Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Early June: Penang or Koh Samui? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/early-june-penang-or-koh-samui-564618/)

easywalker Oct 14th, 2005 06:00 PM

Early June: Penang or Koh Samui?

I'll be visiting SE Asia late next Spring, and would like to end up my stay at a beach resort. My timeframe for the beach resort will be several days in early June. Would any of you more experienced travelers have an idea as to whether Penang, Malaysia or Koh Samui, Thailand would be a good choice? Would the monsoon season be a factor at either area? Thanks very much.

rhkkmk Oct 14th, 2005 06:36 PM

i can tell you that this june i visited both koh chang--east of pattaya and phuket...

we had some rain in both places....longest was 1/2 day but usually it was just one hour...often it rained at nite as well...

you have to plan on some rain...it can come down very hard...it never ruined any of our plans... good forcasts on the TV daily

easywalker Oct 17th, 2005 07:40 PM

Anyone?

ly_wan Oct 17th, 2005 08:14 PM

Weather on June in Penang wouldn't bother much. As June is mid of the year, the weather will probably hot. Only on September it can get heavy rain fall or most of the time cloudy. If you are thinking of beach activity, June should not be a problem. If you are travel independently, be careful of the cab fare.

JamesA Oct 17th, 2005 09:01 PM

June you should be ok weatherwise on Samui ( about 4.4 ins per month ), Penang shows 7.7 ins per month, Samui is in Gulf of Thailand so different area altogether.

In choosing one or the other they are quite different, the main beach area on penang is Batu Ferringhi, my own opinion is the beaches aren't that much good. There are some restaurants but very little nightlife except some hotel discos which are quite boring, if nightlife and lots of restaurants are part of your vacation idea then Samui would be far far better. Samui is overall are far livelier places, beach accommodation ranges from large resorts to bungaows and cheap places on the beach, Batu ferringhi tends to be large hotel style resorts, the other beach area between georetown and Batu Ferringhi ( Tanjang something..) I thought the beach was terrible.

Cicerone Oct 17th, 2005 10:32 PM

Take a look at weatherbase.com, use Surat Thani for Samui and George Town for Penang. June is the start of the monsoon season on the west coast of Thailand so you will have marginally more rain there.

I have not been to Penang in more than 15 years but have to agree with James that I don't think the beaches are that good, and in fact I have never thought of it as a beach resort destination. It is more like Malacca in that is has a good bit of colonial era buildings and charm left and is worth a visit for that reason, but I would not go for the beaches. That is my general view on the west coast of Malaysia in general, even Langkawi cannot compare to east coast beaches, esp east coast offshore islands. There was a lot of tin mining along the west coast up until the middle of the last century which affected beaches, water clarity and sea life. I donít think they were as pretty to begin with and the mining didn't help. I would go to Samui or another island in the Gulf of Thailand.

easywalker Oct 19th, 2005 07:22 PM

Thank you all, very much. I appreciate your sharing your experiences with me!

Bella_Bluebell Oct 20th, 2005 05:47 AM

Hi - I agree that Penang is not a beach resort. My cousin lived there for 8 years and refused point blank to even swim in the sea as she said it was so polluted. They used to hop over to Langkawi for the weekend for £20 return (residents/ex-pats get better flight and hotel deals than tourists). I think Samui will be your better bet - we went in June 2 years ago and the weather was lovely.

lenori Oct 20th, 2005 08:20 AM

is that the only option u have? koh samui and penang? well,if your going to travel around SE Asia, maybe you would like to go to Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. Borneo. I actually grew up there and i think that there are a few great beach resorts there depending on your budget and its so cheap to travel here if you book early on airasia.com.

by the way, if ur in sabah by 30may, u can watch the most awaited celebration in sabah that is the harvest festival. so if youre coming in june its all hot and humid. great for sun bathing and those sea sports.

i can recommend u sutera harbout resort, shangri-la tanjung aru resort, shangri-la rasa ria resort, nexus karambunai resort, borneo paradise, there is so many beach resorts but they are located far apart so no need to worry on over crowded baeches

easywalker Oct 21st, 2005 07:04 PM

Thank you both, very much. I was not aware of Kota Kinabalu and the other locations.

TexasSlim Oct 22nd, 2005 03:43 AM

These islands are chalk & cheese. I love Penang (Georgetown really) for shopping & eating (Indian) but no way would I jump into that polluted sea. Samui on the other hand is fine for beaches, swimming, diving, boat trips. Weather is good for Samui in June.