Faces & places in Japan, Bali, and Hong Kong

Sep 10th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

I posted a few pictures on my website. Please take a look: http://www.billk.org
Sep 11th, 2004, 05:20 AM
emd

Very very nice. You captured the hapiness in the Japanese children. The Ubud festival looks amazing. And now we know what Putu looks like. This was nice to wake up to, esp. on this particular morning.
Sep 11th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Gmorning. Supposed to be sunny.
Sep 11th, 2004, 12:33 PM

Great to see our buddy, Putu.
Sep 12th, 2004, 10:32 PM

wow, great pics. so you went all the way down to kagoshima. did you eat any kuro buta? very famous. great pic of the street scene in takayama. hope to go to that area in the next two years. the pic of hida no sato looks like the national treasure homes in shirakawago.

did you stay overnite in hakodate? next time you go there, let me know and i will rec. a great minshiku.

i hope you won at the race track in hk. a friend mine has a condo overlooking the track, however, was never there when the horses were running.

1-1.
Sep 13th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. The Japan pics are from three different trips. In May, 2002, because of the World Cup the intra-Japan tourist fares were half price. I am not a soccer fan but I took advantage of the offer and flew from Haneda to Kagoshima and then a bus from that airport to Ibusuki. Then train back to Kagoshima where I was helped by the retired English teacher that I photographed. I stopped in Kumamoto instead of Kagoshima and from there went to Beppu and Fukuoka. From Fukuoka I flew to Sendai and made a few stops in Tohoku. Each of those flights cost about US $50.

I won some at Happy Valley. Had no trouble picking winners at Macau and when I accidentally bet 500 MOP on a horse (instead of 50 MOP, ~$6) I decided to not try and get the bet cancelled. The horse won at 20-1 odds. Had only one winner at Sha Tin. Net cost of the trip was about $300, thanks to Macau Jockey Club.

We have a win already? Musta been Rutgers.
Sep 13th, 2004, 05:55 PM

did you know ahead of time that the intra jp fares would be discounted during the world cup, or did you just luck out? you certainly got your moneys worth, especially going from fukuoka to sendai. did you get a chance to go to matsushima? i think its very beautiful.

they beat akron, but then lost to bc. had a quarter on the lions. rut beat mich. state, then lost to new hamp!!

Sep 13th, 2004, 05:56 PM
emd

mrwunrfl, you are one lucky fella.
Sep 13th, 2004, 06:20 PM

yeah!! forgot to mention it. what luck. don't know anything about betting on horses, but i do know a 20-1 payoff is fantastic. i've got enough vices right now, don't need to add horse racing to the list. maybe i can give up ballrooom dancing for horse racing, hhhmmmmm.
Sep 13th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

It was skill, not luck at the MJC! It was luck on the World Cup airfares. I had booked the trip to Tokyo at the beginning of March and learned about the WC fares later. The r.t. ticket on the ANA nonstops from/to Dulles was only $622 so I jumped on it. I also lucked out because I unknowingly planned it so that I was leaving Japan just as the bulk of the soccer fans were starting to arrive.

I did visit Matsushima and agree that it is beautiful.
Sep 14th, 2004, 12:26 PM
emd

would never question your horse picking skill... i meant it was lucky to bet an amount you did not intend to bet (500 instead of 50) and then win 20-1 on it. that was luck, non?
Sep 14th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

oui, merci, you are very kind, emd.

emd, I took a couple of shots onboard a train for you to give you an idea of what the seats and storage are like. I just posted the shots at www.billk.org

Anybody who can read Japanese? Please see the picture of the two horse statues at the bottom right of the webpage at www.billk.org and tell me what it says. I was sitting on the bench and some Japanese pointed at the sign, chuckled, and I THINK they said something about the maiden mare named Haru Urara.
Sep 15th, 2004, 10:03 AM

mrwunrfl: Those are helpful pictures of the luggage compartment on the train. It is pretty limited, just as your posts have said. I think we can put a daypack in the overhead and fit our small luggage pieces at the end of the comaprtment as some have suggested and as your picture shows, or else hopefully be lucky enough to have the seat next to us vacant and use the seat space.
The toilet picture is very funny. I may print it out and put it up in our bathroom for instructional purposes.
Sep 15th, 2004, 01:08 PM

Great photos. I like especially the street in Takayama.

> horse statues at the bottom ...
It simply says the horse's name "Ha-ru- u-ra-ra".
Sep 15th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

OMG! emd, you just made me realize that the smudge mark on the stick-person on the left was not a random, accidental mark.

I put another copy of the image on the website. If you take a look at that then you will see the almost horizontal mark that was scratched into the sign at the left stickperson's waist.

The problem on the shinkansen was, of course, that people would put their feet where their cheeks were supposed to go (if they lowered the lid at all).
Sep 15th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the translation, kappa.
Sep 15th, 2004, 04:12 PM
emd

hehe. My son and I thought that that mark was probably what prompted you to take the photo. The Japanese have a sense of humor too. My son was rolling on the floor.
Sep 25th, 2004, 12:14 PM
emd

mrwunrfl, on the photo you took of the space in front of your seat, I see what appears to be a menu card in the mesh pocket on the back of the seat in front of you. Do they serve food on the trains? I've never seen any info about that and it would be good to know if one gets in a position of getting on a train without having eaten already...
Sep 25th, 2004, 02:59 PM

emd;

i have been on a shinkansen that had a snack car where you could get a lite snack, and drinks. also, they have a snack cart that comes down the aisle with snacks, beer, etc.

another choice is to try the ekiben. its the bento(box lunch) that are sold at the train stops in the different towns. most of the bentos are food special to that area. you should have enough time to get off the train, buy the ekiben, then board the train before it leaves.i love the ekibens.

sounds like your trip is really taking shape. don't forget to post your final itinerary, as i might take a trip similar to your route next year.
Sep 25th, 2004, 04:07 PM

There are carts that are wheeled through the train...obento, tea, coffee, chips, candy, juice, beer, sake, sandwiches, ice cream...they are all sold. You can also pick up food right in the station before you board the train. I wouldn't recommend getting off of a train at any stop to buy food as the stops are only long enough to allow passengers to deboard and board...maybe a minute or two...not enough time to buy anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO