Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Fairmont Singapore (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/fairmont-singapore-860434/)

mcbg1 Sep 23rd, 2010 05:54 AM

Fairmont Singapore

I am looking for a hotel for my visit to Singapore in November and I was wondering if anybody here had stayed at the Fairmont Singapore? I can get a REALLY good rate but before I book I want to make sure it is well located and that I will have a nice stay there.

Kathie Sep 23rd, 2010 06:36 AM

It's my favoriet Singapore hotel. Great location, great rooms, great service. If you can get a deal - grab it!

mcbg1 Sep 23rd, 2010 06:38 AM

Thanks! Booked it before I even read your reply as I couldn't pass up that deal. 159 SGD per night for a Fairmont room. The only catch is that there were only rooms with two double beds available but I can deal with that. :)

Kathie Sep 23rd, 2010 06:40 AM

What a fabulous rate! It makes me want to do a sidetrip to Singapore!

Smeagol Sep 23rd, 2010 07:00 AM

wow you are a master at getting good rates, where did you find those?

mcbg1 Sep 23rd, 2010 07:19 AM

Well, Fairmont used to have a Family & Friends promotion that anybody could book online. They have since changed that promotion and to get that special rate, you need to have a Fairmont employee book manually for you. A few Fairmont employees have started a group on Facebook to book for everyone. You just have to join the group, give them your dates and if there are rooms available at the Family and Friends rate, they will book for you.

I got the Fairmont Singapore for 159 SGD per night, but if I had booked directly with the hotel at their best available rate, I would have paid 394 SGD per night!!!

mcbg1 Sep 23rd, 2010 07:19 AM

Best of all, the Family & Friends rate doesn't require a deposit and it is cancellable up to 1 day before arrival. :)

rhkkmk Sep 23rd, 2010 07:59 AM

that's great. you can't beat family and friends rates at most chains... you just have to know how to aquire them

Guenmai Sep 23rd, 2010 09:55 PM

I love the Fairmont. Stayed there in November 2009 and also stayed there when it was the Raffles Plaza. When it was the Raffles Plaza I was the first guest in one of the newly renovated rooms. They upgraded me to try it out. That hotel has the most comfortable beds, outside of the Four Seasons San Francisco, that I've ever slept in. I didn't want to get out of bed. Happy Travels!

rivet Oct 24th, 2010 07:23 PM

Wow mcb, I have been trying to get the F and F rate at the Fairmont for 3 months for my November stay. All this time it has been blacked out on the Monday night of our 2 night stay, which indicated that the hotel thought they could sell out to business travelers. Consequently no cheap rates for that one night.

We settled then for the Swissotel but now with your news I will try again at the Fairmont and see it it is available for both our dates. Either way F and F is a great deal!

Cicerone Oct 24th, 2010 09:36 PM

The Fairmont employees are offering strangers discounted rates out of the goodness of their hearts? Or do you have to pay a surcharge to them to get the rate? Do you have to give them credit card details to book the room (that is usually required). Do you have the facebook link?

Chads Oct 25th, 2010 01:35 AM

I would choose the St Regis over Fairmont or the Ritz Carlton

mcbg1 Oct 25th, 2010 05:33 AM

Cicerone, nobody does anything out of goodness. The Fairmont employees get credits for free stays by refering their 'friends'. ;)

mcbg1 Oct 25th, 2010 05:35 AM

And yes, you have to give them your credit card details. I don't think I can post the Facebook link publicly but I can send it to you if you email me: [email protected]

rivet Oct 25th, 2010 07:23 PM

I checked for my dates at the Fairmont, still no availability for one of the nights. Have a confirmed room at the Swisotel, so hope it is ok.

I thought that deal for the Fairmont employees earning credits for F and F recommendations ended in April? That is my information, anyway.