Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Flight booked to BKK then Singapore then?????

Old Apr 29th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Snagged a confirmed biz upgrade to bkk from LHR (yippee) and plan to connect straight to Singapore to visit my best pal who lives there. 4 th trip to SP but K and I are thinking of a long weekend somewhere ( will be in August) am thinking of maybe Borneo, Lombok or Borobudor (sadly not the Aman hotel a la Hanumam) any suggestions on any of the 3??? If Borneo would like a nice rainforest lodge but not TOO rustic but would love something Eco to see the orag u tans??? Suggestions please? Will have 2 days solo in BKK so hopefully get to see our man on the ground Hanumam when in BKK.

Appreciate all suggestions.
X
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 10:54 AM

a return to penang??

bon ton again?
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

No too soon, need somewhere new. Although k has been everywhere.......
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 11:00 AM

A long weekend trip to Borobudor would be lovely, even if you don't stsy at the Aman. There is lots to see and do in central Java.

Lombok would be a beach weekend. Nice if you want relaxtion rather than exploration. We loved Qunci Villas, and everyone who we recommended them to has liked them as well (Bob & Karen, Filmwill & David).

Of course, Borneo is an unforgettable trip. I recommend the Borneo Rainforest Lodge. It will give you the best opportunity to see orangutans in the wild. It was nice, though rustic when we were there, recent reports indicate that the remodeling has upgraded it.
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 05:02 PM

Ubud, Bali will be nice in August.
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 05:53 PM

I always encourage visits to Central Java, but you should be aware that Ramadhan will begin at the end of July and continue till the Islamic holidays at the end of August. Ramadhan isn't the best time to travel in Java as a lot of the cultural activities are curtailed and everyone's hungry and generally not at their best.

Borobudur and Prambanan will be functioning as usual, but no music and dance performances during the fasting month.

Everyone seems to like Qunci Villas. Another new boutique resort on Lombok is The Lodge. http://www.thelomboklodge.com/
I haven’t been to either yet, so can’t compare. Lombok will also be observing Ramadhan but I don’t think it would make much difference in the quality of your visit.

In either case you don’t want to be traveling in Islamic Indonesia the last two weeks of August as transportation will be mobbed. It’s also a very popular time for Bali and rates will be at their highest.

A friend of mine recently did a long weekend in Kalimantan (Indonesian Borneo) on a live-aboard. They had a great time and evidently saw orangutans in the wild as well as at the rehabilitation center. If you’re interested I could get details.
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 06:35 PM

If you do decide upon Borobudur, I would urge you to actually stay in Yogya, as opposed to Borobudur proper...especially if you're not going to opt for Amanjiwo (not that I blame you--it's insanely expensive!)

We stayed at the Saraswati Borodudur -- and it was beyond dreadful (despite what TA reviews may say.) Think Swiss chalet in the middle of Asia. And I think it's probably the only other "decent" place in the area.

Personally, I'd opt for the Phoenix in Yogya which was awesome in every regard (and super affordable given what you get)...and day trip out to Yoyga for a early morning sunrise and possibly lunch at the Aman.

Good luck planning--I wish I was in your shoes...planning to head off again somewhere soon. Sigh. PVD (Post-Vacation Depression) sucks.
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 02:17 AM

http://www.ubudhotels.net/15/komanek...ey-forest.html

my fav for short stay simply awesome.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Do you enjoy hiking? In spite of intervening years the following three have all been memorable getaways from Singapore for me:

Mount Kinabalu on Sabah. Summit can be reached in two days, but if that is not your cup of chai you can just enjoy the lower elevations of the park. Several lodges in and near the park.

Summit hike of Mount Merapi. I did this back before recent activity, so it may no longer be an option. It is close to Borobodor which in itself is worth a few days. Did a number of enjoyable walks into the nearby hills as a break from touring the site. Visiting Prambanan from Yogya was also enjoyable.

Northern Thailand hill tribe trek, outside of Chaing Mai / Rai. One day in a boat, one on elephant back, one walking. Smoked some funny black goo with a Karen man on the first night, and finished off in a time-warped Akha village the second night. This was a time-warped place regardless of the black goo.

Have a great trip!
Old May 2nd, 2011, 08:28 PM

"Do you enjoy hiking?" - only if Jimmy Choo makes hiking boots.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 04:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
"Making its debut for Pre Fall 11 is the new HIKER with distinctive buckle detail. Now available to ORDER."

http://www.jimmychoo.com/hunter/icat/hunterus/

Old May 3rd, 2011, 05:04 AM

lol Hanuman. What about some place in China...Shanghi. Beach in Viet Nam.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 05:41 AM

LOL Hanuman and Nelson. Thanks for the laugh.

In addition to seeing orangutans in Sabah, you could go to Sarawak and stay in Kuching for a few days. It's a delightful small city and offers access to some lovely parks and to cultural experiences like the longhouses. It's a short hop from Singapore to either Sabah (Kota Kinabalu) or Sarawak (Kuching).
Old May 3rd, 2011, 05:46 AM

a long weekend at the peninsula, taking full advantage of the spa and some really good thai food!!
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Wow guys I go away for a few days and get a ton of advice. Thank you so much. LOL to Hanuman re the Jimmy Choos.
OK so Ramadan has made me rethink my plans a little but am still looking towards the Borneo thing??? I think we will only have 4 days though as K is working for a fair bit of the time I am in Singapore. SO I had though about a longhouse stay is this do-able with seeing Orangutans?

Although Nelson your Northern Thailand trip sounds cool too. ( they all sound great though) SO I will discount Java for now just because I want to go when I can see all the cultural aspects include the singing and dancing etc. Maybe Lombok will be too busy mid august??? I am kind of trying NOT to just go to a spa and Laze with K and am keen to do or see something other than the bottom of a wine glass....... I will send K your suggestions. Although I do really fancy Kyoto but K went last year.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:59 AM

If you go to Borneo, you will have to choose one: either Sabah or Sarawak. You can have the orangutans in the wild experience in Sabah or the longhouse in Sarawak. It is posssible to see orangutans in captivity in Sarawak, but I'd recommend that if you really want to see orangutans, do see them in the wild.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie.
Old May 8th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Original Poster

Ok so i checked out the Borneo RF Lodge but its $1500 for 3 nights and K wants to keep the budget a bit more mid range!! any other suggestions re Borneo places to stay? (along the lines of the B RFL but without the $500 a night price tag!) Lombok could work for us but the flights are conspiring against us as the direct flight schedule with Silk Air from SIN doesn't work for us so we would have to go via Bali but not out of the question (unless anyone knows of another direct carrier from Sin to Lombok??)
Old May 8th, 2011, 03:37 AM

I ultimately decided not to include this in my itinerary, but it might work for you. Great reviews on TA:

http://www.thelastfrontierresort.com/package_rates.html
Old May 8th, 2011, 08:04 AM

You could stay at Sukau Rainforest Lodge on the Kinabatangan. There are many others and they all offer a similar package of cruises along the river morning and afternoon, but the lodges differ in amenities. SI Tours also has a place that people seem to like. What I liked about SRL is that instead of taking you from Sandakan to the Lodge by car, they go by boat for 2 or so hours. On our way in, we saw a herd of 15 Pygmy elephants, a huge crocodile and monkeys, so it was a great way to start out rather than looking at a road.