Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

First visit to Bangkok-Arrival New Years Day

Nov 13th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

We arrive at noon into Bangkok on Jan 1st. With the remaining time during that day is there must sees and dos? What is the New Years like in Bangkok?

I also am having an itinerary issue. I very much want to go to the Chatuchak Market, but our time in Bangkok doesn't easily overlap. In order to make it work we would have to shorten our time on the south island from 7 days to 5.5. In the south we were planning on staying 2 nights in Phuket at Baan Krating Jungle Beach (w/ a dinner at Mom's tri), 2 nights and days in Khao Sok, 3 nights at the Paradise Khao Yao.

So to see the market we would have to shorten a night in phuket and a day in Khao Sok. Is it worth it or not? I trust you all's opinion.

I should probably also ask you to look over my itinerary also. We have 3 weeks in Thailand and were originally planning 2.5 days in Siam Reap, but it just seemed to rush us. So I think we will have to do that another time (proably not for another 5 years), unless you all think it is a must and we shouldn't wait.

Sorry this is so long winded. Cheers.
Nov 13th, 2005, 09:51 AM

what is your complete itinerary?
Nov 13th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Chatuchak is not one of my favorite things to do in BKK. I much prefer the night market at SuanLum. The night market is nicely organized, and there is food and entertainment right there. Plus, temps are a bit cooler at night. SuanLum is open nightly.

Don't cut your beach time in order to go to Chatuchak IMO!!
Carol
Nov 13th, 2005, 10:39 AM

Chatachuk is not worth cutting short your beach time. Having said that, Angkor Wat (Siem Riep)is definitely worth cutting short your beach time or squeezing in somehow. The building is going wild in SR. In 5 years it is likely to be much more crowded. We're going now.
Nov 13th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Ok this will be a huge post, b/c it has 2 different itineraries... my apologies.. Please look and help me. I hope I can return this favor to you sometime. WE live in Montana and can give lots of advice on that..

This was our original itinerary but we realized doing Angkor Wat was probably going to cut things tight for us.

First Itinerary:

January 1: Arrive BKK 12:45pm
-(still trying to find accommodation, want Marriott Riverside, but 224 for deluxe and 240 a night for riverview now)
-Rest and wander
January 2: Fly to Siam Reap early AM
-AW and other sites with Pon Hearyís Brother
-Boph Angkor
January 3: AW with Pon Hearyís Brother
-Boph Angkor
January 4: Bum around for AM
Fly to Chaing Mai via Bangkok in afternoon
-Galare House
January 5: Drive to Mae Hong Son (stopping on the way) hire driver?
-Fern Resort
January 6: Explore area
-Fern Resort
January 7: Drive to Mae Salong
-Mae Salong Villa
January 8: Explore area
-Mae Salong Villa
January 9: Drive back to Chiang Mai
-Baan Orapin
January 10-11: Chiang Mai, visit factories, shop (galleries) cooking class at Chiang Mai Thai Cookery , Doi SuthepJa
-Baan Orapin on 10th
-pm flight to Bangkok on 11th (stay at Old Bangkok Inn)
January 12th: Bangkok with one of Rattís guides she is booked
-Old Bangkok Inn
January 13th: Bangkok on our own
-Old Bangkok Inn
Things to do in Bangkok some with guide some and some on own (what is best with guide):Golden Buddha, Jim Thompsonís house, Royal Bardges National Museum, Erawan Shrine, Flower Market, Wat Pho, Grand Palace (Emerald Buddha), Pan Arthirt road, Golden Mount, Lumpini Park (Bazar)
January 14th: Weekend Market and fly to Phuket
-Baan Krating Jungle Beach (Dinner at Mom Triís)
January 15th: Around Phuket
To Khao Sok
January 16th: Khao Sok kayak
January 17th: To Koh Yao Noi
-The Paradise
January 17th-19th: The Paradise Koh Yao Noi
-leave on the eve of 19th from Krabi or Phuket whatever is closer to Bangkok
-Stay at Marriott
January 20th: Go to Damnoen Saduak Floating Market, hang out at hotel, shop and show and dinner Fly out 1:50 AM!
Ok here is our itinerary w/out Siam Reap. We canít rearrange Chang Mai/N. Thailand b/c bookings were trickey. Jan 1st-4th is hard to get ideal hotels for what we want to spend $120 or less. Any ideas? The Marriott you can only book Jan 1st through them now, they took the ability to book on Huahin and other sites off. Also this means no weekend market. Do we want the 2 extra days split b/t Phuket, Khao Sok or Koh Yao Noi. My inclination in Phuket and Koh Yao, but I donít know what to expect with Khao Sok NP.
January 1: Arrive BKK 12:45pm
-(still trying to find accommodation, want Marriott Riverside, but 224 for deluxe and 240 a night for riverview now)
-Rest and wander
-no reservations thru to 4th yet
January 2: Bangkok
January 3: Bangkok
January 4: Bangkok in am
Fly to Chaing Mai via Bangkok in afternoon
-Galare House
January 5: Drive to Mae Hong Son (stopping on the way) hire driver?
-Fern Resort
January 6: Explore area
-Fern Resort
January 7: Drive to Mae Salong
-Mae Salong Villa
January 8: Explore area
-Mae Salong Villa
January 9: Drive back to Chiang Mai
-Baan Orapin
January 10-11: Chiang Mai, visit factories, shop (galleries) cooking class at Chiang Mai Thai Cookery , Doi SuthepJa
-Baan Orapin on 10th
January 12th: Fly to Phuket
- Baan Krating Jungle Beach (Dinner at Mom Triís)
- Hang out
January 13th: Phuket
-check out Aman resort, Chedi and Banyan,
- visit Beaches
Or
-leisurely drive to Khao Sok
January 14th: Drive to Khao sok
Or
-full day Khao sok and spend night (is one full day in park sufficient and not crazy?)
January 15th: Khao Sok kayak spend night in park
Or go to Paradise earlier so have an extra day
January 16th: To Koh Yao Noi
-The Paradise
January 16th-19th: The Paradise Koh Yao Noi
-leave on the eve of 19th from Krabi or Phuket whatever is closer to Bangkok
-Stay at Marriott
January 20th: Go to Damnoen Saduak Floating Market, hang out at hotel, shop and show and dinner Fly out 1:50 AM!

