Everything I Want to Know About Kyoto?

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything I Want to Know About Kyoto?

OK, the call of the East. I have decided that the next big trip will be back to Japan instead of Europe. I would like to settle in Kyoto for a couple of weeks, probably in late October and early November. Can you please help in suggesting a ryokan, a neighborhood and special things I should be looking for. I've been to Kyoto once before but only saw the "must see" places on a tour. This time I am looking for a more in depth view. What is the weather like in November?
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:46 PM

Weather should be nice. Mid-November is peak fall color in Kyoto.

The following info is from the fodors.com webpage on the Kaburenjo Theater.

At the Kamo-gawa Odori in October, geisha and maiko dances and songs pay tribute to the seasonal splendor of autumn. The stage settings are spectacular. Tickets to performances at the Gion Kaburenjo Theater cost ¥1,900, ¥3,800, and ¥4,300.
---
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:57 PM

Here is a webpage about the performance.
http://tinyurl.com/37abb6
The term "geiko" is the Kyoto word for "geisha" (a Tokyo variation of the word).

That page mentions the May performances. fodors said the Kamogawa Odori was in May and October. You'll find a lot more info about Kyoto at the other links on that page.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 11:56 PM
emd

There is a poster on here, Florence, who has stayed for wks at time in Kyoto over the years. Hopefully she will chime in, as I think it would be very different to have several weeks there instead of a few days or a week.

I don't know if any of the ryokan will give a long term rate. But there is a Japanese style machiya on VRBO that I have always had my eye on. It looks to be in a nice neighborhood. IT is the 1st one listed on the list for Kyoto (Imperial Palace House). There is also a very well-priced modern apt. on there for weekly rentals.

I would get my hands on a copy of Judith Clancey's book "Kyoto: Exploring the Ancient Capitol on Foot." Excellent, in-depth, well-written walking guide. You could spend weeks on the wonderful walks (not just the standard stuff, but some less traveled and more out of the way places also) in that book. She gives a lot of history and interesting info but it is very readable.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

What is VRBO?
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

OK, slightly on the stupid side today ... but I have discovered the VRBO site and several of the houses look wonderful. I am now down to early November, renting a house, have sent away for the Judith Clancey book (at $80 some odd dollars) and seeing a sumo match in Fukuoka. Any other advice, suggestions? I am a sake addict by the way.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 02:45 PM
emd

The book is about $15...

Check out the chapter in her book on Fushimi and the sake warehouse district close to there (just south of Kyoto, a few train stops out of Kyoto station).