Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

End of March - Seeking a fabulous ryokan relatively near Tokyo for 2 nights

Old Oct 6th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We usually don't plan this far in advance, but I just got award tickets to accompany Mr. Crosscheck on a 12-day work trip to Hong Kong-Shanghai-Seoul-Tokyo. At the end, we will have two free nights (1.5 days) and would like a relaxing experience at a stunning traditional ryokan with amazing food. Prefer less than 2.5 hours from Tokyo by train. Great scenery a plus. Willing to splurge - Will be an anniversary celebration of sorts. We have both been to Kyoto, but not for a while so that's a possibility, but we'd probably like to spend our one full day relaxing rather than sightseeing. Hakone seems more accessible, except one place I read about required a bullet train, a regular train, a toy train and a cable car. All suggestions appreciated.
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 10:43 AM

We had a great stay at Hakone Ginyu in June. Difficult to get a reservation, it seems to always be sold out, we were lucky to get one night. Spacious rooms, gorgeous setting, incredible food. You do have to take all those train to get to the ryokan but you take the cable car to get to some of the other sightseeing areas. It's expensive, two nights would be quite a splurge. Others on the Asia forum have also stayed there. You reserve thru the ryokan collection, takes several days to get a confirmation
http://www.ryokancollection.com/eng/...?ryokan=hakone
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 12:39 PM

Hakone Ginyu is indeed lovely. we stayed there (for 1 night) last November.
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 04:38 PM

Gora Kadan

Hakone Ginyu

Asaba Ryokan

Arai Ryokan

All close to Tokyo and all are fabulous

Aloha!
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 03:15 AM

Link to a detailed, photo-filled trip report for Gora Kadan:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...one-japan.html
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all these amazing suggestions. Considering all of them. DT, the FT TR was awesome. When will we be able post photos on Fodors??

Asaba and Gora Kadan are bookable through Relais & Chateau. Hakone Ginyu seems to be sold out, but I have emailed them. Arai is also intriguing and currently on sale on booking.com - I went to the Izu peninsula my first time in Japan (on backpacking trip planned by a friend who was living there) and the onsens were extraordinary.

Checking into logistics - we won't be able to leave Tokyo for Hakone or Izu until the late afternoon, so I'm not sure if it's worth it to stay at any of these places for two nights. However, if we spend an additional night in Tokyo and travel the following morning, we will have just one night at the ryokan. This would be more budget friendly, but we wouldn't have as much relaxation time...
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 01:15 PM

Honestly I thought one night at Hakone Ginyu was just fine (we did leave Tokyo super early to get there)
Old Oct 9th, 2014, 03:27 PM

Warm greetings again, crosscheck, from a fine Friday morning in Seoul. (And do hope you continue to post trip reports; have always appreciated your delightful prose and humour.)

Can't help with "relatively near Tokyo" ryokan suggestions, but you've already received some fine opinions and links. Should you end up staying in Tokyo, can personally vouch for some most efficient and enjoyable business travel stays at the Mandarin Oriental and the Park Hyatt, as well as a sweet and all-too-short weekend leisure stay at the Four Seasons at Marunouchi.

Regarding the Four Seasons (and your stated itinerary of Seoul), will give an update on what should be a most welcome addition to the expanding FS portfolio, the Four Seasons Seoul. Earlier this week, I attended a meeting and presentation concerning this property, presently slated to open ~ May of next year. Perhaps too late for your Seoul stay, but worth keeping in mind for future visits. I have a good feeling about the FS Seoul. The General Manager will be Mr. Lubosh Barta, a fine gentleman I got to know through various meetings and receptions when he was with the FS property in Bangkok. Hoteling is in his blood and highly suspect he will have a most competent and gracious staff. Interesting and highly appreciated lodging developments at present in Seoul (and looking forward to the new FS Dubai, opening next month).

You are probably sorted for lodging at your other locations. If not, have always had seamless business travel stays at the Mandarin Oriental, Island Shangri-La (and fine holiday stays at the Peninsula) in HK; the MO and the Four Seasons and Shangri-La Pudong properties in Shanghai; and, The Shilla and Park Hyatt in Seoul.

Finally, noticed you procured award tickets for your flights; well done. Any chance they will be via "our" Singapore Airlines, that cherished carrier I'll be flying home to SIN later today out of Incheon? If so, honoured to offer SIA seating & dining suggestions (and, as always, lodging suggestions in our city-state).

Savour your planning, crosscheck; very happy for you. Early and warm weekend wishes to you and all from S. Korea,

robert

... Singapore Girl, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old Oct 9th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi AO. Thanks for your kind words and all the suggestions. The new FS sounds fabulous, but we will be there before it opens. We are staying at one of the hotels you mentioned, but in general the choice of accommodation is out of our hands (and booked well in advance). Sadly we will not be flying Singapore Airlines, although I believe Mr. C's organization has used - and loved - Singapore in the past. I'm happy to be tagging along, but other than the brief ryokan visit, we won't be able to do our usual forays into rural areas

When the time comes closer, I will be hitting everyone up for restaurant, day trip and shopping advice. Looking forward to your input.
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 06:47 AM

Hi - Here's something different:
You should try
千寿庵
http://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/bekk...tml?aid=384377

I stayed here with my family and it was one of the most luxurious Ryokan... it was AMAZING!
You can take the bullet train from Tokyo and it is about 70 minutes. If you ask the hotel, they will pick you up from the station! The room we stay had private onsen.. the food was super. The service was great!

Also check out: OnsenTipster.com if you are still looking for more! (This will be perfect if you are going next year!)

Hope this helps!
Old Nov 24th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Update: Just booked a 'panoramic tub suite' at Gora-Kadan on Tablet. Hakone Ginyu was too much of a hassle - like applying for college. Had to fill out an application on an obscure site and wait to hear if there was room, then possibly get waitlisted. Maybe an essay would help with the admissions process!

Asaba is also available on Tablet. Anyone want to speak up with pros and cons, Gora-Kadan vs. Asaba? Where is the weather likely to be better? We're going at the very end of March.

Turns out we can only go for one night because we have an obligation in Tokyo on the evening we were going to leave. We're fine with this because we would have arrived late, which would have caused an issue with dinner. And one night means we can stay at a high end place with less guilt. We plan to take an early train from Tokyo and do some sightseeing before check-in.

AskOsena, Mr. Crosscheck's colleagues (a huge group) are indeed flying Singapore for the last leg of the trip. But because we're staying for two extra nights, we're heading home on JAL, booked with AA miles. Sorry to miss out on Singapore this time...but we WILL be back.