Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   First trip to Thailand in October! Help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/first-trip-to-thailand-in-october-help-729666/)

Scottstig Aug 17th, 2007 08:11 AM

First trip to Thailand in October! Help!

My wife and I are planning a trip to Bangkok and a beach destination. We want to spend 4 nights in Bangkok staying at the Penninsula Bangkok and then travel to ? What recommendations for beach destinations? as far as, best weather, easy travel (Plane) in and out of Bangkok. We will spend 4-5 nights at beach destination. Please give whatever advice you can. We are thinking Phuket and staying at 4 or 5 star good and relaxing location. Thank you

Gpanda Aug 17th, 2007 08:27 AM

S-October is a difficult month for choosing a beach. The rainy season switches from the Andaman Sea over to the Gulf during that month. Take a look at weatherbase.com to see monthly rainfall. This is why the hotels have low season rates in Phuket until October 31. However, many have enjoyed the beach anyway. Have you given any cosideration to Northern Thailand instead of the beach? There have been many posts recording that the Anantara outside Chiang Rai is very relaxing.

Kathie Aug 17th, 2007 08:31 AM

October is a difficult month for beach areas in Thailand. All are rainy in October. Take a look at www.weatherbase.com

Phuket averages 12 inches of rain in October (use this number for Krabi, Koh lanta, etc)

Koh Samui (look at Surat Thani) averages 10.2 inches of rain in October

and even Hua Hin averages 10.5 inches of rain in October.

So, if you don't mind the rain, I'd suggest you choose where to stay on the basis of convenience and the hotel. Note that flights to Koh Samui are expensive, as Bangkok Air is the only carrier. Phuket has dozens of flights per day, some on budget airlines if that interests you. Hua Hin is about a 2.5 hour drive from Bangkok.

rhkkmk Aug 17th, 2007 06:00 PM

the later you can go in october the better....i have never been earlier than oct 15....

rain does not usually mean all day rain, but it can happen....usually it is huge downpours for an hour or two....flooding can occur...

a trip to the north might be a better alternative....choose a place with a wonderful pool...the anantara north of chiang rai is one such place...

you will love the penn!!

i have a bangkok restaurant listing if you want it: [email protected]

Kristina Aug 17th, 2007 06:29 PM

Just wondering, but how do we know Scott is traveling in October? I don't see that in his post...

What month will you be there? You've received some good advice here already.
Bangkok and Phuket are an easy pair and Kathie is correct that Phuket is better served by multiple airlines.

And yes, the Pen is fantastic!!

simpsonc510 Aug 17th, 2007 06:50 PM

Kristina
It's in his title.

Scott
I think you would enjoy Phuket. It is as relaxing as you want to make it; but it is also an active destination if you want to be kept busy. The rain should not be that disruptive.

For starters, look at the KataThani Resort on Kata Noi beach, or maybe the Meridien which has its own private beach.KataThani is on a quieter stretch of beach with several lovely pools and restaurants on the resort grounds. You don't have to leave if you don't want to. I would suggest a junior suite, since you are not going during peak season. You should get a good price.

If you don't have to be right ON the beach I would highly recomment Mom Tri's Villa Royale property. It is a short walk to Kata Noi Beach, just down a wooden stairway. Villa Royale is smaller, with more personal service. Mom Tri's Kitchen is a fantastic restaurant there (if you stay at KataThani, you can walk up the wooden stairs and dine at the Kitchen).

There are many choices for accomodations on Phuket. Just ask, as many people who post here have stayed in a lot of places and will give you their impressions.

Carol

Kristina Aug 17th, 2007 08:27 PM

Doh! ((shamefaced))
I must have re-read the post 10 times, but not the title. Oh well...

trackback Aug 22nd, 2007 12:00 AM

Yes, October is still a rainy season in Thailand. It is difficult to avoid the rain at this time; however, as rhkkmk said "it is just a huge downpours last for 1 or 2 hours." My husband and I went to Koh Samui and stayed at Muang Samui Spa Resort - Junior Suite with poolview during October 15-19, 2006. It was great in term of room facilities, hotel facilites, staffs, and its location. The airline was not our issue at that time. We took taxi from the airport to the hotel which took us about 10 minutes ride to get to the hotel. The hotel's location is set in the most famous beach in the island. There were so many restaurants and shops nearby. I felt safe staying in area. It was one of our memorable and favorite trip. This is the hotel info: http://silkzpider.com/hotel_details....mp;id_exchang=
Hope you come to the conclusion soon : )

Scottstig Aug 24th, 2007 01:19 PM

Much appreciation to all the responces to my post! We have just booked our tickets to Thailand through Thai Air. We booked Premium Economy seats. I hope the exta $$$ is worth it for such a long flight. If you have flown this class please let me know your experience? We will be in Bangkok Oct. 19th -24th staying at the Peninsula Hotel. This Hotel appears to be very wonderful. Especially for the price! We still haven't booked Phuket It's a toss up between JW Marriot, Bayan Tree and a couple of others. We don't have childen and honestly don't want to be around a bunch of kids at a resort pool, enough said. "Per Tripadvisor recommendations" JW Marriot caters to families. Don't get me wrong I love kids, but while trying to relax I prefer a quiet and adult driven service hotel. So can anyone point me in the right direction. We want a hotel that has great food, though one that we can also leave to flavor other establishments. From what I get from JW Marriot is that you are away from everything and feel secluded. I like to have options. Once again, appreciate any and all recommendations incluing favorite restaurants. My wife and I love Seafood and spicy Thai food.
Thanks again.

rhkkmk Aug 24th, 2007 06:44 PM

the north pool at the jw marriott rarely has any kids....they tend to go to one of the main pools...its very quiet at the main pool....but the hotel is very far north on the island and can put some people off....its not easy to leave say for just a dinner in town---45 minute ride...there is a shuttle...

you will love the penn...it is a fantastic hotel...you will be spoiled...try the dim sum some lunch in the oriental rest. in the lower level...have your hair cut there...there is a new spa...eat in the outside thai rest....
have lunch across the river at lord jim's---fabulous buffet weekdays/expensive, about $27-30....

Scottstig Aug 25th, 2007 07:25 AM

Thank You for the info on JW any other choices anyone can recommend in Phuket that compares to the JW marriot!

gard Aug 25th, 2007 08:08 AM

Hi

My wife and I have been to Thailand a couple of times in the wet season. I have posted a trip report from our trip in 2002 on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/thailand2002.htm . Back then we went to Bangkok, Krabi and Hua Hin :-)

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures

Gpanda Aug 25th, 2007 08:19 AM

There are many good hotels in Phuket. The key question is "how close do you want to be to nightlife?" We really enjoyed the Meridien Beach Resort in Relax Bay. That's a made up place name, it's really at the very far north of Karon Beach. There's a small hill between it and Karon and a larger one between it and Patong.

If you want to be more in the middle of things, take a look at the Katathani and Mom Tri's Boathouse. Both are in Kata Beach.