Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Flight to Phuket to Make Ferry to Phi Phi (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/flight-to-phuket-to-make-ferry-to-phi-phi-638204/)

rsidhu Aug 10th, 2006 10:45 AM

Flight to Phuket to Make Ferry to Phi Phi

Okay now I'm in full planning mode for my trip to Thailand this November. I booked our flight from JFK to BKK in May and am finally getting around to booking the inter Thailand flights and the hotels. Oh the options.....

Just to let you know, I'm a project manager and I run everything like it's a project. My poor husband wants to kill me!!!! Only warning you that I'll have a ton of questions so will need your patience (thanks for all the advice thus far).

Okay first question - if my flight on Thai Air arrives in Phuket at 1:10pm, will I make the last ferry at 2:30pm from Phuket to Phi Phi?

TexasSlim Aug 10th, 2006 04:32 PM

A bit tight I think, with lots of luck you could make it but if the plane is a bit late for any reason...plus you have to clear immigration/customs, then find a taxi. If it was me I'd give it a shot but be prepared for missing the last ferry and staying one night on Phuket. An alternative is to charter, if you have the spare dosh.

JamesA Aug 11th, 2006 01:31 AM

Honestly I very much doubt it can be done !

Ok let's get this right, are you arriving in Phuket on a transfer from an international arrival or are you simply flying domestic from BKK to Phuket, if you are just flying BKK to Phuket then simply get an earlier flight. Remember arrival is 'landing' and although the flights if on Thai are reliable, you have to collect your baggage, go to the taxi counter, get the taxi and hope traffic is not busy, but that makes it real tight and aprt from everything else you could loose what you have paid for accommodation for that night.
You only clear customs and immigration at Phuket if you are on an 'international transfer' at BKK in which case you would certainly 'not' make that boat, no chance!! And even if on a domestic it realy is just too too tight.

rsidhu Aug 11th, 2006 11:10 AM

Okay so I've decided to book the flight from BKK to Phuket (domestic flight), spend one night in Phuket, leave my larger luggage at the Phuket hotel, and take the ferry to Phi Phi the next day. This way I won't stress out about time as our flight could be delayed. Thanks for the advice.

JamesA Aug 11th, 2006 11:16 AM

rsidhu, can't you get an earlier flight that morning ? First out with thai I 'think' is 0700, arriving 0820, even 0800 ariving 0920 would be plenty time.
However the plan to leave heavy baggage Phuket a good one. Don't make the error of booking a plave in Phuket 'town', although nearer to the ferry boats the choice is limited and aprt from sleeping not much to do, somewhere towards Chalong/Rawai would be near otherwsie I would stay Kata area as you can get thru from the south quite easily to where the boats go from.