Favorite Hotel in Bali

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Jennie

Favorite Hotel in Bali

I will be in Bali in November and want to know where you would stay (your favorite hotel) and what I shouldn't miss in six days.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 05:24 AM
chiara

Don't know your preferences, but can suggest you the marvellous Intercontinental Hotel, five stars on Gimbarana Beach, not far from Dempasar Airport. Don't miss Padang-Padang beach, where all the surfers stay and Dreamland beach. Both the beaches are in the area of UluWatu Temple, quite close to the hotel. Spend a day in Ubud, enjoying indonesian massages in a local beauty center and then have a good time in Seminiak. There's a great restaurant named La Lucciola, just in front of the sea. Another place to dine is Poppiies. Enjoy Bali, my favourite destination in Indonesia.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 10:44 AM
Kathie

My favorite hotel in Bali is the Bai Hyatt on Sanur beach. It's an older property with mature landscaping. I always stay in the Regency Club (extra services, breakfast and evening drinks and hors d'oeuvres in the lovely club room designed as a Balinese pavillion). Cost last time I was there was in the $125 a night range. It's much cheaper than the huge hotels over in Nusa Dua, and it has more of the feel of "old Bali" to it as well as a nice beach. They can easily arrange a car and driver for you to go to Ubud or to see the Barong dance or to tour the mountains and other parts of the island. Note that there is far too much to see and do for 6 days. Plan to see a little, but also plan to slow down and experience Bali.

Wherever you decide to stay, enjoy!

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 01:23 AM
Donna

Depending on your budget and interests, there are many great choices for hotels, ranging from less than $50 per day to several hundred for a villa. If you want beaches, Legion,Jimbaran or Sanur are good quieter places to base yourself. Nusa Dua is a deluxe resort area but has very little Balinese character.
If you are interested in the local culture, you must stay at least a few days in Ubud, the cultural center of Bali. The best hotels are the ones along the river valleys with fabulous views including the Four Seasons and Amandari hotels.

Some of my favorite must-do's:

Ancient temples such as Gunung Kawi, Tampaksiring, Ulun Danau, Tanah Lot and many more.

Rice padi walks and views of rice terraces at Jatiluwih and Tegallalang

Traditional dances like Legong, Barong, Calonarang, and Kecak.

Many people like the view of the lake and volcano at Batur.

Botanical gardens - a lush garden in a cool spot.

Hindu temple ceremonies - and a cremation if any are scheduled while you're there (be sure to dress appropriately)

Art museums Puri Lukisan and Neka Museum. Shopping for paintings, crafts and furniture.

When you get to Bali, you can hire a private driver to take you around, don't bother taking the bus tours (which make their money on taking you to commission restaurants and shops). Cost is approx $30 per 8 hour day for an air conditioned car with english speaking driver.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 07:10 PM
angela

I don't know your budget but we LOVED a small boutique style hotel in ubud. Ibah luxury villas, it is quite honestly the moct beautiful place we saw, which in Bali is saying a great deal. They do have a web site though I can't remember it offhand. Ubud is fabulous and we enjoyed walking through the sculpted fields of rice which surround the town. I second the other recommendations about massage and hiring a car and driver.

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 04:50 AM
Kristie

We stayed at the Grand Bali Beach Hotel in Sanur 2 year's ago. This hotel was on the beach and offered a high standard of comfort and service. The reception area is amazing in its design and has to be seen! We stayed in a superior room in the tower block but there are lots of cottages in the wonderful gardens which looked fantastic (they are also less expensive). We wished we'd stayed in one!

Sanur itself has lots of good restaurants/ shops to visit. Restuarants offer free transport to and from your hotel if you just ask. I too recommend Poppy's in Kuta - ask your taxi driver for it as its difficult to find otherwise.

If you're into organised trips I'd recommend the White Water Rafting - what a fantastic day with lunch included. A little scarey at first - but soon began to enjoy myself - the best trip ever!!!

Enjoy your trip

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 08:22 AM
Bruce

The Bali Hilton is just wonderful, great pool and places to eat. Beautiful. No I do not work there!