Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Eastern and Oriental - Penang (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/eastern-and-oriental-penang-810139/)

WinterTravel Oct 13th, 2009 12:15 PM

Eastern and Oriental - Penang

From the threads that mention the Eastern & Oriental Hotel in Penang (and the reviews on hotel review sites) it seems that positive/negative reaction to staying at the hotel depends on the specific room that one gets. We are considering a stay and wanted to get input on specific rooms to ask for if we do. Any room numbers/locations/other hints most appreciated! Many thanks.

Smeagol Oct 13th, 2009 12:19 PM

A room directly over the pool in the older section of the hotel is a MUST.

Kathie Oct 13th, 2009 01:56 PM

I was on the other side of the lobby in a Premier suite (balcony, overlooking the water) and it was great. I think there are a wide variety of rooms that are fine. I also think that what people like may be different. I wouldn't want to be over the pool because of noise.

Smeagol Oct 13th, 2009 09:55 PM

I also had a premier suite room and whilst it was directly over the pool there was zero noise, however i would want to make sure i wasn't over the bar!!. WT- we had several rooms due to an inforced stop in Penang because wouldn't get the flight to Bangkok and the first "premier suite" they showed us was rather uninspiring (did overlook the water and had a balcony) but was also right by a very noisy air conditioning unit.
My understanding is the rooms in the older wing have far more character and are newly decorated

WinterTravel Oct 14th, 2009 08:32 AM

Thanks Kathie and Smeagol. Is it best for us then to specify "older wing" in our email to reservations (will they know what that means)? From the website it looks like there are ground floor rooms -- is it best to avoid these (and request higher floor)? Any chance you recall the room number of the "premier suite" you recommend (not the one by the A/C unit)?

Kathie Oct 14th, 2009 09:58 AM

We were on the second floor, which was fine for me. I, personally, wouldn't want a ground floor room. I usually like high floors, but I liked the room we had. I'll look and see if I have a note about a room number, and I'll bet Smeagol can give you a number as well.

Smeagol Oct 14th, 2009 09:58 AM

Looking at my bills the nice room we had was number 105 (i think) they also upgraded us to a suite (can't remember the name) when we came back (again) from another aborted attempt to get to BKK last Nov. That though whilst nice was RIGHT over the bar!!!!! room 105 was not a ground floor room though??? (as i definately remember walking down stairs to go to the pool/breakfast.) I have to add here that Muffin thinks i'm a bit of a hotel snob (i'm not) but even he thought the very first and 3rd rooms we had were average. Room 105 and the Suite though were lovely. I am fairly certain the original room we didn't like was something like 246 or 267

Kathie Oct 14th, 2009 05:26 PM

Our room number was 231.

mrwunrfl Oct 14th, 2009 11:16 PM

To get to my E&O room from the lobby I walked past the restaurant down the hall to the elevator. On the second floor I continued in the same direction, make a turn left and right.

It was a beautiful room with a balcony and a wonderful view of the water. I really enjoyed it. Premier Suite sound right.

One evening the seas were crashing against the wall and spilling into the area on the east (mainland) side of the pool. The waves shot 15-20 feet in the air and then flowed across the grass.

Smeagol Oct 15th, 2009 04:00 AM

I think my very first room was to the very far left of the hotel (past the restaurant up in the lift and then a bit of a walk along the corridor)very oridnary room and as i said near a very noisy aircon. The room i had that was over the pool whilst smaller than the firts room was beautifully decorated and appointed with loads of character.

WinterTravel Oct 15th, 2009 02:57 PM

Thanks so much to all -- very helpful indeed!