Easiest Travel tip from Bangkok Airport to Peninsula

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive at 4:30PM and likely will not leave airport until 5:30. For an extra $5-$15 we want the the most reliable and fastest means of tranport for 2 persons with 4 fairly large pieces of luggage-not huge though- to the Pensinsula Hotel?
Where do we go at airport to get such transport, arriving on Thai Airways, with shortest wait but not get ripped off and good air conditioned sedan? We do not want limo. What is approximate cost? Thanks.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:54 AM

As soon as you exit the customs area and enter the airport, there are different car service booths. It's very easy. Just tell them what you want and they'll send a car around. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 07:01 AM

We arranged a car from the Pen. Someone was there to meet us upon arrival and whisked us and our bags into the car and off we went.

It was nice. We didn't have to think.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 07:02 AM

15$ is not the extra...it's the price...

A Limo to the city should not cost more than 600-800 THB... you can even get a Van for this price...just go to the counter after you exit the customs...
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Note that the Limo services do not offer what you think of as a limo. It's a Mercedes or Volvo sedan. I expect that is what you want. Just go to the counter, they'll have one for you right away.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:44 AM

I always get the car from the Oriental. It's such a treat to see the man with the orange jacket waiting for me and for the $42 I consider it a bargain since I pay that for a taxi to ohare, I know I can do it cheaper but I find other ways and places to save money. This is a luxury I feel is worth every cent.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:55 AM

I, too, like to get the car service from the Penn itself. They are there with a sign with your name on it, waiting for you. It costs more to do this, but the Mercedes or Rolls is a NICE way to begin a stay at the Penn. And you really don't have to worry about your bags. They take them from you and guide you right to the waiting car.
Carol
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 11:27 AM

The same level of service is available from the AAC Limo service located in the airport. I prearranged service and a man was waiting with a sign indicating that he was waiting for me, he took my bags and we were off to the hotel. While he was not in a Rolls, the service was consistent, reliable and they use white mercedes. In any event I recommend that one prearrange such a service since you are just off the plane after at least 16 hours, tired and ready to get to the hotel ASAP.. Enjoy. chr
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:27 PM

depending on the size of your case---4 might be a problem, so you need a lime type service....you will be approached....don't apy more than 900 to the penn....
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 09:45 PM

If you want the "easiest and most reliable", then send an e-mail to the Penn and arrange to use their car service. It will be done now, you don't pay until you leave the hotel, they are waiting for you when you arrive, no messing about at counters bleary from jet lag and juggling bags to find Baht or credit cards to pay with, cold water, towels and a newspaper will be waiting for you in the car. The charge is about US$47. If you want a bit less ease, you can arrange for a car at the counters as noted above. The website for the airport is http://www.airportthai.co.th. Click on Bangkok, or take a look at http://www.airportthai.co.th/airport....html#service7 . Not sure when your trip is, the new airport is allegedly going to open in the summer, so the above website may not be as helpful if you are at the new airport.

Something to consider whether you take the Penn's car or a taxi or private car service is that you are going to be in traffic at prime rush hour. Therefore, you might really consider having the car drop you at the Penn's private pier on the Shangri-La side of the river and take the Penn's ferry over. The hotel will take care of getting your bags over from that point on, you do not have to schlep them yourself. This will save you at least 15-20 minutes on the bridge and traffic on the other side, and at that hour could in fact save you 30 minutes or more. Take a look at the Penn's website for information on the location of the pier, it is called the Peninsula Pier, go to http://bangkok.peninsula.com/pbk/location_01.html.

For some reason, the Penn rarely mentions this option when you book a car with them, you often have to remind them of this, or remind the driver when you are in the car. (I was just there over Chinese New Year, and forgot to do so until I was on the bridge at 5:30 pm on Friday and so it was too late. It took over 30 minutes from that point to get to the hotel and I was not coming off of a 16 hour flight and had no jet lag, but I was pretty annoyed at that point, so you might be really crazed. (Between immigration (almost an hour in line) and traffic from the airport it took me 2.5 hours to get to the hotel, which is about the same time as it did to fly to Bangkok from Hong Kong).

