Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Family Beaches w Snorkeling in S Andaman?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The family is arriving in late January into late February.

First BKK then Luang Prabang, Siem Reap (thanks Fodorites for all the great tips!) then the South Andaman.
What is the mosquito situation at this time of year? Do we need to take malaria pills or just lots of DEET and long sleeves? Any guide tips for these areas?

We are bringing our son (12) and daughter (9) -- anything special or cautionary we should keep an eye out for? The love nature, beaches and water.

We are planning about 10 days on the coast -- the safety warnings have caused us to back off flying into Hat Yai and going to Ko Bulon Leh... Was this the right move?

We want to mix nice quiet beaches/islands with coastal explorations. But kids - and thus their parents - have limits on how long a bus, taxi, boat ride they can tolerate to and from. Any suggestions?

We seek like towns and infrastructure (restaurants and transportation) but we don't want sprawling development and late night partying impairing our sleep... Fodors and Lonely Planet give vastly different views of Ko Lanta - the Fodors loves it but LP says its vastly over-developed - and they say the opposite about Ko Chang, so we can't tell what to think.. We don't want Cancun or could be anywhere all-inclusives (they're fine, but not this trip) but we don't want Survivor, either. I'm reading a lot about Mrabi and Ko Lanta, but not getting a sense of place... Thoughts???

And we want some great - but accessible - snorkeling!!!

Finally, my son has a saltwater aquarium, and Bangkok has great shops -- he wants to buy standard (not endangered) creatures to bring home. Anybody have any knowledge about the custons folks on either end of our trip? The US gov't websites only prohibit rare or endangered -- and surprisingly have no established restrictions. But that does not mean the at-the-gate folks understand..

Thanks immensely for any help!

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 08:11 PM

us customs, probably not allowed...
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 08:24 PM

For travel health info, read the cdc website: www.cdc.gov/travel

Luang Prabang, Siem Reap and Koh Chang are all malarial risk areas. Consult with a travel med doc about appropriate precautions for you and your kids.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 10:00 PM

I would forget taking any fish back, really a lot of hassle all the way, even if they survive(?)

It seems you like nature but also want some beach and scenary ? My tip is to take the coastal route south along the Sunrise Coast, ( off there ourselves after lunch ). Here you will find coastlines, bays, coves, remote beaches, farmlands and plantations, local village life, temples etc.
The main south highway and also the southern rail libe goes all along the coast, you can bus or train or better still just get a car and driver from place to place.
A couple of hours by cab south from Bangkok into Hua hin and then just 30 minutes to the Sam Roi Yot National Park. This park stretches along the coast, there is birdwatching in the wetlands, temples, limestone peaks, really beautiful scenary plus long beach. You can stay in Dolphin Bay ( 30 mins past Hua Hin ) which is at the park, there are reputed Pink Dolphins in the bay and you go out by boat to see them but I have to be honest we have never been lucky enough, but it's fun anyway and your son would no doubt enjoy.
Just another hour and a half is Bang Saphan Beach area, short boat trip 10 minutes to Koh Talu Island. Koh Talu has nice a/con accommodation and you can boat around coral and rocks and snorkel. Another hour or so further is Chumphon Canaban, nice coast resort, from here there are Jet Catamarans to Koh Talu island famous for diving, snorkel and scuba, scenic island, laid back.
In all these places you can stay as budget or as luxury as you want, near Sam Roi Yot you can even spend $400 for a pool villa at the Evason, though our family budget is in the $40-50 range and we stay very comofrtable for that.
If you want to mix beach with national parks and nature, do some snorkel, easily get off the tourist trails then this should suit you.

Old Jan 1st, 2006, 04:18 PM

You mentioned a fear of flying into Hat Yai. I've been debating the same thing. However, I've been researching this a lot and it sounds quite quick and easy to take a mini-van from Trang (which you can fly into directly or take a van from Krabi or Phuket) to Pak Bara where the boats leave for Ko Bulon Leh and Koh Lipe.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.. And further question?

We will be visitinga travel doc for proper preparations, Kathie.

JamesA, thanks for the Gulf coast ideas -- we will investigate further... we had thought the weather was not as good on that side of the peninsula, in February -- at we off on that? Have you taken the train in these areas? We are getting tiired of airports, but venturing further along the trail you lay out, does a train sound suitable?

LA Fadeaway - thought about Trang -- lonely planet makes a dark inuendo about "landing problems during rain". Any word on what they mean -- one time crash , or regular problems?

We still would like to see between Krabi and Ko Tarutao... Ko Lipe sounds good but it is a long way out... how long does it take?

Happy New Year! Thanks to all -- Please keep those ideas coming?!

by the way, we have checked with custons and fish and wildlife, and it is surprisingly easy to do, so we just need to determine the practicalities...
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 12:27 PM

I have no clue what they are talking about with the landing problems. Sounds sketchy! The LP book says it takes about 2 - 2.5 hours to Koh Lipe by boat from Pak Bara. I'm hoping to go in April. It just looks so beautiful there! Check out these pictures that someone on the ThornTree took: http://jmt.pon.net/album/view.asp?fo...amp;view=event