Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Face restaurant review & directions (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/face-restaurant-review-and-directions-564643/)

divediva Oct 14th, 2005 09:13 PM

Face restaurant review & directions

my daughter and i had dinner at the thai restaurant Face on Thursday nite. we were staying at the asia hotel so it very easy to get on the BTS sukhumvit line and get off
at Thong Lo station. exit at exit 4...walk down the stairs to the street and turn right to go under the skytrain stairs and you will be on soi 38. there are no signs that say soi 38 but many buildings have a big 38 painted above their business signs.
turn left...walk about 10 minutes past small businesses, large residential estates...down a small street and look for the FACE logo and tiki torches...

what a beautiful place...it was sprinkling rain when we arrived...and we were greeted with an umbrella. there are many stairs with no hand rails and it was slippery. we did not make reservations but arrived early 6:30pm and there were only 2 other couples.

the architecture is northern thai lanna...it tooks like it could house a temple ...all teak...hand carved sculptures and the womens bathroom was quite interesting.

we ordered massaman curry, pineapple fried rice, phat thai, an appetizer of leaves, lime, coconut, ginger, peanuts, onions, chilis and sweet and sour paste...absolutely beautiful presentation and the food was fantastic. total with 2 rounds of sprite $1400 bht plus tip.

when we return to bangkok the first week of november, we will dine at the indian restaurant at FACE...

oh, and Bob...i almost missed the bakery too..you access it from the street right before the entrance gates...yummy....

we are hanoi right now and i begin do a trip report of bkk and vietnam soon...

a hui ho
kai

Craig Oct 15th, 2005 02:56 AM

Thanks for the directions. I've printed them out and will use them when we are in Bangkok in February. We are going to try and hit both the Indian and Thai restaurants while we are there.

simpsonc510 Oct 15th, 2005 05:09 AM

kai
Glad you enjoyed Face. It really is an excellent Thai restaurant. I think it was my son who first mentioned it, and I passed the name onto all of my fodorite friends. Son travels a lot with Thai friends, and he certainly does discover some interesting places.
Carol

rhkkmk Oct 15th, 2005 05:57 AM

dive---glad you liked it...you will even more pleased with the indian food...

also glad to be reminded of how far down soi 38 that it is...thought it was quite a ways and you have confirmed it...i will always take a taxi then in the future even if i arrive by skytrain...i hate to arrive for a meal all sweatty...its bkk....

did you buy something in the bakery? i hear it is very good stuff...

i just had our taxi drive slowly as we were looking for it the first time and we saw that face sign, so thought this must be the place...it was day so it was easier...

Kathie Oct 15th, 2005 07:31 PM

Thanks for the review! I was concerned that the Thai menu didn't look as good as the Indian, but it sounds like you had a fine meal, including my favorite appetiser. I look forward to your review of an Indian dinner there!

divediva Oct 16th, 2005 02:11 AM

aloha everyone...

i am looking forward to the indian restaurant and the bakery next month.

bob...it really is about 10 - 15 minute walk

i am in hanoi and thÝ computer kŠps
switching to vietnamese symbols..apologize

Bella_Bluebell Oct 16th, 2005 05:48 AM

Great review, thanks - we will add it to our list of definites I think and thanks for directions, good to know that we can walk there from the skytrain stop

divediva Oct 16th, 2005 04:18 PM

I am Divediva's daughter, and I have to make one little correction. The walk to face is only about 3 to 5 minutes, very easy to get back and forth from the skytrain station. (almost 5 months pregnant and the walk was cake!)

I was happy they had a completely seperate vegetarian menu. Great meal... Definitly looking forward to the Indian Restaurant upon our return.

Rachel