Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Ever notice that almost all people working in Thailand hotels are under 30?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Tom

We just returned from 3 weeks in Thailand and noticed that almost everyone at all 8 hotels we stayed at were under 30. Every hotel check out was over staffed (by American standards), 5-8 young pretty Thai girls waiting behind the counter waiting for the next customer. Rarely were they talking to each other, just standing there. Very quiet people. But the main thing we noticed was the lack of anyone over 30 working in public contact jobs.<BR><BR>I asked the tour guides and they said if you are over 40 it is nearly impossible to get a job in Thailand. Help wanted ads ask for a certain age usually 20-25 years old. Crazy to this 47 year old.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 10:49 PM
wayne

In developing countries the population pyramid is that of a wide base, which means huge young population working to support the few old aged. Isn't that wonderful for a goverment's budget?

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Craig

I agree with the poster above re: the population pyramid. However, I think if you look around the US you would see that most hotel check outs employ young people as well.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Al

As an old Far East hand, please let me shed some light on your question. The Thais, as you probably discovered, are a highly entrepreneurial people. That is, it is a nation of small businesses. In order to save enough money to open one's own shop or factory or bureau, one must start at the bottom (unless one inherits a business). Once enough money is at hand, off they go on their own. Our own tour guide told us that she dreamed to open a book shop, and she was saving every dollar she could get her hands on in order to provide for her own future.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Hank

I think it is a issue of age discrimination. THe businesses in Thailand think only people who are young and pretty can sell things to the public. It is very tough for older Thai workers unless you did save for your own store.<BR><BR>