Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Family trip to Lombok in June. Yes or No ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, my family and I plan to go on a 7 day holiday in June. I have a 7 year old son and a 5 year old daughter.

We are considering Lombok ... one of the gili's. We're looking at having a super relaxed holiday at the beach.

1 - Am i right the gili air is the best island for families with young kids ? Not too "party"ish ; not super quiet, too. Any recommendastions on places to stay ? Not more than USD 100 please for a place that will fit us. probably need 1 king and 1 single, at least.

2 - What's the best way to get to lombok to Gili Air ? we are flying in from singapore. silkair is too pricey for 4 of us at full price (!) so i'm thinking of getting to Bali/denpasar then...taking a boat ? As I have 2 young kids with me, i'd prefer not to take the small outriggers i used to take when I was single while island hopping in the Philippines and thailand !

3 - is 7 days way too much ? we're an active family and actually enjoy exploring, activities, etc. But we're having a full-on 1st quarter and expect the same for teh 2nd quarter so considering a pure chill out holiday

Thank you!
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 10:19 AM

I think 7 days would be too much for the kids - the place is tiny and there isn't a lot to do. While we loved our time on Lombok, with kids, I think Bali is a better option - so much to see and do. I'd choose a place like the Bali Hyatt with its beautiful grounds and gardens and the children's program. It is located on Sanur beach. (BTW, I wouldn't opt for the Grand Hyatt on Nusa Dua - sterile and boring.)
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 07:42 PM

I haven't been to Gili Air, but based on the other Gili's beach activities are pretty much the only attraction. Dining, exploring and excursions are limited.

There are several modern high speed ferries that leave from Pandang Bai in Bali. No outriggers: the seas in the Bali/Lombok channel are very rough. The cost of getting from the airport to the port and the ferry fares may just wipe out your air savings, so check the rates.

Bali has a lot to offer for kids, but you may have a hard time keeping within your budget at any of the southern beaches. (Is that $100 per room or $100 in total for two rooms?)

Take a look at Amed in northeast Bali.

It's not the beach, but the Ubud area offers a lot of activities -- both nature and culture -- and is serenely relaxing. There are plenty of choices. For one, Alam Sari is great with kids.
Old Mar 5th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

thank you