Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Estimating Meal Expenses (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/estimating-meal-expenses-570954/)

BigBlue Nov 14th, 2005 04:47 PM

Estimating Meal Expenses

When we plan any trip it is always useful to have a general idea of how much we will be paying for meals. Most places we've got a reasonable handle but Rajasthan and Delhi are completely outside my ken.

We'll be staying at three Trident Hiltons, The Grand Intercontinental in Delhi, the Samode Palace, Kuchaman Fort, and the Raddison in Delhi. Breakfast is included in each place.

We typically would take dinner where we're staying and typically would split a bottle of mid-price wine. Can someone give me some general guidelines as to what to expect to pay for dinner based on the above venues, please?

Also, we'll likely be traveling with Cox and Kings in a private car and would appreciate some general cost guidelines for the types of lunches such travel would have us eating. We are not interested in big meals in the middle of the day.

It would be helpful if we could simply get some feel for what kind of cash outlay to expect.

Many thanks,
BigBlue

BigBlue Nov 15th, 2005 02:27 PM

ttt

Craig Nov 15th, 2005 03:04 PM

Wine will definitely cost you in India. Beer goes much better with Indian food and is cheaper. A mid-priced bottle of wine might be $40 while beer is $1 a bottle. We didn't find hotel dining to be particularly inexpensive. If you eat vegetarian and split portions, you can eat fairly inexpensively though. Meat meals cost twice as much as vegetarian meals. If you don't split portions, figure on $10-15 or more for vegetarian pp, $20-30 or more for meat pp plus wine plus tip/service. The places you stop at between destinations are modest and very inexpensive. I hope this helps.

agtoau Nov 15th, 2005 03:20 PM

As Craig has indicated, dining in India outside of the 5-star hotels is very inexpensive (for the dollar equipped). You do not have to confine yourself to 5-star hotel cuisine to eat well and safely in India, but you will have to do your homework in advance and go armed with the recommended list of restaurants in the cities you will be visiting.

Even in a place like Delhi you should be able to have a hearty meal for under $5 (without alcoholic drinks).

Bonita Nov 16th, 2005 07:26 AM

hi there! GREETINGS FROM DELHI..Dining in India is relatively very inexpensive, especially outside the five stars. For example tonight IN dELHI i ordered food from a local chinese resturant to my small guesthouse and the cost was roughly 300 rupees, abut $6 dollars and I ordered ALOT AND I AM STUFFED! VEg spring rolls, chilly chicken and veg fried rice.oh, and veg hot and sour soup. SO YES, At A GOOD SAFE AND CLEAN LOCAL resturaunt you can eat well for $5-7 dollars without drinks..The cost in the five stars is relatively very very expensive for INDIAN STANDARDs, BUT still inexpensive by International standards. all relative..A good meal in a five star can be about $15-20 per person before wine, so about double, and that is alot! in genral, wine is very very costly in INDIA and in the hotels in INDIA at its peak! your best bet for the most economical wine on menu is to order the INDIAN WINE, as the foreign wines are exorbitantly priced..IF indian wine is not on the menu ask if there are any in the house! The best INDIAN wine these days is Sula wine, from the vineyards of NASHIK, WHICH is in the state of MAHARASTRA. other PASSABLE indian wines are Grover, chantilly and Riviera. The cost of these wines are about $10 bottle in the liquer store, (CALLED ENGLISH WINE SHOP, in INDIA), and remeber $10 is alot for a bottle of wine for most people in INDIA. iN THE hotels the INDIAN WINES WILL GO FOR double or triple! u can go in a Delhi english wine shop and stock up on INDIAN WINES if you are intersted..mY favorte wine shop is in KHAN MARKET, good selection of all INDIAN WINES! aND of course, beer is much less expensive. My favorite Indian beer is KINGFISHER, FOLLOWED by royal challange, and Taj MAHAL..HAPPY TRAVELS. namaste bonita

lilypoo Nov 16th, 2005 11:02 PM

Bonita. I will be going to Delhi, Agra, Jaipur and Udaipur in March. Can you recommend some nice restaurants in these areas that are not too expensive? Any info would be greatly appreciated.