Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Favorite shops for exquisite crafts in Bangkok? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/favorite-shops-for-exquisite-crafts-in-bangkok-563750/)

Kathie Oct 10th, 2005 06:59 PM

Favorite shops for exquisite crafts in Bangkok?

I'm deep into my planning for my November trip. While the bulk of this trip will be to Borneo, I'll have time pre-and post-Borneo in Bangkok. While I have lots of favorite places to shop, I'm interested in others' favorites. I'm primarily interested in local crafts and local products. (I used the word "exquisite" in my title because I'm looking for mostly higher-end crafts items.)

Bob, I made note of the place you recommended, Rasi Sayan on Soi 33. Any others?

Gloria and Guenmai and Hobbes, etc, I'd love to hear about your favorite places.

rhkkmk Oct 10th, 2005 07:41 PM

kathie---check the sale schedule for the thai craft association...almost every month on a saturday they have a sale at the ambassador hotel...very worth while...www.thaicraft.org

you've never been to rasi sayam?? i can't believe it!!! it is simply the most fabulous shop in bkk....there are affordable things for $6 or $8 as well as woven purses for hundreds of $$...some nice silk as well but there was less of it last time...no idea what the new shop will be like...history: it was started by an american ex-pat from WI...he did non-profit work in bkk (must be gloria's friend)...last year his parents got sick and he had to return to the states so he gave the shop to the charity to run in the futrue...maybe the house where it was has now been sold as well...they speak excellent english in the shop and it is a pleasure to go there...call and get the correct address...i have it upstairs....no let me go to the attic now and get it for you...wait a minute...

Found it!! and others...
rasi sayam (i spelled it wrong)
82 soi 33, sukhumvit rd
Tel: 02-262-0729
M-Sat 9-5:30

map shows going down soi 33 from sukhumvit to the 3rd mini-soi on the right--there is a laundry opposite this road...the shop is on the left side of this soi about 1/2 way down..

almost behind it on soi 39 is L'Opera restaurant which is excellent...so if you went to the end of soi 33 and turned right and to the end of that block at soi 39, opera would be on your right at the corner...one of the best in bkk for italian...
nearest sky train stop Prompong @ emporium of course...

i found the directions for the paya shop as well...they do custom covers, duvet, fouton, windows, etc...
take soi 63, sukhumvit....to a left onto soi 63-5, just before the esso station... it is on your right about 1/2 between sukhumvit and new phetbury rds...it is opposite the toa paint company..Tel: 02-711-4457

fatima self help center...run by the catholic church...two locations: the factory at 4138/1 asoke-dindaeng rd, din daeng, bkk...Tel: 245-0457...it is behind the large church---wat mae phra fatima...about 3 blocks...

their shop which actually had a better stock this past summer is in the entrance roadway to the villa supermarket at 591/17 sukhumvit, soi 33-33/1..on the right as you head to the parking for the supermarket...

they make handsewn items for children...wonderful smocked dresses, cloth books, quilts, toys...wonderful stuff very cheap...well worth a visit for this type of thing...they do custom items as well if you give them 2 weeks notice...grandmother's heaven...a smock dress was about $17 as compared to one in usa for $125 or more...

two others: gifted hands...she hand makes jewerly from old and new beads and stones, etc...she operates out of the living room of her house...lots of silver items...

her house is about at the end of the road on the right in a small house with a gate and fence out front...

172/18 sukhumvit rd, soi 23 (it actually is the road parallel to soi 23--a bit hard to describe)
Tel: 02-258-4010

there is also a shopping map for this neighborhood if you are interested...ask any shop along soi 23 for it...well worth an afternoon in this area...

wonderful inexpensive gifts...

carol--good for your soroity sisters??

bronze and stainless steel items...they used to have a shop in the shangri-la...many of their items are used in the dining rooms of bkk...
their shop is now at their house...call for an appointment and they will pick you up and deliver you back...we bought a ton of stuff from them this summer and had it shipped...it arrived in 4 days...

pat is the owner..

PA Bronze co
45/26 Soi chareonkrung 93, chareongrung rd (new road)--not far from menam hotel
watprayakrai, bkk
Tel: 2-292-1968

e-mail: [email protected]

not much bronze but tons of stainless that is hand hammered...it looks like silver...all hand made..large and small pieces....

pat is a delight and you will get to meet the whole family...

i think you have treasurers and pleasurers but if not get one from amazon...

Kathie Oct 11th, 2005 05:36 AM

Thanks, Bob, for your recommendations.

Someone (Gpanda, I think) also posted about a shopping center where they had found Burmese bells. I wrote it down at the time, but have misplaced it. I can't seem to find the post. So suggestions for fine crafts from other countries sre also appreciated.

