Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Family trip in October: Phuket/Krabi/Koh Samui areas??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a family trip to Tahiland and Hong Kong in October with our 9 y.o boy & 6 y.o girl.
Our itinerary allows us 4-5 days in the south starting on Oct 17 but when considering where to go we stay confused after reading all guides and exploring variuos Web sites.
One factor is the weather and our understanding was that Koh Samui may be (statistically) too rainy/windy at this time of year (Is that right?).
If we choose Phuket (too touristic?) we'll be glad to have recommendations of appropriate places for this time of year as there are too many choices there.
And for Krabi (we first tended to go there) we're still debating between Ao Nang and Railay area.
Since it is our first trip to this region we realy do not know what to expect.
In any case we'd like to locate ourselves at a beautiful hotel near the beach, enjoy the facilities of the hotel and explore the area by day tours.

Any recommendatios that will help us fix ourselves on one of these locations will be appreciated and allow us to continue our planning.

Thanks.

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Thailand.. not Tahiland ...
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:36 AM

Every year the October weather question comes up, October is the month when seasons change, the Gulf area including Samui is affected by the weather up in the China Seas, and at that time fall/autumn is heading towards winter and the rains can start, on the other side, Phuket/Krabi the Monsoons from Indian Sub-continent across the Bay of bengal die down and the calm weather comes in, it is very much luck and changes from year to year.
Early October Samui would be better, but Phuket wins on amount of activities, cheaper flights to/from Phuket etc.
On the 'touristy' level Samui and Phuket are totally equal, both provide what they claim to provide and that is plentiful accommodation, beaches, restaurants, nightlife and tourist activities, they both rely ipon tourism and hence provide what the tourist market demands.
If you want facilities lots of tour options, restaurants and shopping them you have to stick to the touristy areas as they provide such.
Phuket is a good all round even choice and you can of course find different beaches that offer different 'styles' and relative busy/quiet.
Also tell us where you are flying from as that helps flight planning, with 4 of you the domestic flight sectors can mount up, you would with those ages be paying the equivielnt of 3 adult returns, as I said Phuket flights way way cheaper than Samui and also during October you will find lots of bargains on Phuket, also perhaps more for the kids to do.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 06:26 AM

Thaivisa web site is reporting today that Phuket is running out of water in the reservoir. They will try seeding the clouds today. I guess the yearly monsoon season wasn't such a wet one so far on Phuket!

I plan to go there next month. I hope their month-long water supply can last until I leave... !

James, maybe you can share any info on this. Also, there is news about Thai Air raising prices for flights both in and outside of Thailand. Int'l flight rates go up on Sept 5. In-country rates have already risen, according to thaivisa.

Carol
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 07:57 AM

Sorry I don't look at the site you mentioned.

www.phuketgazette.net has all the up to date news, yes, they are sending in the rain makers, of course the rain is 'vital' and many forget that without enough rain there would be dust and sand instead of the gloriius scenary.

Thai Airways are increasing fuel surcharges but that is just along the same lines as most carriers worldwide so nothing special, oil prices are up and the cost of aviation fuel has risen steeply worldwide.