Early Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand Trip

Jan 14th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Early Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand Trip

Although we are not planning this trip until Nov. 05 or Jan. 06...Just doing some early research..We are planning on doing Vietnam for about 10 days, then Angkor Wat, ending up in BKK (probably Bangkok Marriot Resort)..Now do you think we should end our trip here and stay 5 or 6 days...or go to Koh Samui? We have been to Phuket, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Koh Samet on previous trips and that is why we would choose Koh Samui...Or would we be better off just staying in BKK, the resort does look awfully nice!
Jan 14th, 2005, 10:17 AM

tracy---as i am now famous for saying the marriott is almost like being at the beach....

i liked samui, but did not find it to be fabulous....you have more control of your spending in bkk as there are so many options open to you...i.e. restaurants....

depends on what you think you need....i think the marriott pool offers as much if not more than some beach hotel---just no sand...

after angkor you will just want to relax...marriott would be perfect for that....generally beach hotels are far more expensive than bkk hotels and often don't offer as much ...imo....

plus it is relatively expensive to get to samui via air as bkk air has a monopoly---about $250 r.t.

hope this helps
Jan 14th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Good reply rhkkmk...I will keep this in mind.
Jan 14th, 2005, 11:47 AM

I think if you have already been to the other resorts then Koh Samui would be a good choice, yes, the air fare is expensive but there is another routing and that is to fly Thai Airways to Surat Thani ( mainland ) and that is just a short ride to the Surat Thani pier for the boat to Samui.
Yes it takes longer but if you look upon it as part of your whole experience then it is just fine, the return fare on Thai from Bangkok to Surat Thani is these days well under half what the Samui fare is.
Jan 16th, 2005, 05:14 AM

Just spent several days(Jan.05) at Marriot Resort, Bangkok. Have no reservation in recommending the hotel.
1.Fantastic choices of buffet breakfast.
2.Nice,large rooms.
3.Frequent shuttle ferry service to MRT.
4.Refreshing pool to come back to,after a hot day of sightseeing.
5.Would certainly return to stay there again.

In Andkor Wat, check out the boutique hotel, Pansea Angkor with friendly staff,nice pool,good location and great breakfast.Was there 04/2004
Jan 16th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

That is where we will stay when we go to Angkor Wat as well..I looked up their website and it looks gorgeous..Now we have to add up everything and see if we can even afford it all!! Usually we travel more budget, so we would be treating ourselves...Thanks for all the info you guys as I continue my research!!