Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Found a Decent Hotel in the Maldives!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/found-a-decent-hotel-in-the-maldives-527736/)

TracyB May 9th, 2005 11:58 AM

Found a Decent Hotel in the Maldives!!

After months of researching an accomodation in the Maldives after our 2 week tour of Kerala coming up in November, I have finally booked something!!(just incase anyone else is looking)

It is called Veligandu Island Resort..(4*)Unfortunately, we did not book the Water Bungalow (still may upgrade yet)but opted for a Beach Bungalow, which is literally, right on the Beach..$222.00 U.S. per night including Breakfast, Lunch and Supper..You get there by seaplane (20 minute ride) which is U.S. $155.00 per person..It get's very good ratings from many travel review websites..Anyhow, just thought it may be of interest to someone looking for an accomodation in the Maldives..

Now, I just need 4 nights of hotels in Dubai and we are set!

JamesA May 10th, 2005 11:25 AM

Interesting, Maldives remains on my list but was always put off by the high prices! What are you looking for in Dubai price/stylewise?

TracyB May 10th, 2005 03:34 PM

Yes, the prices in the Maldives are extremely high..If you search, there are some accomodations that are reasonably priced. My husband is having a heart failure as to what the extra cost will be to stay 3 nights in the Maldives..But when you come all the way from Canada and are only an hour flight away, it just seems wrong not to go there!!
Anyhow, in Dubai, we are looking for a good hotel in a good area, but is there anything in the 100.00 U.S. range that you are aware of??

JamesA May 10th, 2005 04:46 PM

Dubai prices are up on what they were, I am off there myself in July for a couple of days and used to go quite often. $100 would always be 'my' limit.
These are some ideas in 3 star region: Imperial Suites($78) Landmark($74) Gulf Inn($88), the Pearl Residence (my current plan) offers studio rooms with own kitchenette also washing machine, micowave etc, also there is a gym and swimming pool if you prefer that sort of place at about $90.
The Ascot is 4 star around $98, close to everything, but no pool.

JamesA May 10th, 2005 04:55 PM

I just thought, November might be higher as busier time as it is real hot in July, but if you budget around the $100 you should find a fine place. There are excellent Lebanese Restaurants in addition to cusines from all over, including Thai, Indian, Japanese, Iranian, even Cuban, Greek, French and Italian.

TracyB May 10th, 2005 07:10 PM

Let me know how the hotel is that you stay at when you go to Dubai and/or if you notice any other good places...I will check out some of the hotels that you mentioned..I can't wait to go..Unfortunately I still have 6 months til take off!!

salamander136 May 11th, 2005 09:57 AM

Hi Tracy,

Finding information on packages to the Maldives from Canada (Toronto) is a real challenge! I'm hoping I can leverage some of the research you've already done. I'm helping a friend plan his honeymoon, and the Maldives are one option.

Can you tell me:

- Did you book directly through the hotel for the full board package you've arranged?
- If not, which tour operator did you book with and what is their contact info?
- Were you able to find any other hotels (with water bungalows) that offer full board?
- What airline are you flying and out of which city?
- What was the approximate airfare?
- Have you found any sites which detail the weather? i.e. confirms when the rainy season occurs
- Any other useful information you have time to write!

Thanks!

TracyB May 11th, 2005 01:42 PM

Salamander..it is next to impossible to find a tour operator in Canada that does the Maldives (at least I can't find any)..I used Crown Tours out of the Maldives...
http://www.crowntoursmaldives.com/
and booked the Veligandu Island Resort.
http://www.veliganduisland.com/
You can either take full board or pay extra for All Inclusive..Because we are not staying long, we decided that full board would be good enough..They have Water Bungalows...They are alot more expensive though..We may upgrade after we finish paying for the rest of the trip..

We are flying with Emirates..From Edmonton/London/Dubai/Cochin, India..then we will be in India for a few weeks..then Maldives/Dubai/London home!! It will be a long one, but the trip will be broken up on the way home staying in Dubai for 4 nights..Airfare cost about $1700.00 CAD plus taxes..Emirates has flights from Dubai to the Maldives everyday I believe..
You can also take Singapore Airlines,but their schedule didn't fit into our days off, plus we want to go to Dubai! Although Singapore makes a nice stopover as well..
As for weather..I believe it is rainy season from March until October (or similar)..If you go into Veligandu Island Resort website, they have a travel forum and people have been there several times know everything..
There are tons of hotels in the Maldives..just depends how much you want to spend.If we weren't doing India and Dubai, I would have went for something a little more upper scale, but Veligandu looks great!! The Hilton looks fabulous by the way, especially for a honeymoon..Keep in mind that you have to pay extra to get to each island..Veligandu is accessable by seaplane only..$155.00 U.S. each..Some island are by boat and are cheaper..Some are further away and more expensive..
Well, all in all, I never thought in a million years that I would be going to the Maldives..but after being in India last year, the world just became alot smaller! Happy Planning and good luck to your friend..

nks267 May 12th, 2005 02:50 AM

We travelled from Toronto to Maldives for our honeymoon and did it on our own. We went via India - we went online and googled Maldives and came up with a bunch of options. The Venilgadu looks awesome but after factoring in the seaplane charge, the Four seasons was actually cheaper ( this was ofcourse before the tsunami - the four seasons hotel has been closed for renos since).I would recommend googling maldives for hotel deals...for flights we went to Toronto - delhi-trivandrum-male

TracyB May 12th, 2005 08:48 AM

nks..I basically did the same thing..Did a search on Google and for several months have been emailing hotels..Some don't have reservations direct, so you have to use a Tour Company..Even after adding the seaplane charge to Veligandu, I still have not found an accomodation cheaper that we like after factoring in that it includes 3 meals per day..Anyhow, I am sure the Four Seasons would have been lovely! There are so many islands it is hard to decide which one!