Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

February Trip with Kids - Excursions from Bangalore

Oct 3rd, 2005, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

We will be visiting family for 3-4 weeks in February. Based out of Bangalore. Kids will be 5 and 2.5. They (and we) are used to some travel (Trip to Italy and Croatia with the youngans) but not to India with the kids.

Our family in Bangalore is new to the area (re-lo from American firm although family is Indian - I, wife, am not).

While most of our time will be visiting family, taking a quick trip to Calcutta and Bombay to do more family visiting, we would like about 5-7 days of our trip to be an excursion from Bangalore that allows us to see more of the country, relax, enjoy.

I have seen quite a bit of Rajasthan and am excited for options in South India and Kerala. Given we are with kids though I want to avoid long long drives, and pick appropriate trip.

Would love thoughts on where to go from Bangalore...

Better to fly to regional destination???
Houseboats crazy with kids??
Wildlife with enough comfort to suit us??

This is very first start at research so thanks for any thoughts.
Oct 4th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

topping
Oct 4th, 2005, 04:31 PM

Lots of places in the vicinity of Bangalore. Kerala is certainly an option - I am not sure re the houseboat with kids your age but there are loads of non houseboat options. Munnar, Thekkaddy, Kumarokam very doable. Please advise budget. Will require 1 flight. Near Kerala i.e. no flight required is Kabini River Lodge. Are also some other similar options. Your kids may enjoy a treehouse experience - Green Magic Nature Resort - look it up on www.ecoclub.com. I am afraid getting anywhere will require a bit of drive (3-6 hours depending on whatr you choose) but you could probably choose a destination where you need to make the 1 drive going and 1 coming and that's it. Goa is another option - short hop from Bangalore, very kid friendly, good weather in Feb and you could potentially spend the whole 5-7 days there.
Oct 4th, 2005, 04:35 PM

One of the nicest places we visited in Kerala was Cherai Beach on Vypin Island, near Fort Cochin. Check out www.cheraibeachresorts.com-Kerala's OK if you can accept the mosquitoes will try to eat you alive! We love Mysore and plan to spend more time in Ooty, Munnar and up in the tea plntations. It's cooler there! Also Chennai, Pondicherry are on our list for March 2006. Buy a Footprint India. Heaps of info there! Good luck!
Oct 4th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Great, this will help guide my research. $$ not an issue really although Super luxe unlikely. Still have to recover from last months Croatia trip.
Oct 4th, 2005, 06:21 PM

Take a look at www.cghearth.com for an amazing chain of boutique hotels in Kerala. IN Goa you could cosnider splitting the time between the South Goa pristine beaches and North Goa more happening location. The Taj group of hotels has a property in South Goa, Taj Exotica and a North Goa property, Aguada Holiday Village (very child friendly, great pool). You could perhpas book a 5-6 night package with them and split your time.