Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Flight Bangkok to Da Nang (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/flight-bangkok-to-da-nang-1661063/)

warrsher Dec 4th, 2018 01:20 PM

Flight Bangkok to Da Nang

I already have our Visa Letter to go from Thailand to Vietnam on Jan, 27/2019 so am looking at flights. We will be in Chaing Mai but it looks to me like we have to fly out of Bangkok to Da Nang. I will probably book DaNang back to Bangkok also because our visa letter is for 30 days in Vietnam so runs out Feb.26.
I am getting $185.00 Canadian per person for the 2 flights .Which is approx. $140,0 USD
This was on Kiwi so just wondering if this looks good to you folks. I know when I fly into either country they like to see your exit plans.
Warrsher

LancasterLad Dec 4th, 2018 11:18 PM

Never a bad thing to have proof of onward travel handy to show Immigration.

You don't intend flying from Da Nang to Bangkok, and then catch your exit flight home, on the same day do you? If you are, then it's NOT a good idea. Stay you final overnight in Bangkok.

warrsher Dec 5th, 2018 05:56 AM

No we leave Vietnam on Feb 26 because 30 day Visa will be done but fly out of Bangkok Mar 3rd. Have not planned that last few days yet.
I would rather leave the return to Thailand open but I expect Vietnam will want my exit plan.How do people do that as I am sure some don't have an exact exit plan.
It might even be nice to leave earlier and travel by boat and land through Cambodia back to Thailand.
Warrsher

crellston Dec 5th, 2018 06:31 AM

I have flown into Vietnam and entered overland many times over the years and I don’t think Vietnamese immigration have ever asked for proof of onward travel. On an evisa application you have to state your point of departure, but that doesn’t actually show on the actual visa. With an evisa the entry process is very quick and very simple.

Where ongoing travel details are sometimes asked for is by the airline staff at your departure airport for Vietnam. Air Asia in particular are a real pain on this point. They will want to check your visa too before allowing boarding, so makes sure you have a copy to hand. I have usually just shown my homebound ticket from wherever and this is usually sufficient (although you may have to be a tad insistent!). You international ticket back to Canada should be sufficient.

The other option, used by some is to buy the cheapest ticket you can find to anywhere out of the country and show that. You don’t have to use it. Alternatively, buy a fully flexible ticket but that is usually pretty expensive.

Having said all of that, the chances of being challenged by immigration or airlines is far higher for a grungy backpacker that looks as those can’t support themselves than for a smartly dressed, middle aged traveller.

warrsher Dec 5th, 2018 12:41 PM

Thanks again and yes I carry paper copies of Flights,Visa's,hotel bookings etc. On me and we are a 71 years of age couple clean and tidy so should be ok.
Thanks
warrsher