Search

Floating Markets in Bangkok, Vietnam, or Laos

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floating Markets in Bangkok, Vietnam, or Laos

Hi.
I'm eager to see an authentic floating market. It sounds like the ones in Bangkok are quite touristy. I am also visiting Hanoi and going to Laos for almost 2 weeks. Are there any floating markets in these areas that would be recommended to check out? In Laos, I haven't properly sorted out my itinerary but would like to do something related to the Mekong River.....

Thanks!
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 10:42 AM

No floating markets I know if in or near Hanoi. ANd I don't know of floating markets in Laos, though there may be some. Other than Inle Lake in Burma, I don't know of any floating markets that are not purely for the tourist.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 05:21 PM

If you're in Bangkok on a weekend, you might try the market at Ban Nampeung. The market is in a large 'green' area often called Bangkok's lung. I was there last Sunday as part of a bike tour, and the half-dozen of us were the only foreigners there. This is definitely an authentic market crowded with locals.

That said, you might be disappointed by the real thing. Nobody is in traditional costume, and there is very little in the way of local handicrafts that you might want to take home. What there is, and what makes the place so popular among Thais, is A LOT of food stalls. It's a very nice market, set next to a temple along a large canal, with the stalls scattered amongst the islets the area is famous for.

You can get there by taxi. Just make sure they know how to get there.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 05:01 AM

The best floating and authenic floating market I have been to in Vietnam is out of Can Tho. I realize you do not mention going to Saigon,but this one is about 2 hours South of Saigon. Quite an experience on that Mekong River-not just the market but life along the river as you do not see in the city.
I've been to Laos an d Hanoi,but did not see any floating markets in these places.