Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

english-speaking asian in asia - ALONE! - WHERE TO GO?!?

Sep 29th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

I am a young (early 20s), slightly built Australian-Asian girl. (Adopted from Asia as a baby by an Australian family). My family will be in Thailand and Laos in January, and then I have the option of staying on by myself (for about 4-5 extra weeks). I am well travelled with my family, and have also travelled around Western Europe solo. Places I have already been to in Asia are Cambodia, Vietnam, Singapore, HK, South Korea.

So: questions -

1) safety is my biggest concern. I am apprehensive about travelling around Asia by myself (being Asian in appearance, small, young, female, and alone). I have read a lot of comments about single females getting unwanted attention. Would it be safe?

2) Where should I go????? I am already worried about travelling by myself, so if I did go somewhere I would want it to be a well beaten tourist track. I will have about $4000 Australian dollars (this will include any internal travel, food, accomodation, spending money but not include flight to and from Australia)

Any help is greatly appreciated and I am open to any suggestions!

thanks

cookiescompanion
Sep 30th, 2007, 07:17 AM

Japan would be nice.
Sep 30th, 2007, 07:49 AM

Certainly Japan would be an option. Also, think about various parts of Malaysia as well as Bali. I consider all of these areas to be appropriate and safe for a single female traveler.

Do a bit of reading and see what appeals to you.
Sep 30th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I have considered Japan, but am worried about $, though it is still on the cards.

Anyone else got any suggestions?
Sep 30th, 2007, 07:37 PM

There's an American woman with similar age and background as you who has been posting in this forum while she is traveling the world solo. Her blog is www.ususbaby.com. Maybe she can give you some suggestions - and inspiration!

In fact, when I just checked her blog to get the URL for you, it appears that she's in Australia now!
Sep 30th, 2007, 07:57 PM

my tiny asian looking daughter in her early 20's traveled alone in Thailand and felt safe.

Japan is the safest of all, IMO. It is still a country where young children ride the train by themselves to school in Tokyo. I have never felt the slightest fear in Japna, even by myself late at night.

You can travel on a budget...just plan on staying at youth hostels (nice in Japan!) and eating in local places. $4000AUD should last you 4 weeks if you're careful.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Lcuy and ggreen.

Ggreen - I found that girl's blog very inspirational! Thanks so much for putting me on to it. I have e-mailed her with a few questions, but so far, no reply.

I actually had already considered Japan, but had dismissed it as being too expensive. I think I will hae to reconsider though!

Thanks everyone for your help!