Gpanda Oct 11th, 2005 06:14 AM

Kathie-The Burmese Bells were in a shop on the third floor of Gaysorn Plaza. be sure to get some cigars in the basement while you're there. The shop that Bob went on and on and on about is actually as good as he says. We bought several things. Fortunately, we found it on our own and did not have to listen to his seemingly endless praise.

hobbes Oct 11th, 2005 07:03 AM

I really like Sop Moei for woven texttiles of a very high quality - www.sopmoeiarts.com - all proceeds to chairty so feel good factor ghigh too! Momentumn is great tho much of their stuff is on order only. Also Emmas for craft items and Almeta for silks. All in Luxe.

Guenmai Oct 11th, 2005 07:11 AM

There's a place called Naga House that's a way out of the center of Bangkok. It's in a Thai-style house and the items for sale look like parts of the belongings of the house. I haven't gotten there yet, because I just haven't had the time...you can either call them and they'll pick you up...or if you have a driver, have the driver call and get specific directions as I hear it's confusing to fine. When I get home, I'll look up the address in my journal. I have a magazine picture of the place from a few years back and it looks gorgeous. Happy Travels!

annyi Oct 11th, 2005 07:48 AM

try o-top from government agentcy. they are everywhere in bkk, Cm, phuket
ask tat.org

glorialf Oct 11th, 2005 09:39 AM

Sop Moie has fabulous things but it's main store is in Chiang Mai. Oriental Plaza has some wonderful and unique craft stores -- again no bargains. Naga House is excellent.

rhkkmk Oct 11th, 2005 09:55 AM

we did go to naga house...it was quite a ride....the stuff was very artsy....all very high end...high style...very very expensive...we neither bought anything or saw anything that interested us...they followed us around like we were thiefs which was off-putting honestly...

i would peg it as the place for ny ceo's wives to shop while their husbands are otherwise busy....

we would not return...they were also not all that friendly...how un-thai...

Kathie Oct 11th, 2005 11:09 AM

Thanks, lots of good suggestions!

Craig Oct 11th, 2005 11:13 AM

Great thread, Kathie - I have printed it out for my own use.

glorialf Oct 11th, 2005 11:21 AM

Bob-- my experience at Naga House was the exact opposite. I also bought nothing but the staff spent three hours with me explaining things, giving me background, serving me tea and if I had wanted a snack. I learned a huge amount about the art in thailand from them and had one of my more positive experiences. And I made it very clear very early on that it their store was way out of my price range, unfortunately. They seemed to like my passion for the products and my desire to learn more and they responded. I could easily have spent another two hours there.

Weird that your experience was so different.

glorialf Oct 11th, 2005 11:24 AM

Check out this website:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...gkok&hl=en

rhkkmk Oct 11th, 2005 07:59 PM

gloria...maybe we just hit the wrong sales person...they seemed self occupied as well as i remember....much of the stuff was over the top and way to elaborate for the average american palate or at least for ours....remember we are from boston...dour and restrained...

glorialf Oct 11th, 2005 08:23 PM

Bob-- as I said, I didn't buy anything. The main reason I had such a good time was because the people were so friendly and informative. But as is often the case everyone can have a good or bad day. i must have hit the store on a good day.

Lyndie Oct 12th, 2005 12:32 AM

Thanks for posting this!

I too, love beautiful things so I much appreciate the input from those who have the means to pursue the exquisite!

Smeagol Oct 12th, 2005 02:46 AM

Am sure many of you will have seen this before, but for those of you who haven't i just came across this website and looks very interesting
www.ishoparoundtheworld.com then click on destination you want and then choose your shopping needs. It brings up list of shops in Thailand and includes the one Bob mentioned...Hope this helps

rhkkmk Oct 12th, 2005 05:42 AM

jane...that web site is the site for the treasurers and pleasurers books i told you about...it is a good site..

Smeagol Oct 12th, 2005 05:55 AM

Bob
The website is fab isn't it.. I wondered about the links to the book. Am still having no luck getting it in the uk, such a pain..

Read some of your trip report yesterday (from June) Fantastic, although i had to stop half way through, really needed to get some work done! Shall finish off tonight. Really enjoying it so far. Let me warn you mine will be no where near as good.....
(although am going to take a leaf out of your wife’s book and take a little jotter with me because i can never remember restaurant names....)

Bella_Bluebell Oct 12th, 2005 06:07 AM

Hi Smeagol - we had no trouble getting it in the UK a couple of years ago and I've just checked and it is still available. If you ask at your local bookstore they can order it for you or alternatively, buy on amazon.co.uk - see links below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...780106-5700624 - this is for thailand and myanmar

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...780106-5700624 - this covers thailand only

We used the Thailand/Myanmar when we visted in 2003 - I think the publishing date is 2002. The one that is just on Thailand was published in 2000 and so we got the other as we thought it might be more up to date. If you want to order it from your local book shop, take the ISBN number from amazon and that should enable them to order it easily.

L