east coast usa departures to thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have just booked my trip for next fall...using FF miles this time on northwest, but travelling on Air France from boston through paris to bangkok....

actual flying time is only 18 hours, 10 minutes....overall time is 32 1/2 hours with a full day in paris.... this is very favorable when compared to the favorable thai air direct flight from jfk at 17 hours and 5 minutes flying time, which seems fantastic....some might not like the full day in paris but it delights me....both flights are over a night...leave boston at 8PM and leave paris at 11:15PM...fantastic in my view...

best of all there are no extreme time arrivals and departures...no more 6AM departure and midnight arrivals in bkk..

returning flights are more routinely spaced and take a bit longer flight time wise....you leave bkk at 11:30 PM and arrive in boston at 3:10PM one day later with only 7 hours in CDG....

i thought this might open up some more options for people....it is competitively priced as well...

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 04:35 AM

Interesting routing, Bob, and a great pair of cities. Paris and Bangkok strike me as being contrasting harmonies (to steal a line from Puccini): the speed and Gallic indifference of Paris compared to the measured pace and welcoming smiles of Bangkok; yet two cities rich in culture and history and places to explore.

In terms of mileage, BOS-CDG-BKK is only about 450 miles (about 50 mins flying time) longer then BOS-JFK-BKK, so it's not surprising that the overall flying times are similar.

But but but but but .... are you planning to get a room for the day in Paris, or are you planning a marathon with only an airplane seat for a bed?

I'm trying to avoid any hygiene questions.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 06:19 AM

On many US airlines' FF programs, it cost more miles to fly to Asia via a connection in Europe. Also, ticket prices are often higher.

But I'll agree that in some instances, it may work out well, especially for Bangkok. UA & NW have horrible arrival and departure times if you fly through Tokyo.

My parents have always wanted to try IAH-AMS-HKG on KLM to earn maximum mileage and EQM for their trips to Hong Kong, and they don't even mind a longish stopever in Amsterdam. But the prices are never right, compared to IAH-EWR-HKG on CO or other Pacific routing.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

don---yes i think we will have a room for the day/nite...our english friends will come over for the day and i will allow them the use of the room overnite while we fly onwards...so we will have the best of both worlds...

rkk---things may be changing...on a price comparison today the east bound bkk flt was about $300 cheaper than the westbound flight....also flying times are about 5 hours shorter---actual flying times...

this is a change...maybe new flying routes have opened up????
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Hey Bob,

Do you have any room in your suitcase??
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

for you and the boss, yes and one bottle of the best scotch as well...
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:14 AM

Bob- your flying time out will be shorter due to your getting the jet stream but I suspect it will take longer coming back as you would be fighting the jet stream- so the proper comparison for both routes would be total flying time round trip. How does that stack up?
Someday we will make the trip to Paris- but as someone once said the problem with Paris is that it is full of Parisians! The best combination would be Paris run by the Vietnamese!!!
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

it's about 1 1/2 to 2 hours longer returning...