Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   easy relaxing trip from guangzhou? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/easy-relaxing-trip-from-guangzhou-1001330/)

cristanann Dec 30th, 2013 04:17 PM

easy relaxing trip from guangzhou?

In fall 2014, my husband and I will travel to Guangzhou, China, to visit friends. We plan to spend about 10 days with them, and were then hoping to take an easy, relaxing trip to a beach somewhere for about a week. From Guangzhou, where would be a good place to go? We would like to stay under 200 USD per day for lodging and food. Proximity to sightseeing isn't as important as easy to get to, good food, good sun, and relaxation.

This will be our first time to Asia, so we are hoping to temper the heavy sightseeing of our Guangzhou leg with some relaxation. I very much appreciate any help that experienced travelers might have!

Kathie Dec 30th, 2013 04:24 PM

exactly when are you traveling? October is different from November weather-wise. Of the places you list, the only one I'd recommend for beaches is Thailand. I don't know that there are non-stop flights from Guangzhou, but you can certainly get there with one stop.

jobin Dec 30th, 2013 05:51 PM

What about Hainan Island, said to be the Hawaii of China and no doubt with many domestic airflights. Top golf too!! Hmm. Your departure is a long time off. Why so nervous?

harrybridges Dec 30th, 2013 09:51 PM

guangzhou tower which is the highest building of guangzhou is a nice place, you can go there at night, tianhecheng great places for shopping, beijing road and shangxiajiu road for delicious food

cristanann Dec 31st, 2013 05:20 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will make sure Harry's recommendations are on our list for Guangzhou!

We plan to go in October. Kathie, can you recommend specific places in Thailand?

Jobin, I will certainly look into Hainan Island. You're right that I'm nervous! I always get a little spooked when doing things for the first time, and this will actually be my first time off of North America. :-)

Kathie Dec 31st, 2013 05:28 AM

October is the most difficult month to find a Thai beach with good weather. The monsoon direction is changing, and all of the beaches are likely to have rain. If you don't mind some rain, you can get beautiful resorts at great prices. Look at places in Phuket, Krabi, Koh Lak.

If weather is really important to you, I might recommend Bali, though it's a much longer flight.

It has been many years since I was in Guangzhou. It is not a great sight-seeing city, as it is a huge industrial city. But your friends will know of interesting places nearby.

temppeternh Dec 31st, 2013 08:10 PM

> What about Hainan Island, said to be the Hawaii of China

Only by people who haven't been there (or who haven't been to Hawaii).

If it's truly relaxing beaches that are wanted it's necessary to leave China. I'd suggest the cheap Mega Maldives Airlines flights from Hong Kong and other Chinese cities, but the weather there in October is gusty and rainy.

Guangzhou is one of China's noisiest cities: truly cacophonous, and the opposite of relaxing. If you're not staying with friends then stay on Shamian Island which is largely car-free, and breezes along the river blow some of the murk away. Or simply visit for a stroll around.

Shanghainese Jan 2nd, 2014 10:40 AM

I have been to Guangzhou 1/2 dozen times, I love the food but as Kathie pointed out there is not much sightseeing to do, certainly not for 10 days. My thought is take 5 days out of the 10 and go to Beijing, and head to a beach outside of China after that.

Keep in mind if your friends are taking you to HongKong and you need to get back into China, you need a multi-visit visa.

jobin Jan 2nd, 2014 09:29 PM

Ugh. Beijing is nothing but a monster. Overgrown and ugly, polluted to the nth degree, a tourist nightmare and headquarters of the world's largest communist (aka evil) government. But you may go if you that is what you fancy. I could suggest that if you have time try a nice train ride to Kunming and see some 'real' china.

HappyTrvlr Jan 5th, 2014 01:19 PM

Make sure you take into consideration that Oct.1 is National Day and it and the days following , Golden Week, are a huge Chinese holiday when Chinese have days off from work and travel in droves.