My family and I are thinking of spending a month (4 or 5 weeks) in Taiwan from late December 2011 to Late Jan / early Feb 2012.
Why Taiwan, well we like that it is an island (and so a manageable area to cover), and we're interested in Chinese and native culture, and it will be warmer than the mainland at that time of year!
We'll spend some time in Taipei, of course. But then we want to travel around. So three initial questions, in the hope that there are some 'old Taiwan hands' here who can help.
1. Would we be mad to hire a car? I've heard that the driving can be pretty wild. But we want to be able to get to more 'off the beaten track' places'...
2. Any ideas for an itinerary, covering most of the big sights?
3. Has anyone been to Lanyu Island? What is the trip over there like in winter? I've heard the seas can be bad (and I get sea sick!).
Hope to hear from some of you. THANK YOU
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 best way to spend two days in Chiang Mai
- 2 RHK's Fall SEA Trip
- 3 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 4 Trip to India Feb 1-18
- 5 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan
- 6 VN + Japan 6 wks March/April - which order?
- 7 PNG : Plumed, primal, proud...
- 8 Travel options from Negombo to Mirissa
- 9 Vietnam April 5 - 16
- 10 Wat Arun
- 11 Solo or group tour for first trip to India?
- 12 Miyajima Island
- 13 Vietnam, Cambodia & Hong Kong - Fall 2017 Trip Report
- 14 What to do with a Layover in Taipei?
- 15 Family trip to Thailand for Christmas and possibly New year
- 16 Vientiane to LP December
- 17 Safest beach area for solo female in Sri Lanka
- 18 Hotel in Vientiane 18-24 December
- 19 How to travel from Narita airport to Kawaguchiko
- 20 Prelim itinerary Java, Bali
- 21 5 days in Singapore
- 22 ONLY 3 DAYS in BEIJING -BEST THINGS TO DO?
- 23 Shanghai in January
- 24 24hrs in Seoul on Christmas..what to do
- 25 Myanmar tour companies