When leaving the hotel for the airport, it is usually almost always faster to have a car or taxi meet you at the Penn Pier on the Shangri-La side of the river as well.

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:28 AM

Not sure why you'd need 4 large suitcases for only 2 people unless you're planning to stay in one place for several months (which I don't think).

Just so you know, you can buy almost everything there for a fraction of the price. Also, since it's so hot and humid there you need to wear breathable fabrics, there's lots of shops where you can buy clothing. You also don't want to be wearing your nice fancy clothes (particuarly white) as they will get dirty for sure w/ the smog and pollution.

Same with toileteries. Thailand's tourist industry is HUGE, lots of Brits and Aussies travel there so the make sure they accomodate for our needs by stocking their pharmacies with just about everything we can find locally.

Just letting you know as a FYI, instead of lugging 4 large suitcases.

As for find adequate transportation from the airport, Guenmai is right on.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:46 AM

The need for 4 large suitcases is simple- shopping tends to fill them up!
The wife and I always go with 4 large suitcasesa and as many carry ons as allowed. We always come back packed to the gills!!!! Now if you are not shoppers.... then yes you certainly can get by with less luggage!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:53 AM

Bill, you are so right! We each carry two suitcases, one of which is empty when we arrive and which is full when we fly home!

When I was in Bangkok in November, I used one of the car services just outside customs and they gave us a Mercedes van, which was perfect for all of our luggage.

Cicerone, your story of standing in line for immigration for an hour makes me grateful that I always arrive near midnight. I've never spent more than 15 minutes in line, and usually much less.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 12:07 PM

In December, when I arrived in BK, at 6:40AM the immigration lines were slower than usual.I was on the non-stop L.A.-BK flight.I've also found them slower when I've arrived into BK on the afternoon flights. Those I'm on when I'm in Singapore first before going up to BK. To BK,I'm usually on the flight that stops in Japan first and arrives to BK late at night...which I really prefer. I like to arrive late and then just go to bed and wake up fresh the next morning, plus the immigration lines do tend to move faster on those late-night flights. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 12:15 PM

On the other hand we prefer to arrive in the afternoon- as we are sometimes wide eyed and not ready to sleep and if we arrive late at night there is not much to do while we wait until we are tired enough to sleep! Different strokes...
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 12:26 PM

I'm with Bill. I love arriving in the late afternoon. Gives me time to unpack, have dinner and go to sleep. When I get in late at night it ends up being 2 or 3 AM before I get to bed and that means my body is screwed up for another night.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 12:37 PM

A quick traffic question from the airport to the Penn: Our flight arrives at 6:30PM on a Wednesday night... I assume there would be a lot of traffic at that time. From the post above, would it be best to have the car drop us off at the pier across the river??
Also, we are departing on a Saturday at around 1:30 PM for a 3PM domestic flight to Chiang Mai... should we have the car pick us up at the hotel or the pier??

Thanks everyone... Ken
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 12:52 PM

You probably need to leave earlier than 1:30 for a 3pm flight- you are cutting it too close I should think.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 04:43 PM

Personally, I think it is fun to arrive via the river boat, and as you don't have to handle the bags not a hassle at all. You could wait until you get near the cut off point for the pier versus the bridge and then see how bad the traffic has been and looks and ask your driver to decide (depending on English level and comprehension of the driver of course).

For getting to the airport, Saturday is better than a weekday although not great, I think many Thais still work a half day on Saturday, so again I would leave from accross the river if you can.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 05:23 PM

I am planning to travel alone to Bangkok, 40 year old female. I lived in Bangkok as a child for 2 1/2 years, and have always wanted to go back. My mother discourages this as it will be so different, but I am drawn to it, can't seem to get Bangkok out of my head. I looked into the Davis Hotel, is this a good area for a single female traveler? Any suggestions, safety tips, helpful websites, etc., would be very welcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -