Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Frasier's Hill - Anyone Been There? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/frasiers-hill-anyone-been-there-733805/)

smandel Sep 3rd, 2007 12:18 PM

Frasier's Hill - Anyone Been There?

I plan to do some birding in Frasier's Hill area about 100km from KL. Has anyone been there? Any hotel recommendations? Any other information of interest - I'll be there 3 days at the end of October. Any experience or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Naturaltan Sep 3rd, 2007 01:32 PM

Ye Olde Smokehouse Hotel is the place to stay. This 13 room hotel is modelled on the Smokehouse in Mildenhall,UK. A taste of bygone Colonial days. Some rooms with balconies facing golf course have excellent views.

I have not been to Frasier's Hill for ages but I am told there are few more hotels being built since I was last there. I don't remember seeing many birds while i was there nevertheless it was a refreshing and welcoming change from KL city.

StanKase Sep 3rd, 2007 04:11 PM

Yes, we were there in May '06. It is unimpressive but it is worth several hours if you are really into birding. Why not stay in KL and hire a taxi and negotiate rate to drive you there on a nice day, weather-wise, and it will take less than 2 hrs. to Frasier Hill. Spend 4-5 hrs. having the driver take you around for you to walk and do some sightings and back to KL. It should cost $80-$100 for 2 persons for 8 hrs. total.

TravelTwiddle Sep 3rd, 2007 07:30 PM

Despite all the hype, Frasier's Hill isn't good for birding. It's just a near-enough place for KL urbanites who think their are birding.

Stan is right. The place won't impress you.

If you're an ardent fan of birds, check out ....

1. Malim Nawar - a new Kinta Bird Sanctuary has be earmarked by Forestry & Wildlife Dept, you won't find it in any touristy maps. Rare endemic bird - Purple Swamp Hen. The countryside is also peppered with interesting historical sites ... eg Kellie's Castle, oldest Tudor-styled hospital (still running after 120 years!) ... etc Loads of local wetland birds. 2 hrs from KL.

2. Kuala Gula - your travels in end Oct is just right. Birds from Siberia, Monggolia and inner Asia fly to Kuala Gula to escape the winter. Raptors, herons, egrets, stork (yes, the rare Milky Stork can be found here). Brahimny kites, White Breasted Eagles, Chinese Egrets ... etc. 3 hours from KL.

3. Bagan Krian - Another great place for migrating and local birds. Great watch - the Red-crowned Mangrove Woodpeacker. It's shoreline is also dotted with fishing villages and aqua-farms. Great sunset. Bring along a very good night vision camera to see fire-fly colonies make trees glitter like Christmas tree. 3.5 hrs from KL.

I suggest you either base yourself in Ipoh or Taiping. Not KL.

smandel Sep 4th, 2007 04:14 PM

Thanks for all of this information!

Steve

StanKase Sep 5th, 2007 05:58 AM

For sheer beauty the Cameron Highlands also just under 3 hrs. from KL has magnificant miles of tea plantations and flowers andgorgeous butterflies. I am not certain of the variety of birds at that time of year. Steve may be able to answer.
It sounds like staying in 1 place may not make sense but a rental or driver, if your budget allows, are the best ways to see the most in 3 days. You can get a 3 star hotel for $100 in KL