Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Eaton Hotel Hong Kong (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/eaton-hotel-hong-kong-261470/)

Kris Sep 27th, 2002 07:26 AM

Eaton Hotel Hong Kong

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? Frommer's gives it a nice write up but it's in the budget section of the book. I think I've seen mention of small rooms which is OK as long as the beds aren't small. Is the location OK? Close to public transport?<BR><BR>I'm trying to keep the cost around $100US per night but still have a comfortable room, The Eaton is $97 at www.asia-hotels.com, about $110 with tax, for a Club Superior.<BR><BR>Thanks!

lita Sep 27th, 2002 08:50 PM

I have not stayed in the Eaton Hotel and am surprised that they charged so high because I have been receiving promotion leaflet from Eaton that they charge (I cannot remember the exact figure) around HK$500 ? per night. However I cannot commend on this hotel but I can recommend another one to you which I have tried. The Newton Inn Hotel, a new, small and clean hotel, but in a market place. Its sister hotel Newton Hotel is also reasonable. No need to worry about the location because they are covered by Mass Transit train.

Lisa Sep 30th, 2002 07:32 PM

I stayed at the Kowloon Hotel in Kowloon this last April. It's very high tech with small rooms but safe and inexpensive. It was recommended in both Fodors and Frommers. it's called a businessman's Hotel because you wouldn't spend much time there.

dko3tgk Oct 2nd, 2002 03:53 PM

I stayed at the Eaton Hotel this past July. In my opinion it is a good hotel for Kowloon. There are many lower priced hotels, but they felt really small, and really skimped on the little things. The Eaton is the first one I have tried of 5 Kowloon hotels so far that feel like a major hotel, with nice amenities. There are cheaper hotels, but some have rooms so small that I had to sleep with my luggage on my bed. The Eaton room was still small by western standards, but the bed was normal, and it had a small writing desk. Alot more than I can say for other Kowloon hotels where you can kick the TV from the bed. I paid about $70 USD per night for a standard room, no breakfast. THe cheaper hotels cost about $50 a night but make you feel like you are sleeping in a furnished college dorm closet. THe Miramar which is around the block, looked similar in quality, but I only had lunch there. The Shamrock Hotel, which may feel a little more run down, is cheap and room size is reasonable. <BR>I have a travel agent contact who negotiated the price directly with the hotel for me. Next time I go to HK, I'm requesting the Eaton first. <BR>

Kris Oct 2nd, 2002 06:58 PM

Thanks for the input and the other suggestions, I think I will stick with the Eaton. The Kowloon is actually more expensive although I've heard good things about it. I think the high rates are due to us going in season in early Nov. And the room at the Eaton is a Club superior which hopefully will get us a double bed and a little more room.<BR><BR>BTW, I also tried Priceline Asia with no luck for these dates under $100. But I did get the Sheraton for our final night for HK650, quite a bit less than the HK1500 the Sheraton is claiming as their best rate.