Please help with Itinerary - 8 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2018, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Sri Lanka with a week in early July, with 2 seniors ( mobile but not able to walk a lot) and a 14 yr old. I know the parents wont be able to walk to see all the sites, but they are still keen to come. My thought - we will travel at a slow pace. What they can see, they will see. Otherwise, my son and I can go see the sights while they do something else less taxing. The other goal- not to move each day to a new location. What are your thoughts on the itinerary below -

July 4 - Day 1 - arrive CMB at 5pm. Spend night in Negombo

July 5 - Day 2 - use Sigiriya or Dombulla as base - spend that day sightseeing. Spend night there. I am getting Aliya Resort & Spa at a good rate, so thinking of going with it. Dont want to stay in a sprawling hotel requiring the parents to walk a lot.

July 6 - Day 3 - Dambulla as a base for Sigiriya/Anuradhapura/Polonnaruwa. Spent night at base hotel.

July 7 - Day 4 - Kandy. Night in Kandy. Visit Temple of the Tooth.

July 8 - Day 5 - Drive to Galle. Sightseeing. Night in Galle

July 9 - Day 6 - Stay in Galle that night as well.Maybe check with Bentota?

July 10 - Day 7 - drive back to Colombo

July 11 - Day 8 - fly back early morning at 8am

So hoping to get some advice here. Thank you in advance!
D
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 03:41 PM

I think you have not planned enough time for Sigiriya/Anuradhapura/Polonnaruwa and the Dambulla cave temples, You have just two nights in the area, which is just one full day. Anuradhapura is a very long drive, so I suggest you skip it. You will be lucky to see Polonnaruwa, the Dambulla cave temples and Sigiriya in the time you have. If you want to do the climb up Sigiriya, plan it for as early as your can, as it will be hot. Leave the parents elsewhere for that jaunt. Consider spending less time at Galle (and forget Bentota). I know the distances look short on the map, but the drives are long. You might find our photos of our trip to be helpful: www.marlandc.com click on Sri Lanka.
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice. Based on your reply - will do some additional research and plan. Lovely pics on your blog, when was the last time you visited Sri Lanka? Also have you see Alu Vihare? I am thinking of doing it instead of Dambulla...
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 11:40 AM

We were last in Sri Lanka a decade ago. We did not visit Alu Vihare, so I can't give a direct comparison. I wouldn't pass on the Dambulla Cave Temples - they are spectacular. We had 12 days in Sri Lanka and would have enjoyed more time there as there is so much to see! Good luck with your planning. When I was planning that trip, we listed all the places we wanted to see and had to cut half! Choosing what not to see is a hard task.
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 07:53 PM

I visited Sri Lanka in September, 2017. You can see my brief trip report if you click on my name. I spent the first night in Negombo, and then I had a private driver take me to Dambulla, where I spent the next four nights. I was busy every minute in that area, and it was the highlight of my time in Sri Lanka. The history and culture is amazing, and I liked Anuradhapura immensely. Dambulla was a perfect base, as it is a nice little town. I heeded Kathie's advice about staying there for four night, and it was a wise decision. Be sure and go on the elephant safari at Minhatale, but please do not participate in any of the opportunities that you see for riding elephants in that vicinity.

I skipped Galle because it did not interest me. If looks like you have seven total nights? If you spend one night in Negombo, four in Dambulla, one in Kandy, then you have one night left. You could spend that last night in Negombo and go to the beach, or you could see the sights in Colombo, which I found to be moderately interesting.
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 12:37 PM

We spent two weeks in Sri Lanka October 2017. Could you reverse your itinerary to start in Galle ? Arrive 5 pm drive to Galle (2 nights), then Kandy (1 night), Dambulla/Sigiriya (3 nights) and last night in Negombo. We loved Galle for its variety of things to do and see, fabulous food and ease of getting around. The fort area is easily walkable.
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 10:58 PM

We are finishing up our Sri Lankan trip as we speak. You can read my trip report. If you have the energy on arrival, I would head immediately up to Dambulla and so you won't waste time the next morning getting there. I agree with Kathie to skip Anuradhapura and see the 3 sites she mentioned. I would then head to Kandy and see if you can sneak in a night or 2 in Nuwara Eliya and see the tea plantations since this is something you won't get in too many countries. Skip the long ride to Galle - it is nice to visit, but with your limited time, not a worthwhile site.