Experts on Asia Connections?

Old Sep 25th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experts on Asia Connections?

Going from EWR (or PHL) to BKK....what is the fastest way to go with least connections?
So far I saw we can go SQ from EWR to SIN and then to BKK...is that fastest?
Also saw we can go EWR or PHL to London to BKK...I think Thai Airways?
Other suggestions? We are actually in PHL which is a 1 1/2 hour drive to EWR so I am trying the factor the drive in as well. Quickest is the question.
Any ideas?? THANKS!!! as always
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 01:35 PM

Donna, why don't you do a search on one of the travel sites - Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity - all of them will rank your flight choices by total time. Then you can evaluate which is your preferred airline. From my experience you can get to BKK via NRT (Tokyo), SIN and HKG going west and via Munich, London or Paris going east.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Scheduled time from EWR to BKK on BA with a stop in London is 20.5 hours including connection time. From JFK is 19.5 hours.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone....I did do the Orbitz/Travelocity but they don't do all of the airlines....so you can't always tell I've found.
I did see the PHL/London (on BA) to BKK route and was surprised that it was closer to go around that way! But then again, on our non stop from EWR to SIN I was surprised to watch us fly in that direction....for some reason I thought we would head west. I wondered how the non stop LAX - SIN flight was actually a bit LONGER than the one from EWR to SIN.
Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 07:00 PM

You're catching the tailwind flying eastwards. That's why it's faster going through Europe, and same reason SQ's EWR-SIN fly over Europe. It's not shorter, but it's faster.

And the reason SQ is not the fastest connection is that Singapore is quite a bit south of BKK, so you're actually backtracking to BKK.
Old Sep 25th, 2004, 07:18 PM

And that also means coming back, it's faster to fly across the Pacific, even if it means 2 stops to get to PHL.

Plus, you'll find a significant difference in the cost of the ticket. When I plug some random dates for going in late October, UA has fares from $827 (via Pacific). Cheapest fare via the Atlantic is Air France for $1,211, and the faster BA connection is $1,415.