Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Flight advice -- transiting at Changi and/or extra day in Java (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/flight-advice-transiting-at-changi-and-or-extra-day-in-java-910750/)

jenskar2 Oct 30th, 2011 03:02 PM

Flight advice -- transiting at Changi and/or extra day in Java

Singapore Air will mix/match a trip to Solo with Silk Air only 3 days a week -- so am trying to get a few ideas as options and what they entail. I'm backing into a reservation in Bali with a start date I can't adjust -- it basically gives me an extra day/night in Java.

Option 1 -- Use Singapore Air to fly to in via Solo (Silk Air), 3 nights at Amanjiwo, 1 night Yogya -- then fly to Denpasar - I know Amanjiwo is close enough to Yogya I don't need to do it this way -- but more than 3 nights at the Aman is really getting expensive -- plus it sounds like there might be things to do in Yogya for a day? Question, where to stay?

Option 2 -- Use Singapore Air to fly to Asia -- change at Changi for an airline that flies to Yogya rather than Solo (gets rid of extra day/night issue) -- Question -- I've never had to claim baggage at Changi and change it to a connecting flight as I've always used Sing Air partners -- is this complicated/time consuming?

What would you do? Take the extra day/night in Java in Yogya? Or do the plane change/luggage thing at Changi?

Thanks !!

lcuy Oct 31st, 2011 10:22 AM

I am always amazed at how fast I get out of Changi including baggage claim, so that shouldn't be an issue.
But why will you need to claim luggage? Unless it is Air Asia, you should be able to check your luggage all the way through.

Kathie Oct 31st, 2011 12:05 PM

Changi is probably the most efficient airport in the world. As lcuy says, unless you are flying Air Asia or another budget airline, Singapore will transfer your luggage to your next flight. I'm guessing you might be flying Garuda into Yogya, and I know they will transfer luggage to Garuda.

jenskar2 Oct 31st, 2011 02:04 PM

Thanks lcuy and Kathie -- you guessed right -- I'm looking at Garuda for the Yogya flight -- good to know I can check through. I did see Air Asia -- but figured that might be a bit more of a challenge. Changi is amazing. What other airport terminal holds impromptu rock concerts, dance performances ... it always has knocked me out. Love the butterfly garden.

marmot Oct 31st, 2011 03:51 PM

I'm not particularly fond of Yogya, but there's quite a lot to do and see there. I'd do Yogya before the Aman, though, saving the best for last. The Phoenix hotel in Yogya gets good reports, but I haven't been there myself.

Does Garuda fly non-stop from Singapore or do you have to stop in Jakarta?

lcuy Oct 31st, 2011 03:54 PM

I love changi Airport, but for some reason I never get stuck there for long layovers. I usually have very early flights or very fast layovers. Unlike LAX, I like to spend time there!

I've seen concerts (a great Michael Jackson impersonator shortly after his death) and dance, but never heard about a butterfly garden! Where is it?

KMLoke Oct 31st, 2011 03:58 PM

http://www.changiairport.com/at-chan...s/nature-trail

BUTTERFLY GARDEN

Terminal 3
Departure Transit Lounge, Level 2

The world's first Butterfly Garden in an airport is designed as a tropical butterfly habitat with a profusion of flowering plants, lush greenery and a 6 metre grotto-waterfall. You will see different tropical butterflies species during the different seasons of the year. Visit the educational corners within the garden to gain a deeper understanding of butterflies. Individual enclosures let you witness the breeding and feeding of butterflies at close range. You'll be amazed by the transformation of butterflies from pupae, preparing to take their first flight in the Emergence Enclosure! The garden is also home to a collection of 200 carnivorous or insectivorous plants from about 30 species of Nepenthes - tropical pitcher plants from Southeast Asia, especially Singapore. These plants have adapted to growing in nutrient-poor soils by evolving ways of trapping and ‘feeding' on insects and small animals to obtain nutrients.

jenskar2 Oct 31st, 2011 07:26 PM

lcuy you would love it -- they are literally flying around you -- it's in the new terminal (new back in 2008ish) and together with jet lag -- is quite surreal.

kuluk Oct 31st, 2011 11:58 PM

Solo is a fairly easy drive by taxi (about 1.5 to 2 hours) to Yogja, so don't let the difference between these two cities be a breaking point. And the scenery is very nice, you will drive right past Prambanan on the way, so can do your tour of that temple at the same time. Amanjiwo is a highly rated hotel, but it's mainly used as a base to tour Borobudur, so a night there should be sufficient...maybe just use it as your last night in Java. If you stay at Amanjiwo in the beginning and then transfer to Jogja proper it will be quite a letdown!

By the way, if you do spend any time in Solo, and are interested in batik fabrics, the Danar Hadi Batik Museum has an astounding collection of old wonderful batik tulis cloths. It's located behind the Danar Hadi store, right across the street from the Novotel Hotel Solo.

Changi is really an incredibly efficient airport, but an extra night in Java is really worth it!

jenskar2 Nov 2nd, 2011 07:48 PM

marmot -- we ended up flipping the trip around -- Borobudur and the Aman last. So we're flying from Denpasar to Yogya -- that is as soon as I find a local travel agent to book it for me. Can't seem to get Garuda-Indonesia to accept a US credit card for the flight I want. Is there anyone reliable you would recommend? did you by any chance hang onto my email address -- at comcast it is the same? I cannot find yours :( Would love to find time to meet in Bali if the dates work out for you!

kuluk -- thank you. we will have 2 full days in Java (3 nights) -- had not really spent much time researching the area previously and am really looking forward to it to more I read. And as you can see, I decided not ending at the Aman would be a mistake.

lcuy Nov 2nd, 2011 09:10 PM

Thanks for the info on the butterfly garden. I'll try to allow time to visit it next time!

kuluk Nov 2nd, 2011 09:38 PM

jenskar: You are welcome! A good travel agent in Indonesia that I use a lot is Bayu Buana. They have branches in all major cities in Indonesia, including a branch office on the Bypass road in Bali. www.bayubuanatravel.com

Incidentally, you should check out Air Asia as well. They have good flights between cities and fair credit card booking facilities. You could fly Silk Air to Solo, drive to Jogja and then Jogja to Bali. Then Bali to Singapore.

marmot Nov 3rd, 2011 03:21 PM

Jen, I usually use Smailings, similar set up to Bayu Buana. Success rate depends on the individual agent.

I believe I still have your email address, but I don't have access to my records until sometime next week as I'm in the process of moving to Bali.

Hope we can arrange a get together. Kuluk, too, and anyone else who may be passing through.

I like the Four Seasons, but not Jimabaran itself. You might consider spending a night or two in Seminyak, especially since you're interested in what's going on in food/restaurants. Jimbaran to Seminyak is a good 45 minutes, often longer.

jenskar2 Nov 3rd, 2011 08:12 PM

Thank you both -- marmot -- great idea re: a small Bali get together. Here's to a smooth move for you.

I agree re: a few nights in Seminyak, and did think about it, but our relationship with the 4S is hard to beat. I was almost hoping they wouldn't have the earlier date I added, so that we'd have to stay somewhere else for a night or two.

Our Bali dates are third week of January -- so we should figure out who will be on the island and what's central. I am really so thrilled to be coming back. Up until a month ago, we were thinking we'd try Morocco this year instead of Asia ... so it's been a bit of a whirlwind to plan so far.

kuluk Nov 3rd, 2011 08:47 PM

Jens and Marmot: Unfortunately I will be off-island in January and won't be back until mid-February. But since Marmot is moving to Bali (Ubud? or somewhere else?) We could meet sometime after that. I am mostly in Bali all year unless I am travelling.