Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Public Bath Houses (eg. Genko Land) in Japan.

Old Dec 26th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

World travelers,

I am curious to know among you guys have experienced being in a public bath house in Japan during a visit? How was the experience for you being totally naked, bathing with other people with the same gender but, mostly Japanese. I can only imagine this being more awkward to the gents.

I visited Japan last Spring and wasnt able to try it. I cannot just bare the awkwardness of people staring at my naked body (exclusive for my boyfriend. haha).

So you guys can share you insights and funny stories.

cheers!
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 01:09 AM

Much more staring actually on the street in the countryside. Baths everyone is the same. Just take care to observe proper bathing etiquette.
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

I was in Japan, but I didnt try it. Its like the Asian version of nude beaches of Europe. Not a pretty sight at all.

I enjoyed Disneyland most. Best in the world, and I really enjoy Tokyo fashion. You can wear whatever you want and experiment and people dont mind or look at you in a weird way. AWESOME
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 05:53 AM

That thought never entered my mind actually.

I was worried more about proper bathing etiquette and not splashing soap everywhere while bathing and not having any soap on me when I entered the hot spring baths than being naked in front of other guys. I think that is more of a woman's train of thought(OMG I am going to get it for this one).

Other than that it is the same as showering in your local gym after a work out or country club or a sports locker room situation. If you are uncomfortable in those atmosphere's then you will be uncomfortable in a Japanese public bath.

See here for proper bathing etiquette if you feel adventurous next time in Japan. Give it a try, especially in a hot spring town....you will love it!

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2292_how.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2074.html

Aloha!
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm female, and I didn't have a problem with it. No one stared. (Note, by no one, I include myself.)

If you didn't try it, why would you think it was the equivalent of nude beaches? You're under water a lot of the time.