Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > FAO: DW and Amrita; hidden beauty spots
Notices

FAO: DW and Amrita; hidden beauty spots

Jan 27th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

FAO: DW and Amrita; hidden beauty spots

Enjoyed reading your insider tips and would be interested in any specific ideas for Feb 4 - 24 2003. My wife and I are experienced overseas travellers and ex-pat residents in Asia in the past, but still young, fit and adventurous. Prefer travel on local transport in general rather than private cars due to atmosphere and unplanned encounters with locals. I am interested in photography in particular, cultural heritage, spots away from large resorts, quiet beaches. Occasional luxury treats never go amiss, though! Look forward to your replies. Thank you in advance.
Jan 30th, 2003, 08:45 AM

Hiya Chad.
Sorry for the delay.
When you go down to the South (Galle)try to visit the Former Dutch Governor's banglow.It's between Galle and Unawatuna.I think it's more towards Unawatuna.Try to spend a day or two there.It's a guest house and it will be very interesting.Its a beutiful Colonial Dutch house with a big garden. Travel by train most of the time cos it's better for your nerves.The buses drive like mad.
Try this website .It has lots of information about S-L.
WWW.infolanka.com
Don't miss this..... click to people and under artists and Painter's- Bavis Bawa.Interesting site with photos of the house Brief.You have to go inland from the town called Beruwela.
I hope you 2 will have a very interesting time in S-L.
Amrita.
Jan 30th, 2003, 02:57 PM
dsw

Hi Chad,
I second Amrita's suggestion abt "Brief"-Bevis Bawa's residence. I went there the last time I was in SL & really enjoyed the beauty of the gardens. My suggestions for photographic sites-
1) Horton Plains national park in the hill country.
2)If you're interested in Wildlife -- Yala.
3) Anuradhapura -- ruins/art from ancient buddhist temples.
There's much to photograph in Sl, it's hard to choose. I'm sure you'll find many interesting opportunities to photograph.

check out this site for more info, it's SL Tourist board web site:
http://www.srilankatourism.org/
Happy Travels!
DW

Search this Thread