be on the ocean....i would find this to be a problem in HH
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 07:52 AM

Bob,

The IC is on the ocean perfect part of the beach as well only a few meters from my house.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 08:03 AM

OK Bob I see why you think the IC is not on the beach. The hotel's website uses Google Map for their location but the map is off. The front of the hotel is on the main road from town and the hotel stretches right to the beach.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 09:40 AM

ok...i could not imagine building a new international hotel not on the beach....this is better