Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   First trip to Japan in June (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/first-trip-to-japan-in-june-1664072/)

Claudina Feb 24th, 2019 02:25 PM

First trip to Japan in June

my husband and I will be heading to japan at the end of June. We will be spending 5 nights in Tokyo, 4 nights in Kyoto, 1 night in Hiroshima and 1night at a ryokan in Miyashima. We might do day trips to Nikko and Nara. Does it sound like a good allocation of our time? Also we are thinking about buying a one week jr pass. We will be using to go from Tokyo to Kyoto, Kyoto to Hiroshima and back to Tokyo. Is it worth it?
thanks,
claudina

tt7 Feb 24th, 2019 03:46 PM

Tokyo - Kyoto = ¥13,060
Kyoto - Hiroshima = ¥11,090
Hiroshima - Tokyo = ¥18,560
Total = ¥42,710
7 day JR Pass = ¥29,110
QED

Although I would always argue for more time in Kyoto (and less in Tokyo), that won't work for a 7 day JR Pass; you need the Pass to start on day 6 (after 5 nights in Tokyo) when you go to Kyoto and still be valid on day 12 when you travel back to Tokyo (presumably to fly home).

The only downside to a JR Pass is that you can't use the Nozomi Shinkansen, the fastest (because they make the fewest stops) and most frequent trains. However, that's usually not an issue. Most trains from Kyoto to Hiroshima require a change of train at Shin-Osaka; however, there are two Hikari Shinkansens at 7.20 am and 8.00 am that do not require a change, so best to use those if you can.

Get a Suica card as soon as you arrive to use in Tokyo and for the subway/buses/local trains/vending machines/convenience stores everywhere. It makes life much, much easier. If you have an iPhone 8/X/XS, you can add a virtual Suica card to Apple Wallet and then use Apple Pay to top it up. Regular Suica cards need to be topped up -- cash only -- at a ticket machine.

kja Feb 24th, 2019 04:15 PM

While it depends on your interests, I'd say that for most first visitors to Japan, your allocation of time makes sense. For my interests, I'd shift a night fromTokyo to Kyoto -- but that's just me.

If you haven't already done so, do spend lots of time with japan-guide.com.

Enjoy!

Guenmai Feb 25th, 2019 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Claudina (Post 16878554)
my husband and I will be heading to japan at the end of June. We will be spending 5 nights in Tokyo, 4 nights in Kyoto, 1 night in Hiroshima and 1night at a ryokan in Miyashima. We might do day trips to Nikko and Nara. Does it sound like a good allocation of our time? Also we are thinking about buying a one week jr pass. We will be using to go from Tokyo to Kyoto, Kyoto to Hiroshima and back to Tokyo. Is it worth it?
thanks,
claudina

I'd put 4 nights in Tokyo and 5 nights in Kyoto. Kyoto is spread out. Plus, from Kyoto one can zip to Osaka, if one chooses, as it's close by by train from Kyoto train station. I zipped there for a half day and it's only 560 yen, one way, on the train and half an hour. Also Kobe is nearby if you want to add another thing to do while in the Kyoto area. I do 9 nights in Kyoto and plan to zip to Kobe for a half day and then back to Kyoto on the summer 2019 trip. One of the workers at my hotel in Kyoto commutes from Kobe to Kyoto daily and suggested that I just go for a day trip. There's lots to do in the Kyoto region.

Happy Travels!

mrwunrfl Feb 26th, 2019 07:27 AM

After you get back to Tokyo what will you do next?

Claudina Feb 26th, 2019 08:35 AM

going home

kja Feb 26th, 2019 04:53 PM

In that case, let me ask: Have you already booked your flights? if not, explore your options for flying into Tokyo and out of Osaka or vice versa.

mrwunrfl Feb 26th, 2019 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Claudina (Post 16879364)
going home

If that means that you are flying home from Narita Airport then you can just fly from Hiroshima to Narita Airport. A one-way flight could cost US $98 on ANA or maybe less with another carrier.