Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Excelsior or Sheraton Towers in Hong Kong

Jul 13th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Going to HK for the first time - working there for 10 days at the Bank of China Tower

Staying 5 nights at the JW Marriott in Central (the last half of my stay) that I got for 130USD/night through priceline

For the first 5 nights, JW has rates too high for my liking - seems that of the other options, the best are either the Sheraton Towers in TST, or Excelsior in Causaway Bay...strong feelings one way or the other?

Is the commute to Central easier or harder from either? Nightlife better in TST? Should I stay in TST to get that experience too?

Any other hotels under USD175/night including Taxes that I should consider?
Jul 13th, 2005, 11:28 AM

I'd vote for the Sheraton in TST, which is my favorite area to stay. It's a short stroll to the Star Ferry.
Jul 13th, 2005, 11:38 AM

I agree with kathie that the Sheraton is the better choice both as a hotel and in terms of location.
Jul 13th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Would the Sheraton be THE recommendation at my price point?
Or is it merely the better of the two options I listed?
Jul 13th, 2005, 01:48 PM

A lot of people are getting the Sheraton by bidding 5* on Priceline in the Tsimshatsui area for about $100. For that price, it's really the best deal you can get.

I don't know what kind of prices you're getting for the Excelsior. Or if you're not doing Priceline, what rates you're getting for the Sheraton.
Jul 13th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

I was going to Priceline Sheraton - Money is no issue as long as its below 175/night (company paying) - Excelsior is around 150/night I am finding - Basically, I want the best place I can for my price - once I decide on location, I will get the best price available.

Will Sheraton stick me in a crappy room because I booked with Priceline?
Jul 13th, 2005, 02:11 PM

Well, if the only criteria is <$175, then you may be able to get something better than the Sheraton. Hotel prices in Hong Kong vary a lot depending on your exact dates, so it's hard to say if you can get other hotels, and what other hotels, at that price.

Maybe you can search for a hotel for your specific dates, and give us names for what hotels are available. But I won't take the Excelsior over the Sheraton.
Jul 13th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Looks like the following might be available in my price range

Langham
Sheraton
Hyatt Regency
Intercontinental Grand Stanford
Royal Garden
Langham Place
Harbor Plaza
Marco Polo
Marco Polo Prince
Le Meridien Cyberport
Regal Hong Kong
Excelsior
Park Lane
Renaissance Harbor View

There may be others, but this is a start

Jul 13th, 2005, 02:29 PM

you can also check out reviews of these hotels at the following websites:

www.tripadvisor.com
www.asiahotels.com

Jul 13th, 2005, 04:38 PM

I think the only ones I'll consider over the Sheratons are:

- IC Grand Standford. It just received a total remodelling. It was the Holiday Inn Harbour View, then Crowne Plaza, not upgraded to IC. With harborview. Problem is its location in Tsimshatsui-East, not close to the MTR or the major shopping/dining area. It does have a fast ferry service almost right outside its door to Central.

- Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel. It's right at the Star Ferry, on top of the Harbour City shopping center. Nice spacious room. Longer walk to MTR than Sheraton but closer to Star Ferry. The harbor view is more to the West than straight south like the Sheraton.

- Langham Place. It's a very modern, brand new hotel in Mongkok. Beautiful high-tech room, and great views that's a little different from the standard "harbor views". Area around is "interesting" - close to night markets, as well as "massage parlors", "saunas" or "karaokes" that are actually brothels. If you want something "different" and like to experience a different side of Hong Kong from the JW Marriott, try this.
Jul 13th, 2005, 04:42 PM

Also want to add that while the Sheraton is just one buildling, it has "Tower Rooms" and regular rooms. I believe the Tower rooms are on the higher floors, and may be better appointed. They also cost more.