Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Family-friendly bungalow resorts/beaches on Phuket or Samui?

Family-friendly bungalow resorts/beaches on Phuket or Samui?

Oct 7th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Family-friendly bungalow resorts/beaches on Phuket or Samui?

My family (husband and 2 young sons (7 & 4) will be travelling to Bangkok in Jan or Feb to pick up our adopted daughter (who will be a toddler by then). After our week there, we'd like to spend a week in an easily accessible beach resort to relax and bond with our new daughter.

Unfortunately, we won't have much notice before we travel (2 to 6 weeks), so can't book anything far in advance. With that in mind, I'd love to hear what resorts you'd recommend and any other advice you can offer re: best beaches, travelling with kids, etc..

Here's what we are looking for:
1. Basically, we need a mid-range ($75-$115 US) beachfront bungalow resort (though we'd be fine in a garden or pool view bungalow) in a family friendly resort with a pool where we can hunker down for 4 or 5 days. With three kids in tow, we need to be able to stay put and get all needs met. We don't know if our new baby girl will be a good day-tripper, and are assuming that we won't be able to go far.
2. We need a place where we can eat dinner or have a drink while our boys play in the pool or on the beach. They can only sit for so long...
2. Really nice staff who are patient with high-energy little boys.
3. Clean safe beach. Shallow is fine, so long as water is good for kids. We'd like to be away from nightlife and crowds. Swimming and beginning snorkeling (for kids) would be great, but not imperative.
4. Good food. Not brilliant, just good - preferably with some western choices for the boys.

BTW, I've checked out Krabi and can't find anything that meets my criteria. Pls. let me know if I've missed something.

Also, pls. let me know which beaches you think would be best for our purposes.

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer.
temple
Oct 7th, 2006, 08:49 PM

take a look at peace resort in bophut, samui
Oct 8th, 2006, 05:03 PM

Hello Temple,

We talked in a different setting about some of these issues, but I just wanted to add that you will find that Thai staff tend to be VERY supportive of parents and seem to really enjoy having kids around. I think that you need not worry at all about that aspect of your trip.

That said, you can't expect them to provide much in terms of quality supervision - except when actually in a kids' club. It is not uncommon to see quite young Thai kids playing unsupervised at the beach. But - in terms of overall attitude to kids: excellent.

Search this Thread