Nov 13th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

I can email you a word calendar verions or the typed version which is easer also.

One other quesiton. I have been in contact with Ratt, but she is unavailable, has anyone used any of her other guides? She has different levels of guides.
Here is what she quoted..What do I do?
Or is there another guide I should contact?

>The English license guide with his car rate 3,000 Baht / 10 hours. Half
>day 2,000 Baht. For 4 people. Over time 300 Baht. Out off city charges
>more for gasoline.
>
>The Excellent English guide with his car rate 3,500 Baht / 10 hours.
>Half day 2,000 Baht. For 4 people. Over time 300 Baht. Out off city
>charges more for gasoline

Nov 13th, 2005, 11:14 AM

I think your intinerary sounds great because you will actually see something other than the top 5 sights of thailand. So I agree that you should save Siem reap for another trip. My one problem with your itinerary is that I don't think you are spending nearly enough time in Bangkok. I would reduce your time in the south by a day or two and add it to bangkok at the end of your trip.

BTW-- we will both be at baan orapin on Jan. 9th.

I think it's great that you will really be exploring northern thailand -- it's my favorite part of thailand.
Nov 13th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Gloria. It was your notes on N.Thailand that encouraged me. I will see how I can rearrange the south. The hardest thing is that we both have had a very crazy fall, so we NEED some R and R. Also I don't want to feel like I just got to the Paradise and then turn around and leave. Transfers to the island are pricey and I want to make it worth it. As far at the national park, we are outdoors advocates and so we would love to hike and kayak in the jungle and see a mix of flora and fauna. Who knew 3 weeks would seem so short. Gloria, we owe you a drink when we overlap in CM.

Carol and Gpanda, thank you as well.

Any advice on New Years in BKK and hiring one of Ratt's guides (which one expert English or regular English????)
Nov 13th, 2005, 11:43 AM

I'm not a beach person so can't help you there. As for Ratt -- have only had her but do you want a guide or driver? In any event the price difference is so small I would go with the person with the best english -- it will make life a lot easier and will be well worth the little extra.

Doi Mae Salong -- accomodations hre are very basis. Gets very few American tourists -- mostly Germans, Chinese and asians so be prepared to rough it a bit unless things have changed. But it's very different from other places you're going and much less touristy. make sure you go to the market.
Nov 13th, 2005, 01:46 PM

skip the weekend market. It's a nightmare -- and I LOVE markets.
Nov 13th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Gloria do you know how hard it is to get from Ibrik River hotel across to the other side, where most of the sites are? If so do you know approx how much it would cost?
Nov 13th, 2005, 03:28 PM

I actually don't know where Ibrik is-- didn't realise it was on the "other" side of the river. Personally I like staying on the "right" side of the river for the convenience. Since it's so small I doubt if it has a ferry. And with your limited time I would strongly advise staying in a convenient location.
Nov 13th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Found this information on an article about Ibrik.
Downside: You have to take a public ferry to the Tha Wat Rakhang Pier, which is about 100 yards from the hotel.

Nov 13th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Gloria you are the best. Thanks.
Nov 13th, 2005, 04:15 PM

I am chipping with a different perspective on Chatuchak. I have been there about 10 times, generally on a Friday when about 60% of the shops are open. I like the shopping there and also feel it is a comp different experience from any you may have experienced. However, I would NEVER go there on a Sunday as I feel it is bedlam and have avoided Saturdays as well. ON Fridat shops open around 10:30-11 so it is a civilized time - I would typically spend a few hours and be out around 3.

Re guide. Jim T house is easily accessible by sky train and you have to take their guided tour so no car driver required. Suan Lum Night Bazaar (I think this is what you mean by Lumpini Park Bazaar) is also on the new MRT line so go by train. Erawan shrine is just off the Chitlom BTS line so go by sky train. Use a driver for your Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Wat Arun day.
Nov 13th, 2005, 04:23 PM

have you looked at centre point silom ...??all hotels in thailand are very expensive over new years...

easy to get across the river from ibrik but getting to skytrain is much more difficult and time consumming...after 6 PM the boats do not run either...taxi is the best, but can run up the fare...bus is slow but cheap...

i hope the anti-ecological mindset of thailand will not ruin your vacation...

the weekend market is not worht your time with such a tight schedule...the night market will work just as well for you...what is it that you needed to buy at weekend market...i am sure it is just as available in bkk proper...all you will miss is lots of sweat and tons of people and dirt and fleas...
Nov 13th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

I will not worry about the weekend market. I don't have anything in mind to buy, not a huge shopper, just wanted to see the chaos.

As far as being turned-off: 1) my parents were just there and warned us, they were totally overwhelmed by Bkk, but still cherished the experience 2) We are moving to NYC next fall so I can go to grad school at Pratt, so I better get used to it (although I know it isn't really the same

Thanks again.I think I am starting to get a bit pitiful with the amount of time I am on the computer planning, learning and dreaming about Thailand.
Nov 13th, 2005, 04:58 PM

coripep-- on my trip last year I introduced my oldest friend to Thailand. She's a Pratt graduate and the colors and shapes and design of thailand enthralled her.