Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Easy to arrange day trips whilst in Bali?

Notices

Old May 9th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm leaving for Bali in 2 days. My travelling partner plans to spa and suntan for most of the time whilst I'm debating on a day trip or two. Would it be possible to arrange for day trips easily from downtown Kuta (are there many agencies around etc.)? This can be both group tours or driver+car kind of arrangement...I just need to know if it easily arrangeable at the last minute.

Also, any good day tours to recommend would be appreciated. I like crafts villages, natural scenery, shopping etc. Monkeys optional.

Thanks very much.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:36 AM

Yes, you can arrange day trips on the spot - and it will be much chaeper than scheduling ahead. I always just hire a car and driver. I really don't recommend the group tours.
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:56 PM

It's also very easy to rent your own car - even just for a day. Just be sure you're comfortable driving a stick on the left hand side of the road. We did this a few years ago & enjoyed the freedom it gave us to explore. Have fun!
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I'm probably going to have to do the day trip alone...hence the idea of taking a group tour vs driver/car. In your opinion, would it be safe to be traipsing around the countryside with the driver/guide alone? I'm female, obviously, and petite - very um...vulnerable-looking.

Old May 9th, 2006, 08:58 PM

The place you are staying either has drivers on staff, or could arrange one for you. I recommend this route rather than a tour. With your own driver you are free to go wherever you please. If you are lucky and have a good relationship with your driver, you will be treated to meeting his mother, wife, kids...snacks at his house, and a good look at Balinese life. See how the person who picks you up at the airport is...if you like him you can keep him. Otherwise, try another, and another, until you find one you like. Before making a deal, see the car and meet the driver..that way you can be sure you will be comfortable.
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:56 AM

Yes, it is certainly safe to go around Bali with a driver.