Elephant Rides Near Bangkok

Oct 15th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Susie

Elephant Rides Near Bangkok

Does anyone know how I can get an elephant ride from a location near Bangkok? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in Advance. Susie

Oct 15th, 2002, 01:50 PM
orgy7

You may sometimes find a thai and a baby elephent on the side walk of a bussy sreet in Bangkok I'm not usre if they are for riding or photos, but this is bangkok you can get "anything" for money.. .. but I don't think thats quite the experience your looking for..

Oct 16th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Mathieu

You can choose Kanchanaburi or Hua Hin, both you can get to in a few hours and both have jungle elephant treks.

Oct 16th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Heather

Hi Susie,
I just returned from Thailand this evening. A few days ago we rode an elephant thru the jungle north of Chiang Mai. At the time my husband and I thought it cute that our "teenage" pachoderm taxi was disobedient to the point that he held up the procession behind us. (I wasn't comfortable when the mahout hit him between the eyes with a metal-tipped club, but tenatively reassured myself that the elephant's thick skin could tolerate it. Besides--we fed him plenty of bananas and sugar cane!)

Cut to the first flight home yesterday: I read a brief article in a British newspaper about how PETA videotaped baby elephants at a training camp in Thailand being tortured in order to break them.

I accessed PETA's website and was only able to watch the first few minutes of this heart-breaking video. Seeing baby elephants cry out in sheer terror as they are caged, shackled, beaten, and stabbed with metal hooks until they bleed, collapse and literally shit themselves was too much to take.

I'm no bleeding heart animal activist (I eat meat, wear leather and squash bugs.) , but I encourage you to check out the video before engaging in this tourist folly on your visit to Thailand.
Heather

Oct 17th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Alisa

Heather, thank you so much for the valuable information! Any kind-hearted person would have the same reaction you did (you don't need to be an "animal activist"). A lot of people just don't realize. You should post your experience and info on the lonely planet thorn tree site too. again, thank you very much.

Oct 17th, 2002, 08:59 AM
EasyRider

There are plenty of things to "ride" in Bangkok that are more fun then an elephant.