Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Favorite Kyoto Guidebooks and background reading?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm beginning to get serious about planning a trip to Kyoto. I'd love to hear your recommendations for guidebooks and backgroud reading. I've been browsing Amazon and want to buy most of them...
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 06:33 PM

I really enjoyed "Untangling My Chopsticks" - not a guidebook at all but a foreigner's take on learning the art of tea kaiseki. Great description of food and customs and the learning process.

Consider taking the 2 1/2 hour train trip to Kanazawa and we'll show you around.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 06:34 PM

I have five or six books. One that I brought with me and came in handy was Kyoto A Cultural Guide by John H. and Phyllis G. Martin. This book went into very detailed descriptions of many of the sights which comes in very handy as there is often little English signage and/or leaflets and brochures. But it is around 350 pages to carry around ;-)
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look for those. Keep the suggestions coming!

Kim, what a lovely invitation! As our plans firm up, I'll see if we can make that work out for all of us. We'd love to visit!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 08:34 PM

Kathy, really do think it over because I mean it...if you want to come you are more than welcome. If you wanted, we could arrange it so you could even stay at our house rather than a hotel...it's not a special house, but it is comfortable and very Japanese in a cute, very old traditional neighborhood, and we quite like the house and the neighbors. We've got 3 bedrooms that are real bedrooms, and 2 more rooms that easily accomodate futons on the floor Japanese style. Air conditioning and heating. You could even choose bed or futon, first or second floor, as we all don't mind much where we sleep.

My early morning walks are always entertainment for me. We've got the local pickle shop, sweets shop, fish shop, tofu shop, rice shop, rice vinegar shop...all within 5 minutes walk. And we are 15 minutes leisurely walk to the downtown area of Kanazawa Katamachi/Kohrinbo. And, we just bought a new car that seats 7, Volkswagen Touran (not sold in US) that will be delivered when we return to Japan at the end of this month. We could drive you around comfortably.

You know, two other Fodorites have come through Kanazawa and we've met. It's really nice to put a face to a name, and it's fun for us to have visitors.

It might be best, though, to put any concrete plans into an e-mail or phone call. You can e-mail me at teaghanmackenzie @ mac.com close the gaps to make the address work.

So any time in the planning, fire off an e-mail if you think you'd like to visit us or if you need some specific kinds of help with booking rooms...you know that many, many places charge rack rates only English and have buckets of discounts for Japanese...so I feel joy by getting the Japanese language rate for tourists because I just don't think it's fair.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 04:24 AM

I agree with <i>Untangling My Chopsticks</i> -- it's an easy read and a good view of [a slice of] Japanese life and customs as seen through an American's eyes.

My favorite guidebook, by far, is Diane Durston's <i>Kyoto: Seven Paths to the Heart of the City</i>. The author describes in great detail seven walks in and around Kyoto, and the book is filled with mouth-watering photos. The book (it's an oversize paperbound) both was fantastic preparation before my trip and an equally fantastic reminder afterwards.

Durston also authored the guidebook <i>Old Kyoto, A Guide to Traditional Shops and Inns</i>, but I didn't find that to be nearly as useful.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 04:51 AM

Bonjour Kathie,

&quot;Kyoto, A Contemplative Guide&quot; by G. Mosher (Tuttle, ISBN 0-8048-1294-2).
It is a tour of most of the historical landmarks, commented from the perspective of the role they have played in the history of Kyoto and Japan. A great guide and a fine work of litterature. The only caveat is that the information &quot;on how to get there&quot; is a bit dated (1993).
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Kim, thanks so much. I will email you.

And many thanks for the additional guidebook recommendations, rizzuto and Florence.

Any more? Mr. W?
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:09 AM

Kathie:

I'm not mr.w but we used what I thought was a unique book on Kyoto called &quot;Old Kyoto - A Guide to Traditional Shops, Restaurants &amp; Inns&quot; by Diane Durston.
It tells you where all the old interesting(at least to us) shops and restaurants are located in Kyoto. Picked up a copy on Amazon for a couple of bucks as I remember it. The best two bucks I've spent in a while. Also used Frommers &quot;Kyoto&quot; for hotel and sightseeing recs.
Consider a daytrip to Nara....really worth the effort.

Aloha!
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, HT. I'm developing quite a list!
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

My first set of books has arrived from Amazon. Florence, your recommendation is long out of print, but I located a copy and it is being shipped. I'm sure I will have more questions as time goes on.

Many thanks for all the recommendations!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 08:40 AM

I will be in Tokyo at the end of September for business. I also am looking into a day trip to Kyoto. What is Kanazawa? I'm in need of some good places for research also Please help.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Spellbound, it sounds like you need to pick up a basic guidebook to help you formulate what you want to do and see in Japan. Take a look at the Fodors, Frommers, Insight, or Lonely Planet guides, for instance.

If you have a specific question, do post it as a separate question. Otherwise the people who know are unlikely to respond. The books recommended to me are excellent books, but are focussed on Kyoto.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:53 PM

Kathie,
Thank you so much. I will get one of the fodors or frommers guides to kyoto. I did not mean to hijak this thread, but thought I was in a predicament close to yours. THANKS