Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Entry to Thailand (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/entry-to-thailand-630002/)

ondine Jul 10th, 2006 10:18 PM

Entry to Thailand

I'm in Tokyo and I don't speak Japanese and I'm having problems getting thru to anyone at the Thai embassy.

I have checked out the Thai visa site.

Could someone confirm:

1. As a person from the list of 40 countries (Canada) I don't need a visa at all now to enter Thailand for a wkd

2. If they will block my entry if I don't have proof of vaccinations and if I will not allow the border doctor to vaccinate me (there's NO way I would ever do that...with all the drugging of tourists I hear about).

I haven't gotten any vaccinations (i know , i know, risky)

ondine Jul 10th, 2006 10:25 PM

Someone who has been to Thailand this year or since last October...the visa exemption they seemed to say was from then but just prefer to confirm! I know visas can be issued at border but just want to know what to anticipate...muchos gracias

Bella_Bluebell Jul 11th, 2006 01:22 AM

You should look at the Thai Embassy site for your own country (from where you have your passport) rather than the one you are coming from. This is the information you are looking for from the Thai Embassy in Canada site: http://www.magma.ca/~thaiott/visa3.htm

Re. vaccinations - are you coming from/have visited a yellow fever area? If so, you will not be given entry without proof of vaccination. As regards vaccinations for things like typhoid, Hep A etc - if you haven't had those then that is your risk as you can contract these diseases in Thailand. The Thai authorities are only concerend about whether you have had vaccinations or not if you pose a risk to the Thai people by bringing in a disease that is not prevalent or existing in Thailand, such as yellow fever.

ondine Jul 11th, 2006 03:27 AM

you're a life saver with that letter link..thank u bella!!

Kathie Jul 11th, 2006 05:49 AM

Citizens from many countries (including the US and Canada) enter Thailand on a visa-free basis. You'll get a stamp at the border or airport, but there is no visa needed. You can stay up to 30 days with that stamp.

As Bella says, the vaccination requirement is only for those entering from a Yellow Fever country.

pebbles13 Jul 11th, 2006 06:32 AM

With that stamp, can you exit and reenter Thailand (within the 30 days) without having to get a new one?

Kathie Jul 11th, 2006 06:46 AM

No, you must get a new stamp good for 30 days each time you enter Thailand.

rhkkmk Jul 11th, 2006 07:38 AM

they remove the visa/paper when you leave the country from your passport..

"drugging"---there is an occasional drug case, ususally involving the sex industry, but if you are the normal tourist you will not "find" trouble unless you go looking for it...

entering thailand is no different than entering the usa or canada for a visit of 30 days or less---piece of cake....all you need is your passport and in some cases an on-going ticket to leave the country...

Bella_Bluebell Jul 11th, 2006 07:38 AM

You'll get the stamp automatically - it isn't a problem to exit and re-enter on the same day even. Plenty of people renew their 30 day visas in this way time and time again.

Kathie Jul 11th, 2006 08:08 AM

What Bob is referring to is your departure card. You fill out a multi-part card, the arrival card is kept when you enter the country, your departure card is removed when you leave the country. You don't get a visa.

pebbles13 Jul 11th, 2006 08:37 AM

Okay, I think I got it. Thanks!

rhkkmk Jul 11th, 2006 09:56 AM

kathie--i read recently that in fact that card is a tourist visa....not sure if this is true, but i know it is very impt that you keep it...

Kathie Jul 11th, 2006 10:00 AM

Bob, the card is not a tourist visa. A visa means something very specific; the card is simply an arrival and departure caed. Many countries have them (and you can be in trouble if you lose it - which is why they staple it in your passport in Bangkok).

A tourist visa for Thailand, for 60 days is available, but you must pre-apply a receive it from the embassy in your country or another country along the way. I don't know what they costs now. Back in the "old days" you had to have a tourist visa for stays of more than 14 days, so I actually have an old one in an old passport.

a1florist Jul 12th, 2006 09:05 AM

I'm in Los Angeles, California, going to Pattaya in 2008 for 60 days. I know for a fact that the Thai Embassy here requires a fee of US$ 25.00 for a visa to stay any longer than 30 days. If I thought I could exit somewhere nearby Pattaya and reenter freely I'd do that instead of paying the US$ 25.00 fee here?

Kathie Jul 12th, 2006 11:10 AM

You certainly can stay for 30 days, then leave and re-enter Thailand. Many people do it. Just make sure you don't overstay your 30 days. If you don't want to make a brief trip somewhere, just pay the $25 for the 60 day visa. That way you won't have to worry about it.

rhkkmk Jul 12th, 2006 07:52 PM

any travel agent in phuket will arrange a one day over the border trip for you but i will cost something, so why not pay the $25 just to have it finished...it would take a whole day to do the trip, probably to cambodia...