Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Four weeks in November - Where to go? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/four-weeks-in-november-where-to-go-897461/)

mcbg1 Jul 4th, 2011 10:01 AM

Four weeks in November - Where to go?

This is kind of similar to an old thread of mine but since we changed our travel dates, I thought I'd start a new thread. I am bringing my parents for their first trip to Asia in November and I am not sure what kind of itinerary we should follow. We have about four weeks (27 nights) and we will be flying in and out of Bangkok (got a great deal with Qatar Airways).

I went to the following places last year and would like to revisit some of them: Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Siem Reap, Bangkok, Krabi (Ao Nang) and Koh Phi Phi. I would also like to visit some new places like Langkawi and Chiang Mai. I am open to other suggestions. I'm just not sure what kind of itinerary I should decide on. I guess it would depend on which low-cost airlines offer direct flights between each destination. I would have loved to visit Borneo but I don't think November would be the right time. One thing's for sure, 10-14 days of the trip will be dedicated to beach destinations.

I am thinking of doing something like this:

Arrive in Bangkok early morning, spend 3-4 nights
Fly to Singapore, spend 3-4 nights (I loved the city last year, especially the food!)
Fly to Langkawi or Chiang Mai, spend 4 nights
Fly to Phuket/Krabi, spend 7-10 nights, perhaps stay a few nights on Phi Phi or Koh Lanta?
Fly back to Bangkok for a few nights before flying back home

I am not sure if there would be more room to visit new places but feel free to comment, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)
Dino

Kathie Jul 4th, 2011 10:21 AM

If you are going to spend 7-10 nights at Thai beaches, why even consider Langkawi? It's another international beach resort. But you might want to consider Georgetown, Penang for 4 nights instead. Air Asia does fly there from KL. It's a fascinating area, historically, with an interesting array of cultural influences: British, Indian, Chinese and Malay. But if you liked the food in Singapore, you'll love the food here. It's famous for its hawker stalls. We stayed at the E&O, a fabulous historic hotel.

I'm not really find of Chiang Mai, though some people love it. I would, however, consider a stop in the Golden Triangle area, staying at the Anantara as a very different option. I don't know if Air Asia flies to Chaing Rai or not.

mcbg1 Jul 4th, 2011 10:30 AM

If we visited Langkawi, we would spend less time in southern Thailand but I guess they're pretty similar so why visit both?

I think Air Asia flies to Chiang Rai. I definitely would love to spend some time in the Golden Triangle area. The Anantara might be above our budget but I'm sure there are other options. I'll look into this. Keep it coming. :)

mcbg1 Jul 4th, 2011 10:40 AM

I'd also really like to fit Siem Reap into this trip as I think my visit to Cambodia last year was one of the most interesting experiences of my entire life. I think my parents would enjoy it. Are there flights from Siem Reap to Chiang Mai or Krabi?

Kathie Jul 4th, 2011 11:10 AM

No flights from Siem Reap to Krabi or Chiang Mai. You have to go through Bangkok. Do you know about the Bangkok Air Discovery Pass? Flights to/from Siem Reap are quite expensive, but the Bangkok AIr pass can be a way to reduce expenses.

BTW, someone here recently posted that a travel agent in Bangkok that many of us have used for air tickets could get them a good rate at the Anantara.

mcbg1 Jul 4th, 2011 11:24 AM

I've heard about the Discovery Pass but I'm not sure how much it cost and how it works. I'll try to look for some info.

What rate did they get for the Anantara? Would I have to book in person in Bangkok?

Kathie Jul 4th, 2011 01:34 PM

Take a look at the Bangkok Air website for more info on the Discovery Pass. Also look here on Fodors for how others have booked.

I have no idea what rate they got at the Anantara. The travel agent is Eddie at the AmEx agency in Bangkok. [email protected] email him and he can give you a rate for your specific dates.

rhkkmk Jul 4th, 2011 03:47 PM

penang is an excellent suggestions and in fact i liked it much better than langkawi---more to do...

if you go to langkawi take a look at bon ton.... a great place to stay and eat...

you might like either the le meridien or better the jw marriott at khoa lak....

mcbg1 Jul 4th, 2011 04:34 PM

Our flights are officially booked. Montreal-Bangkok roundtrip on Qatar Airways for 900$ all in!

We will have 25 nights total. Our flight back home from Bangkok leaves at 2:30 am so we probably won't book an hotel for the night. Hopefully we'll be able to get a late checkout, go out for dinner/shop/walk and come back to the hotel late in the evening to take a taxi to the airport.

Kathie Jul 4th, 2011 06:16 PM

You got a great deal!

rhkkmk Jul 4th, 2011 07:30 PM

fab price... will you stop for a day or two in Qatar?

Smeagol Jul 5th, 2011 04:54 AM

I would second Penang, v interesting place with great food and lots to see and do.

mcbg1 Jul 5th, 2011 05:21 AM

I would have loved to visit Qatar but we only have 2-3 hours at the airport. Maybe I'll try calling to ask for a longer stopover...

mcbg1 Jul 9th, 2011 04:42 PM

We've decided that we want to stay in Thailand the whole trip to avoid wasting too much time travelling from one place to another. However, we will do a side trip to Singapore. The itinerary is now (not final)

3 nights in Bangkok
4 nights in Chiang Mai (we would be there for the Loy Krathong festival)
4 nights in Singapore
4 nights in Ao Nang
4 nights in Ko Lanta
4 nights in Koh Phi Phi
2 nights in Bangkok before flying back home

I know 12 nights is a lot of beach time but if it was up to my parents, we would there for 4 weeks so I'm happy I talked them down to 2 weeks lol. I don't mind though since I thought the islands around Ao Nang were stunning last year. It's also at the end of our trip so it will leave us a lot time to rest before flying back home and going back to work.

mcbg1 Jul 9th, 2011 04:44 PM

Also, should we fly to Chiang Rai instead from Bangkok for 1-2 nights and hire a driver/take a bus down to Chiang Mai for Loy Krathong (on November 10th this year I think).