Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

First Class - Toronto to Hong Kong - Cathay Pacific or Singapore Airlines?

Feb 8th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

I have flown transpacific in business and economy class in the past. I have flown first class, but only on short flights. What is first class like on trans pacific flights. I will fly first class on my next trip to the orient, which airline would you choose for a memorable first class experience? Thanks in advance.
Feb 8th, 2004, 11:45 AM

I cant help you on the first class issue but. I'd choose Cathey just becouse it's bassed in HK and if anything comes up.. you'll have better options of getting things solved..

Feb 8th, 2004, 12:32 PM

First class on transoceanic flights is nothing like anything on domestic flights. On domestic flights, first class is more akin to international business class, but without the big, comfortable seats with footrests, individual entertainment centers, etc.

Both Cathay Pacific and Singapore air have excellent reputations. I've flown both in Business Class, but haven't flown them in first class. I'm sure you'd be very pleased with either of them.

In First Class, you should expect seat/consoles with flat beds and individualized entertainment (movies on demand, etc). You should expect top quality champagne (Dom Perignon), XO cognac, caviar, and exceptional service. Enjoy!
Feb 8th, 2004, 01:49 PM

ooops where the heck did I see hong kong in your poste.
Feb 8th, 2004, 02:03 PM

We have been very impressed with Singapore in coach - should think first class would be wonderful!
Feb 8th, 2004, 04:19 PM

By all accounts, Singapore Airlines is the way to go. Some people are not thrilled with their coach (it IS still coach afterall), but the 1st class is supposed to be to die for.

Depending on your routing, you may not have first class as an option, though. My husband and I are taking the new LA-Singapore (18 hour!) flight using Singapore Airlines, and this is a two class aircraft - with Raffles being the business equivalent.

Check out the flyertalk.com forums, if you haven't already. These guys are flying experts and have tons of knowledge specific to each airline and class of service!

Enjoy!
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:27 AM

You will get a good sense as someone else suggested to check out www.flyertalk.com.

But here is my experience. First of all, let me say that you can't go wrong with either one. The first class products of both airlines on the trans-pacific route are excellent. Afterall, you are talking about the two best airlines in the world (in most surveys). Expect video-on-demand, a flat bed, meals at any hour of the flight, quality wine and out of this world service. Have flown on both and between the two, I would pick CX as I like their food better and also better selection of movies and video.
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:46 AM

Both Singapore and Cathay have top-shelf 1st class products: seats that become comfortable beds, attentive service, and food and wine that's both very good and that's served when it's convenient for you, not for the Flight Attendants.

That said, Cathay Pacific (CX) seems the obvious choice to me for a Toronto-Hong Kong flight. CX has direct service between Toronto and Hong Kong, while Singapor (SQ) has no service from Toronto. To fly on Singapore, you would have to first fly on another airline to a city where SQ operates. In short, you save many hours and at least 1 connection by flying CX.
Feb 9th, 2004, 09:04 AM

First on both should be good, but as said, the Catahy direct from Toronto has the benefit of direct flight.
I am surprised someone above saying that some not impressed with Coach/Economy on SQ.
Seats have decent legroom, footrest, amazing in-flight seatback TVs, both systems great but the newer version has movie 'on demand' i.e you can pause a movie and return to it. Food is good and service friendly and efficient, I really don't see how it could be faulted on any account. Service is good. Champagen after t/off. When I had a seat booked from Brisbane to Singapore and 'wondered' if I could change it to a flight from Melbourne to Singapore(cheapy ticket deal), no problem, instant on the phone.
Note: The new non-stop LAX-SIN on their Airbus 345's 'does' have extra legroom and only 7 across in coach/economy instead of usual 8, worth checking their website for anyone planning to use that route.
Feb 9th, 2004, 08:51 PM

I haven't any experience with Singapore, but have flown Cathay a bunch of times in coach and business class.

Even in coach the service is excellent and attentive through the duration of the flight - food actually edible, water constantly being served to stave off dehyration, snacks like soup noodles and ice cream offered and galley with snacks, fresh fuit, etc available in the "off service hours"

Cathay includes seat rests, good head rests, individual monitors, personal overnight kit, etc. (I would assume the same is true of Singapore, but I don't know).

Cathay business class is better than AA First class domestically by a long shot (of course that's not saying much these days). Very comfortable and excellent service. Cathays lounges are also great and should be taken advantage of.
Feb 10th, 2004, 06:31 AM

Singapore Air is the best!!!!. No records of transport strike, beautiful stewardesses, comfortable flight and good service.
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:20 AM

First some facts. Singapore Airlines does not fly from Toronto to Hong Kong. You would have to connect through San Francisco on some other airline to catch their direct flight to HKG. Cathay Pacific does have 1 non-stop flight a day from Toronto to HKG, flying a Airbus 340-300, a 3 class plane.

Skytrax - an independent airline industry group watchdog based in the UK runs a best airline/airport survey. In 2003 close to 5 million business and frequent travelers participated in the survey. Cathay Pacific was voted no.1 in the world, followed by Emirates and Singapore in third place. Interestingly enough, when looking at the category breakdown, Singapore was voted no.1 for first class followed by Cathay Pacific. Then when looking at the best airline in Asia, Cathay Pacific is back at the top spot followed by Singapore. Both have wonderful lounge facilities in their prospective hubs, so Cathay Pacific would win in this case since you are going to Hong Kong.

Both airlines are famous for their service, Full suites seats with duvets, great amenity kits, pajamas, wonderful menus, cooked to order food, wonderful wine and champaign selection and also full bar, video and music on demand, power ports.

So as you could see, it's either or. What you have to decide is how do you want to get there. Non-stop or connection, also look at any price difference. I would say you would have a wonderful experience on either one.

I will be flying Cathay Pacific first class from LAX-HKG and continue to Johannesburg this Friday. I will try to report as I go. I will be lucky enough to try 2 different planes on this trip. Boeing 747 and the new Airbus 340-600. The frequent flyers that I know make a point that the 747 first cabin is better although little bigger. It has 12 seats while the Airbus has on 8. Still they prefer the 747 because of it's location, in the nose of the plane, which cuts down on any through traffic, where the 340 has a galley in front of the cabin, which means the FAs walk up and down. Also the 747 has more of a club feeling. The first row seats A and B actually are so close to the front that the windows allow you to look forward, because they are curved.

For some great pictures of both First clss cabins go to:

www.airliners.net

and do a photo search for both airlines and cabin views.