Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Fabulous restaurants in KL? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/fabulous-restaurants-in-kl-478455/)

Kathie Oct 4th, 2004 07:09 PM

Fabulous restaurants in KL?

I'm looking for recommendations for some really fabulous restaurants in KL. All suggestions are welcomed.

Jenner, I know you lived there for a while, so I'm hoping you'll have some suggestions.

Walter_Walltotti Oct 5th, 2004 08:47 AM

Lafite at the Shangri La hotel is generally considered to be the best french restaurant / best restaurant in the city. Refurbed about 2 years ago, the food is superb.

They do an excellent 9 course menu degustation for bargain prices (by western standards) - Wine will, however, push prices up significantly

rhkkmk Oct 5th, 2004 08:01 PM

K/L has changed so much that what was there a year ago in a small building is now a 30 story skyscraper...having said that, one of the best meals we had was at a small restaurant in an old colonial house called Bon Ton...they also have a restaurant on langkawi....i think you would like it if it still exists....sorry kathie i don't know the address but it was not far from the P-Towers....
where are you staying? in which "towers"??--that's a joke...

just outside town there is a pewter factory which has a fabulous store attached....it is called Sengalor or some similar spelling...worth a visit by cab....have the cab wait as we had trouble getting one back to town...

we found K/L not all that exciting...how it has changed in the last couple of years....it has grown that i know...you will have great pictures of that i am sure!!!

where else are you going?

bob

Kathie Oct 6th, 2004 07:37 AM

Thanks, Walter, for the recommendtaion of Lafite. That sounds like a must.

And thanks, Bob, for the Bon Ton recommendation. I will check on it when I get there.

I haven't been to KL for many years, so I really need some new recommendations. We're staying at the Ritz Carlton, and got a suite for US$126 a night. That includes room service breakfast.

This trip we'll spend a little time in Singapore and KL. The bulk of the trip is to Lombok, where we'll be staying in a lovely thatched roof bungalow on the beach. There are a number of craft villages I want to revisit there, and I want time to relax! I will, of course give a full report and we'll post photos on the website. We leave on November 11 and will be back in early December.

rhkkmk Oct 6th, 2004 08:42 AM

kathie...all sounds great...look forward to pics and report..

bob

Kathie Oct 7th, 2004 06:02 PM

I'm topping this in hopes of some more suggestions.

rhkkmk Oct 7th, 2004 06:04 PM

kathie---you know K/L there probably aren't that many great great choices...

Kathie Oct 7th, 2004 06:43 PM

Now, now, Bob, I'm hoping KL has gotten more interesting. I did make some fabulous purchases my last stay in KL, probably 7 years ago. KL certainly has more luxury hotel options than it had then, and I would expect it has more restaurants as well.

rhkkmk Oct 7th, 2004 07:08 PM

what kind of things did you buy?...we didn't find too much...

Kathie Oct 8th, 2004 07:33 AM

Purchases from KL that I still remember after 7 years: a fabulous carved stone head, Khmer style that was 50-75 years old; antique Xixing teapots; custom made bathrobes out of wonderful, intricate batik fabrics; Selangor pewter... I know I bought more than that, but if after all this time I can remember these things the shopping was very good.

rhkkmk Oct 8th, 2004 07:34 PM

thanks kathie...we also bought sengalor ...did you go out to the factory store?? it is well worth the taxi ride---keep the taxi for your visit time...

Tangata Oct 11th, 2004 09:30 PM

Kathie,

When we lived in Kuala Lumpur for a few months in 2000, we used to frequent the Maharaja Restaurant. If you like Indian Food, it is well worth a visit.

I'm sorry I can't recall the address, but it was it was in a lovely old house close to the US Embassy.

Overall, we didn't find KL cuisine very exciting.

Fenno Oct 12th, 2004 06:15 PM

Kathie, I used to live in KL too, up until a year ago. Am at present in Delhi, but when I get back home to Shanghai, will give you some suggestions. My memory does not serve me well unfortunately!

Kathie Oct 13th, 2004 06:52 AM

Fenno, I will look forward to our suggestions. And Tangata thanks for an Indian restaurant recommendation.

MichaelHD Oct 13th, 2004 06:32 PM

Well, places I've enjoyed are:

Carcosa - A beautiful old colonial house turned hotel. They do a fab afternoon tea & is highly recommended.

Tamarind Hill - Great Indochinese food in a lovely old building.

Scalinis - Italian food. V. nice.

Pregos at the Westin hotel. Fab food & a great atmosphere.

Fenno Dec 2nd, 2004 04:00 AM

Sorry Kathie, I haven't had a chance to get back into this website for weeks and now you will have been and done KL already. I hope you had fun. the food in KL is fabulous, but I must admit that a lot of my favourite meals have been at hawker type places which may not have suited. The beauty of KL is that you can eat anywhere and it will be quite safe.
Look forward to hearing all about it.