Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Four Seasons Bangkok (Regent Hotel) (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/four-seasons-bangkok-regent-hotel-541372/)

rr229 Jul 3rd, 2005 04:39 PM

Four Seasons Bangkok (Regent Hotel)

Hello. For those of you who have stayed in the Four Seasons Bangkok, I was wondering if you can tell me if the room is worth $170 a night? We are considering staying there our last night of our 2 week vacation which is also our 1 year wedding anniversary. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you.

rhkkmk Jul 3rd, 2005 07:36 PM

it is worth it, but money is relative...the location is good,,,my favorite bkk restaurant, biscotti, is located there....it is a prestige hotel, the lobby is beautiful...it would be great for a special occasion...for slightly more money, however i would prefer the peninsula...

Kathie Jul 3rd, 2005 07:37 PM

The Four Seasons is nice, but that's a high price for that hotel unless you're there at the highest time of the year. For a really special last night, I'd recommend one of the hotels along the river. If you want the absolute best, you can choose between the Pen (very modern) and the Oriental (very traditional). You should be able to get the Pen for less than $170 (check their website) but the Oriental will be more than the Four Seasons.

hobbes Jul 3rd, 2005 07:44 PM

Pl advise what appeals to you in hotels. If river location appeals I would say consider the Chakrabongse Villas for a very special experience. In terms of service and city location the Four Seasons is impeccable.

Scotters Jul 3rd, 2005 08:22 PM

Since the Peninsula ($162) and the Four Season ($170) are roughly the same then I would choose the Pen anyday. However if you plan to do a lot of shopping then the FS is in a better location for this. Rates above are for low season and include taxes/servive charge but no breakfast.

rr229 Jul 3rd, 2005 09:02 PM

I am staying at the Marriot resort and Spa at the beginning of my trip, so I will have the "river" experience then. Why is Peninsula "better" than the four seasons? How new is the Peninsula? How about th Sukothai? I looked into the Oriental but it is $199 a night...is that worth it? Thanks again.

hobbes Jul 3rd, 2005 09:14 PM

If you are already doing the river bit at the start of your holiday I would stay with the Four Seasons - tho I think u could get a better rate. The Four Seasons is a great hotel, location esp. I do not like the Sukhothai location or rooms that much - tho I would def reco you go there for a meal, pref the chocolate buffet on Sunday if you are a chocolate fan. At the Oriental you will not get a great room if you try to book at a cheaper rate - which for an anniv night would be a shame. Stay with the Four Seasons!

glorialf Jul 4th, 2005 02:45 AM

$199 is a great rate for the Oriental and it is worth every cent. But the real question is what kind of hotel you prefer -- if you like old world elegance rather than 21st century high tech stay at the Oriental or the 4 Seasons. If not, the Penn. When I say the hotels are old that does not mean they are in any way shabby or lack amenities. Rather it is a feel and a style of decor. I'm not a fan of the Penn but I'm in the minority. You can see a lot of discussion about all three hotels on this board and many more reviews at tripadvisor.com. Personally my first choice would be the Oriental, my second choice would be the 4 Seasons and my third choice would be the Penn. But they are all terrific hotels. The prices sound like better deals in terms of normal rates for the Penn and Oriental.

Guenmai Jul 5th, 2005 06:35 AM

It's definitely worth it as far as I'm concerned. That's where I stay although I've tried out lots of different hotels in Bangkok, I always return to the Four Seasons...can't wait to get back next month! Happy Travels!

Guenmai Jul 5th, 2005 06:46 AM

As far as which hotel to stay in...it all comes down to personal preference.And we...in this forum... are all highly opinionated when it comes to hotels in Bangkok.We have our die-heart favorites. I have personally actually stayed at both the Four Seasons and the Peninsula. Was at the Peninsula just August 2004...and the Pen is not for me. Yes, it's high tech and the bathrooms are beautiful...but for me the FEEL of a hotel is more important than the actual rooms...I stay at the YMCA Hotel in Singapore and although it is obviously not a five-star establishment, I love the place.I'm very flexible. So, like I said it's personal preference. I felt the Peninsula a bit cold and sterile. When I walked through the front door, on arrival day, I knew that it probably wasn't going to be for me. But, I gave it a night and then went back to the FS. When I walked through the front door there...I had the same big smile on my face as I did the first time I ever stepped foot into that hotel.This coming trip, I will give the Oriental a one night try. Happy Travels!

glorialf Jul 5th, 2005 06:46 AM

rr229-- The Sukothai is a lovely hotel but in a very inconvenient location and it feels very cold to me. No one is ever in the lobby. Everything is super quiet and remote feeling. Grounds are lovely but that's all.

Personally I don't think the Penn is better than the 4 Seasons but many disagree. I do prefer the Oriental to the 4 Seasons however.

The Peninsula is about 5 years old.

Guenmai Jul 5th, 2005 06:53 AM

I'm reading little bits of information at a time...about your Sukothai Hotel question...I haven't actually stayed at the hotel, but I called over there one trip and made an appointment with the personal realtions person to have an extensive tour of the place and was shown rooms at every level and the place is beautiful, but the FS still wins out, plus the location is not the best as far as transportation. The Metropolitan Hotel is next door to the Sukothai. I really liked the Metropolitan. I also stayed there in Aug 2004. It's ultra modern,young, and hip, but it's not your "traditional" Thai experience of a hotel. If I were you, I would maybe have a meal at the Sukothai and/or at the Metropolitan Hotel. Happy Travels!

Jim0884 Jul 5th, 2005 03:11 PM

i agree with the comments about the "feel" of a place. As much as I like the Pen, I love the feel of the Sukhothai (but also dislike the location), and also feel very happy and relaxed when I step into the Shangri La, also on the river, but curiously left out of most discussions here. Perhaps because of its size?

rr229 Jul 5th, 2005 03:17 PM

Thank you all very much. I think I will probably go with the Four Seasons, as it sounds like you can't go wrong with it. I appreciate all your advice. I still have somem time to think it over...