filmwill's crazy Thanksgiving Plan B

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to hijack the other airport thread any longer, so figured I'd start a new one...

So, it's Thanksgiving and I should be cooking turkey with the family, but instead here I am, eyes wide like a maniac...possessed with an intent and fervor like never before...to map out our entire Plan B for our trip next Friday (in case things head for the worse in Thailand).

So I now present our official Plan B:

Day 1 LAX—Singapore
Day 3 Arrive Singapore
Day 4 Singapore
Day 5 Singapore / Fly to Bali (PM)
Day 6 Ubud
Day 7 Ubud
Day 8 Ubud
Day 9 Ubud
Day 10 Ubud / Fly to Singapore (late PM) / Overnight @ Changi Airport
Day 11 Fly to Phuket / Ko Racha
Day 12 Ko Racha
Day 13 Ko Racha
Day 14 Ko Racha
Day 15 Fly to Singapore (early PM)
Day 16 Singapore
Day 17 Fly to LAX

Thoughts? I spoke with United (who we booked our FF tix on Thai with--and they told me our chances were good if we decided we wanted to switch to Singapore Air to fly into Singapore instead--it's just up to us to make a decision now.)

For hotels, great rates at the Intercontinental in Singapore and Crowne Plaza (for our overnight at Changi) -- but still need hotel reccos for Ubud.

Damn, this could actually work.
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 02:23 PM

Looks great. Are those flights in Business class? If so, I would grab them. Also find out if you can change the return flight to include more time in Bali in case you can't get to Phuket.
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Sounds good . Now go eat your turkey. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 02:30 PM

As for the hotels, why not just give them a credit card number and not do the prepay thing again? If I were you, I wouldn't wait around to see what's going to happen in BK and you leave in a week. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM

I agree with Crosscheck. Hi Crosscheck. As far as your situation goes, I personally wouldn't bank on Thailand period. I'd reschedule the whole trip around it. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

slight snafu--travel insurance is now saying that they will only cover prepaid items (hotels most importantly for us) IF our flight is canceled--and Thai will not announce a cancellation at this rate probably until the day of our flight--leaving us no opportunity to take this plan B trip.

well, now i'm a bit stuck...
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 03:14 PM

That's terrible - It sounded like Plan B was meant to be...Did you pre-pay two entire weeks of hotels? I would fight with the insurance company.

But Guen is right (Hi Guen) - Enjoy your turkey and worry about this tomorrow.

Old Nov 27th, 2008, 03:15 PM

What a mess! This is one reason why I VERY seldom prepay. In 30+ years of travel, I've learned to try to be able to stay flexible.
When I went off to Singapore,Bali,Chiangmai, and Bangkok, the first time, and for 3 weeks of traveling around independenly, I prepaid nothing. I did, however, buy the type of plane ticket where I had flexibility in changing my flights while in S.E. Asia if I wanted to which I did several times while there, but I didn't get charged anything for the changes.

My plan is to call Thai Air tomorrow and try to cancel the ticket period. I'm just fed up with it ALL right now...remember all the Thai Air drama that many of us went through for months regarding our flights?

So, hopefully, they'll just cancel my flight, minus the $100. and then I can contact my serviced apartment building and cancel. Then I'll have to take the $100. loss. That's what I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 05:00 PM

Filmwill, like Guen says, for the Plan B trip, I wouldn't prepay for any hotels, just make a reservation directly with the hotel which usually just requires a credit card guarantee.

Also, if things are sufficiently bad in Thailand, you likely want a plan B that doesn't include any Thailand. I'd recommend adding Lombok (Qunci Villas) in place of your Thai beach.

Hopefully, you will be flying to Thailand, but things are sufficiently uncertain I think it's wise to have Plan B laid out.
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 05:11 PM

I've just noticed that you've started a new thread! Here's my reply on the other thread:

Filmwill,

Even I, an outbound tourist from Thailand, have a plan B and C! We have plans to go skiing in Hokkaido at the end of the year and now we have set up plan B to go to Chiang Mai and plan C to go to Phuket instead.

The Hokkaido plane reservations are only reserved and the tickets are not issue yet so no penalty in case of cancellation or changes. Can't you do this with your travel agent or do they want payment first?

For the hotels(Ryokan and Onsen) we have only booked those that don't require prepayment but that's very hard to do in Japan.

As for the situation in Thailand - it seems that the government threat of actions against the protesters was blocked by members of the Army and other influential people. We are still hopeful of a quick and peaceful end to the situation.

Good luck with your alternative planning!
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 05:31 PM

billy---try and see if you can get in at the alam shanti in ubud....its fabulous....if possible get the gangga room---best room in the place...about $150++ incl breakfast....if not the room under it is good too---that is the room gpanda had....great location...free transportation to town or restaurants and pick up too....only 8 rooms in the whole place....alam jiwa next door is a good choice too...make sure jiwa has a/c....

if you want pics, i have them
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 05:59 PM

Hi filmwill,

Have you actually approached your hotels or booking agent for a refund?

I'm saying this because I am booked with atsiam.com for Centrepoint Silom for the middle of Dec as well and although atsiam's refund policy for Peak period means that I couldn't cancel at all within 30days, I emailed them to ask.

Their reply? Yes, both they and the hotel understand the current Thailand situation and if I wished to cancel, the hotel will refund me and atsiam will only charge 5% admin fee. Very reasonable of them!

Old Nov 27th, 2008, 06:21 PM

I had a similar experience with the Westin Grande Sukhumvit. I had a non-refundable reservation for 11/27. I called the SPG Platinum Conceirge who contacted the hotel directly. I received an email from the Westin's Guest Relations Mgr telling me my reservation was cancelled and I would not be charged.

Old Nov 27th, 2008, 06:43 PM

Janna and Bisbee, good point. I'm sure that given the situation many hotels/booking services will be more flexible than usual.
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 06:47 PM

Exactly . They ought to be flexible and understanding. Afterall, they will definitely want people's business again in the future. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

janna, I sent an email to Sawadee tonight to see just that--and I assume their response will be similar to yours.

We're giving ourselves til Sunday to make a decisions. If things don't look more positive by then, we're switching our tickets to Singapore and changing our trip.

Thanks guys--you've all been great and really supportive (and patient) will all my questions...
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 07:45 PM

Things will work out! Positive karma brings positive results! Happy Travels!
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 08:10 PM

I just received an email from the Peninsula BKK they have cancelled my res with no charge (due to the political situation they said - which i think is jolly decent of them) we should have checked in yesterday stuck in penang and trying to find a flight home to london, earliest we can get is Monday. Eva are unbelievably saying that my flight isn't cancelled yet (due to fly home Sunday lunchtime) so we have to wait and cant book anything (well we could but it could cost us $$$)

Tong (as ever) has been a little sweetheart she cancelled our res at peninsula for us and i followed it up with an email
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Well so much for Plan B...after 2 hours on the phone with supervisors this morning, they are unwilling to move me over to Singapore Air. There are definitely seats available on those flights, but since they don't share the Mileage Plus code they need, it's a no go.

I'm exasperated.

I spoke with Thai Air this morning and they tell us our flight is still on--because the airport is re-opening on Saturday. But we all know that's not happening, so it's just sit and wait now...maybe we'll have a vacation, maybe we won't.

I'm too tired to try and figure out a different plan at this point.
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 10:08 AM

How frustrating!

Tell me again, when are you scheduled to fly to Bangkok?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -